Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-26-2017, 11:28 AM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1998
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Thomas 140HS 84 pass
Engine: RE 5.9L ER6BTA230 w/ MT643 Trans
Rated Cap: 84
What size TV? (I'm a hockey nut)

Hey guys,

In planning my skoolie for fulltime living, one of my "needs" (not really a need, but definitely a "would like to have")... is being able to watch hockey...... Go Bolts, just not this year's playoffs ....

So, I was wondering if anyone has experimented with "larger" size TV's running off of a battery bank/ inverter / solar charger - and what success you've had.

I'd like to think I could get something bigger than a 20" TV / Monitor - but I imagine it would be pretty unrealistic to think I could fit my existing 50" TV.

Are there "medium" to "large'ish" TVs available that are energy efficient enough for this use?

hashtag:bethetravelingthunder

Old 04-26-2017, 12:03 PM   #2
Bus Geek

Coachwork: 97 Bluebird TC1000 5.9
I use a 32" TV with a wall mount rated for 80 lbs. That size TV is easily adequate and the adjustable wall mount can swivel towards the front or rear of the bus.

Ideally a ceiling mounted projection TV system and a seven foot wide screen would be nice.

Out of curiosity how would you get your TV signal? Mobile satellite TV?
Old 04-26-2017, 12:06 PM   #3
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1995
Engine: T444e
Rated Cap: 65
I've never put a TV in my bus before, but as far as power draw goes most TV manufacturers put specs on their website, so you can use that along with your battery bank size and inverter efficiency to decide what you can fit.

Here's a link of top rated energy efficient TVs: https://enervee.com/televisions/

One thing to be cautious of: I've read that some TV's don't like being run by a Modified Sine Wave (MSW) inverter, so if that's what you've got you may want to check compatibility or get a good return policy.
coolbus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2017, 12:49 PM   #4
Bus Geek

I recently saw a 32" TV with DVD built in that ran off of 12 volt.

TVs are not much of a power consumer anyway. Most TVs take about the same amount of power as a 60 or 80 watt incandescent bulb after they're warmed up. Pretty cheap entertainment, and it can easily run from a battery.
Old 04-26-2017, 01:04 PM   #5
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin97396 View Post
I use a 32" TV with a wall mount rated for 80 lbs. That size TV is easily adequate and the adjustable wall mount can swivel towards the front or rear of the bus.

Ideally a ceiling mounted projection TV system and a seven foot wide screen would be nice.

Out of curiosity how would you get your TV signal? Mobile satellite TV?
That's actually one of the next items on the list to figure out... right now I'm renting a small house, so I'm "on grid" with internet and cable - but once I'm in the skoolie fulltime, I'm not yet sure. I've read about wifi hotspots, but I don't think that'd be enough for streaming something like a hockey game... I really wouldn't have much 'live' use for a TV other than Football/Hockey - the rest of the time it'd be DVD's on occasion.

As far as signal - I'm going to look into satellite or maybe just continuing with wifi cable/internet and just keep switching once I relocate - but that'd be a pain in the butt each time.

The good news is, there's plenty of time to figure it out
Old 04-26-2017, 01:05 PM   #6
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolbus View Post
I've never put a TV in my bus before, but as far as power draw goes most TV manufacturers put specs on their website, so you can use that along with your battery bank size and inverter efficiency to decide what you can fit.

Here's a link of top rated energy efficient TVs: https://enervee.com/televisions/

One thing to be cautious of: I've read that some TV's don't like being run by a Modified Sine Wave (MSW) inverter, so if that's what you've got you may want to check compatibility or get a good return policy.
thanks for the link, it'll come in handy!
Old 04-26-2017, 01:06 PM   #7
Bus Crazy

Year: 1988
Coachwork: Crown / Pusher
Engine: 8.3 Cummins
According to S&S builders you need 2 60in inside the living room, A 30in in the bedroom & a 60 in outside.
Stu & Filo. T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2017, 01:15 PM   #8
Bus Geek

What about the shower?
Old 04-26-2017, 01:16 PM   #9
Bus Crazy

Year: 1997
Chassis: B3800 Short bus
Engine: T444E
Rated Cap: 36
I have a friend who lives off-grid and has a 1000Ah battery bank and 1280w worth of solar panels. He was running a cheapo 50" LCD TV off of his cheapo 2000w modified sine wave inverter without a hitch. That is, until he put a 2x4 through the screen while doing some remodeling.

I checked the inverter display for the output one evening and it was putting out ~300 watts with the TV on plus a couple smaller household items and lights. At that rate he could have the TV on for 24 hours and his battery bank would be at 50% SoC.
Old 04-26-2017, 06:21 PM   #10
Bus Nut

Year: 2000
Coachwork: Thomsass
Chassis: FreightShaker
Engine: 5.9 Cummins 5 speed
Rated Cap: 2 ATV's and friends
How well does a flat screen take to bouncing around in the bus?
Was thinking of one for DVD's and an old Super Nintendo for the passengers while driving.
REDD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2017, 06:25 PM   #11
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by REDD View Post
How well does a flat screen take to bouncing around in the bus?
Was thinking of one for DVD's and an old Super Nintendo for the passengers while driving.
My NES and SNES are the only game systems I care about.
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2017, 06:56 PM   #12
Bus Nut

Year: 2000
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: T444E
Rated Cap: Your mom +1
If you have a good super secure mount I wouldn't worry about it. Before I got my new mount we would take the tv off the wall when we were on the road. Might still do that just because I have terrible luck and even with the most secure mount I still don't trust it...
slaughridge85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2017, 07:03 PM   #13
Bus Crazy

Year: 1989
Coachwork: 1853FC International/Navistar
Chassis: 35' Retired Air Force Ambulance
Engine: DT466, MT643
Rated Cap: 6 souls and a driver
I made my floor to ceiling swivel tv mount from old pieces of trampoline parts, a piece of EMT steel Conduit, a piece of aluminum uni-strut, and a swivel mount I already had.

