Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-17-2013, 05:58 PM   #1
Bus Crazy

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: 3800 International
Engine: T444E
Rated Cap: 72
Re: what size convertor

I have a 45amp converter, I run a 5000 btu air in the back of the bus, and 9000btu in the front , I can run both at the same time, plus other stuff while plugged into power. My generator is 3300watt (enverter) same as a eu3000. I can run on 1 air at a time with it, plus other stuff ,also inverter has a built in batter charger in .
gbstewart

Old 04-18-2013, 04:29 AM   #2
Bus Geek

You might be confused, a convertor turns 120V into 12V
An invertor goes from 12V to 120V and to run 2 ac's at same time....wow...that's a lot of power to pull from a battery bank,how do you plan to replace say 400 amps back into your batteries? Or they will be dead very quickly.
I think you need to rethink what you really want to run and with what,your going to need either 50amp shore power or a big generator to run all that
bansil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 04:26 PM   #3
Bus Nut

Year: 1993
Coachwork: AmTran
Chassis: IHC
Engine: Dt360
Rated Cap: 19

Quote:
Originally Posted by hrisch92
I am currently unable to look at the threads in the tutorial and how to it says sytax error or something.
I've sent a note to Steve the Admin to look into this.

Thanks,
Sean
Old 04-18-2013, 09:52 PM   #4
Bus Crazy

this my setup, it was wafco but it blew up, upgraded the converter part to pro dynamics, its complete with 45amp main breaker and 15amps breakers, the converter part is mounted inside and 12 volt flat type fuses are beside the 120volt breakers nice set up,built in 3 stage battery charger as well. nice simple set up.
gbstewart

Old 04-19-2013, 10:55 PM   #5
Bus Crazy

Year: 2000
Coachwork: Eldorado Aerotech 24'
Chassis: Ford E-450 Cutaway Bus
Engine: 7.3L Powerstroke
Rated Cap: 19

Terminology:

A Power Panel houses 120v AC breakers and/or 12v DC fuses and may also house a converter/charger
A CONverter takes 120v AC and makes 12v DC for charging batteries and running 12v lights and appliances.
An INverter takes 12v DC power from the batteries and makes 120v AC power for microwaves, hair dryers etc.

If you're powering all that stuff with a generator you don't need a converter or an inverter; there's no power conversion going on so just plug it into the genny and you're good to go. If you want to power it all from batteries you'll need one big mother of a battery bank and probably a couple of large inverters to change battery DC current to AC.

The Progressive Dynamics power panels are nice units and include a converter with a three-stage battery charger wizard. If you go with a big battery bank you'll need a large converter to charge them in a reasonable time. You'll also need a large alternator. Trying to charge a big bank with a small alternator makes it run at full capacity for long periods and causes it to burn out quickly.

You size the power panel to your input amperage. You can't power a 30 amp (single phase) panel with a 50 amp (two phase) campground plug. To power two air conditioners you'll probably want a 50 amp power panel and a 50 amp extension cord. Be aware that some campgrounds don't have 50 amp power available. Add up the amp draw of your appliances before buying a power panel. A 30 amp panel may not be able to handle all your stuff without tripping the main breaker.
Old 04-20-2013, 08:18 AM   #6
Bus Crazy

I have a 30 amp plug, never had a problem, I can run both air, and the mircowave, you just dont put them on the same circut. the lights are never a problem they are all 12v and work with the converter when you are pluged ing, when you pull the plug they run on the house battery, if you want you can then plug it into a inverter to run the whole bus, but like it has been said you need one big ass battery bank, its really not fesable, I just plug into my genny and off I go, if I need to Ill run it to have a\c while driveing, if we boon dock I have a 1000 watt inverter I can use for tv etc, I can run about 1 1/2 hours with tv and sat before I have to start the gen to charge the house battery, I only have a reg car battery for now, and will get a deepcycle for the house battery this summer, the it will last longer. if need be a I can run the gen to use the microwave, but I do have a propane stove/oven, and the fridge is propane.
here is a link to bestconverters this is the place for info and converters
http://www.bestconverter.com/
gbstewart
Old 04-20-2013, 08:45 AM   #7
Bus Crazy

I forgot to say that you should get a surge protector as well, I learned the hard way. a lot of campsites have iffy electrical setups.
Also in some camp grounds they will charge you more if you have a 50 amp set up. Mostly, don"t over think this, its not like your going to run your microwave all day long
gbstewart