Cut & beveled the trampoline T-socket for tapered roofline and cut the bottom trampoline T-socket to make receivers for the EMT steel conduit.... Painted it all up, and it's been flawless and I don't have to pull it all down when I travel.
I can rotate the EMT in any direction, then swivel from that.

It's holding my 32" Vizio well

Ask me how I made my hi-def over the air antenna that pulls in 18 channels for $3.00! lol

Edit:
This is how far I can swivel off the pole...

Don't mind the pink panther ****.... It's temporary!
Old 04-26-2017, 07:04 PM   #14
Bus Geek

Mine doesn't show any signs of weakness on the wall mount. Like I say, I did get a wall mount capable of supporting a 80 lb TV for this 35 lb TV. I travel on back roads. Further back than what you're thinking. Logging roads, to get to high mountain lakes. I simply push it back nearly flat on the wall and it rides fine. Initially I put a strap in front of the TV to make sure it didn't swing around, but the strap vibrated and started rubbing the screen while the TV never moved. I don't strap it to the wall anymore. It stays there fine. I did tighten the joints on the wall mount so they have some resistance. It works better than I thought it would. I can shove the TV against the wall when I'm moving things around in the bus, or I can extend it away from the wall a couple feet and turn it toward the front or rear of the bus.

I considered getting the ceiling mount for the TV, because the TV would stow out of the way against the ceiling. I'm pretty sure the TV would bounce while stowed with a ceiling mount.

Ideally I'll get a 12 volt TV with DVD and blueray. My current TV is a 110 v model. I'll need an antenna too, because my satellite cable isn't very long.

You can always sink a little better than a grand into a mobile satellite antenna, or about two grand for one that works while you're driving.

Entertainment is expensive off grid.
Old 04-26-2017, 07:15 PM   #15
Bus Crazy

Quote:
Mine doesn't show any signs of weakness on the wall mount. Like I say, I did get a wall mount capable of supporting a 80 lb TV for this 35 lb TV. I travel on back roads. Further back than what you're thinking. Logging roads, to get to high mountain lakes. I simply push it back nearly flat on the wall and it rides fine. Initially I put a strap in front of the TV to make sure it didn't swing around, but the strap vibrated and started rubbing the screen while the TV never moved. I don't strap it to the wall anymore. It stays there fine. I did tighten the joints on the wall mount so they have some resistance. It works better than I thought it would. I can shove the TV against the wall when I'm moving things around in the bus, or I can extend it away from the wall a couple feet and turn it toward the front or rear of the bus.

I considered getting the ceiling mount for the TV, because the TV would stow out of the way against the ceiling. I'm pretty sure the TV would bounce while stowed with a ceiling mount.

Ideally I'll get a 12 volt TV with DVD and blueray. My current TV is a 110 v model. I'll need an antenna too, because my satellite cable isn't very long.

You can always sink a little better than a grand into a mobile satellite antenna, or about two grand for one that works while you're driving.

Entertainment is expensive off grid.
I'm easily entertained off grid!
12TB of external HDD's jam packed full of movies...

I don't mentally retain movies very well, so every 6 months it's like watching a new movie all over again
Old 04-26-2017, 07:33 PM   #16
Bus Geek

Yeah, they don't seem like the same movies 30 years later anyway. They're all new to me, except a moment here and there.
I'm hoping I spend more time hiking, fishing or anything when I'm away from home. But it does get dark no matter where you go, and it's nice to have some sleepy time entertainment.

Trying to stay warm around a campfire has lost it's thrill.

Any gold panners in this group? Something that's fun is put a few FMJ rounds into a gravel bank and then have the kids pan out the shards. Of course they think they found gold.
Old 04-26-2017, 07:36 PM   #17
Bus Geek

milkmania, that's a pretty nice setup for your TV.

Ok, how did you make your antenna for $3. I don't plan on getting a satellite antenna and I've been looking for an old fashioned antenna that wasn't huge. Sometimes I'll get a TV signal if I'm on top of mountains.
Old 04-26-2017, 07:37 PM   #18
Bus Crazy

Quote:
Yeah, they don't seem like the same movies 30 years later anyway. They're all new to me, except a moment here and there.
I'm hoping I spend more time hiking, fishing or anything when I'm away from home. But it does get dark no matter where you go, and it's nice to have some sleepy time entertainment.

Trying to stay warm around a campfire has lost it's thrill.

Any gold panners in this group? Something that's fun is put a few FMJ rounds into a gravel bank and then have the kids pan out the shards. Of course they think they found gold.

That reminds me....
I need to watch Porky's again!
It's been about 20 years, hasn't it?
Old 04-26-2017, 07:45 PM   #19
Bus Crazy

Quote:
milkmania, that's a pretty nice setup for your TV.

Ok, how did you make your antenna for $3. I don't plan on getting a satellite antenna and I've been looking for an old fashioned antenna that wasn't huge. Sometimes I'll get a TV signal if I'm on top of mountains.

Only part I bought was the $3.00 75ohm converter....

EVERYTHING ELSE was scrap!

My hero
Old 04-26-2017, 07:59 PM   #20
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
I loved MacGyver when I was a kid. The dude was totally a hero!
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote