Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-25-2015, 04:45 PM   #1

what the police said made me laugh...

I'm working on due diligence before making a school bus purchase and paid a visit to my small town, truly friendly PD. Asked about parking regs re: vehicle sizes both on street and in driveway. Explained the school bus dream. The officer's first words,

"Neighbors hate them."

Then she went on to talk about how to keep neighbors happy etc so all is not lost.

We are thinking very short bus for sure. And she's right - my neighbors may well hate it. Then again, they hate my dog already.

threekidsinca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2015, 06:30 PM   #2
Bus Crazy

Year: 2000
Chassis: Blue Bird
Engine: ISC 8.3
That's pretty funny. It's an important consideration, though -- it seems there's always that one neighbor "looking out for the good of the community" and eager to report anything to the code enforcement division.
family wagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2015, 06:37 PM   #3
Bus Crazy

Coachwork: Eldorado Aerotech 24'
Chassis: Ford E-450 Cutaway Bus
Engine: 7.3L Powerstroke
Rated Cap: 19
My next door neighbor had some family members visit in a converted school bus a while back. While helping another neighbor with a home project his wife came in and started carping about the big, ugly visitors bus. They both had seen my bus inside and out and seemed fine with it. I just told them to count their blessings because that big, ugly school bus is what I originally had in mind too.

Another couple in my neighborhood is considering moving away because the people in the house next to them don't keep up their property the way they think they should.

It takes all kinds.
roach711 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2015, 06:47 PM   #4
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by threekidsinca View Post
Then again, they hate my dog already.
Hahahahahaahhahahahahahaha!
Let me share a haiku I wrote for my neighbors the other day.

Tiny yappy dog.
Squealing rowdy little girls.
I hate my neighbors.
CaptainInsaneo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2015, 07:59 PM   #5
Bus Crazy

Big, ugly school bus
haunting the neighbors driveway
Let's move far away
Old 09-25-2015, 09:55 PM   #6
Skoolie

Year: 1978
Coachwork: Wayne
Chassis: Lifeguard
Engine: 366 Chevy
The first month I had my bus, I got a visit from the city Chief of Police. He blocked me in my driveway as I was trying to leave in one of my cars, then turned on his lights. Told me my neighbor called his personal cell phone to complain about the bus. I was cordial and when he was done I asked him if I had broken any laws. After a few minutes of me asking over and over again, he finally admitted, "none that I know of." My response, "Good, I have no intention of breaking any laws. So please move your vehicle and we can be both on our way."

His parting word were about being good neighbors. Well the neighbor should have thought about that when they were being a nuisance and I had to politely invite them OFF MY PROPERTY several times. Last month they invited me to their garden party for the first time in the 20 years they've been here (I've been here 40 yrs) - the daughter then takes me aside and asks if I would move the bus somewhere that their guests cant see it from their back yard. I didn't move it, but I did put my RV cover over it and ate their food like I was at a smorgasbord. Haven't heard a peep since.
gizmoq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2015, 10:50 PM   #7
Bus Nut

AND thats why I want to be a full time nomad don't like the neighbors, fuel up and roll out.

I rent and my land lord doesn't seem to care about the lawn and its maintenance and because I rent neither do I. There were some houses for sale on the street and when ever one is for sale I always get an angry letter in the mail box. Which makes me think, if you don't like what your neighbors are doing then move somewhere where you don't have neighbors. There are so many RVs in my current neighborhood I figure that maybe my build will go under the radar and when it is done, I'm out.
It also seems like the dog nose busses draw more anger.
Old 09-26-2015, 07:00 AM   #8
Bus Crazy

Year: 2003
Coachwork: AmTran
Chassis: International 3000RE
Engine: T444E/AT545
Rated Cap: 75
I rent as well and so far, I've yet to get the "angry, anonymous letter" for the bus, since it's 200' back off the street. I did, however, get one for a pile of old carpet that the previous tenants had left on the curb.

Why the hell can't people mind their own damned business?

Captain Obvious on deviantArt
Scooternj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2015, 07:34 AM   #9
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooternj View Post
Why the hell can't people mind their own damned business?
Because they know better than you and have too much free time or since of entitlement.
Old 09-26-2015, 09:50 AM   #10
Bus Nut

Coachwork: Thomsass
Chassis: FreightShaker
Engine: 5.9 Cummins 5 speed
Rated Cap: 2 ATV's and friends
BUMMER!
I live in a small town and got real lucky with neighbours, I've got 8 houses on my street and have been in 6 of them drinkin' with the neighbours. Today is my wedding anniversary and the last payment on my house [23 years]. Four houses in a row, 8 of us in total got all hammed up last night in and around the bus, it’s been parked on the towns boulevard for the past two weeks while I scotch pad the driver’s side down [I don’t fit between the fence and the bus]. The neighbours beside me asked me on Wed and Thurs if I could turn up my radio ‘cause it was a bit windy and they could hardly here it…. they were on their front porch/step having a couple of bevies watching me sand. The other neighbours keep checkin’ in to see how things are progressing……I think I’m going to buy a lottery ticket……some of you seem to crap luck with your neighbours.
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3809.JPG
Views:	19
Size:	591.7 KB
ID:	8670
Old 09-26-2015, 11:47 AM   #11
Bus Geek

Year: 1935
Coachwork: Superior
Chassis: Chevy
Engine: 317 ci/tid / Isuzu
The city said I couldn't park my bus on the property unless it was in a garage. I told 'em it was too tall to fit. They said too bad----so I took the redneck way out.

I jack hammered the floor out of my garage and---

{b] shoveled out 8" of dirt and---[/b]

parked the bus in the garage just like they told me to do!
ol trunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2015, 12:50 PM   #12

Year: 1995
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: 3800
Engine: DT408, AT545
Rated Cap: 23 500 gvw
Quote:
Originally Posted by ol trunt View Post
The city said I couldn't park my bus on the property unless it was in a garage. I told 'em it was too tall to fit. They said too bad----so I took the redneck way out.

I jack hammered the floor out of my garage and---

{b] shoveled out 8" of dirt and---[/b]

parked the bus in the garage just like they told me to do!

I love it.

You Gotta Let Me Fly
crazycal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2015, 01:34 PM   #13
Mini-Skoolie

I used to live in waterfront neighborhood that looked like more a junk yard because so many houses had junk in their yards and driveways. For 4 days I had a friend's $250k motor home in my driveway and someone called on it claiming it was a broken down old bus. Now I live in place with a 200' driveway and I doubt anyone would ever call on me here. My bus will be back off the street far enough it won't bother anyone. But then we picked this place out just to be able to build our bus. As long as I keep the noise down I'm thinking I'll be fine.
KnJadventures is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2015, 05:53 PM   #14
Bus Crazy

Bought a big old bus
neighbors called the city twice
my bus is still here

The key is to have your ducks in a row before bringing baby home. I checked with the city zoning dept. and my HOA. Had to extend my driveway to make it legal
Old 09-26-2015, 09:51 PM   #15
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1978
Coachwork: Superior
Chassis: International
Engine: International 392 V-8 gas
Rated Cap: 72 passengers
I had a neighbor call the laws on me once. thy told us we needed to put up a fence.the rules didnt prohibit a 10 foot tall stockade fence. good fences...
chardog1971 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2015, 10:29 PM   #16
Bus Crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by ol trunt View Post
If you can't raise the roof, lower the floor!
Old 09-26-2015, 11:34 PM   #17
Bus Nut

Year: 1992
Coachwork: Bluebird Mini-Bird 24'
Chassis: Chevy P30
Engine: Chevy 6.2L Diesel
My Mini-Bird is the first home that I've been able to call my own for a couple of years now; I parked it on the street outside a friend's place in an uppity-yuppie suburb in a MAJOR US city while I was waiting for a replacement alternator, and then for the heat to drop under one-hundred-and-hell to put it in.

During that time, I received weekly visits from the local constable, where they rather politely reminded me that I was NOT breaking any laws, but I was annoying the HOA (read: neighbor) who was in turn annoying the constable to do something, so they came to talk to me. So they could report back that they did something about it.

I just told them the truth, that I disliked the area, and wanted to be out of their hair and the heat as quickly as possible, but that I was staying with a friend while I was waiting for my parts to get in. When the lady from the HOA came to talk to me two days after the first visit from the cops, I told her that I wasn't doing anything wrong or inappropriate, and if my presence bothered them that much, they could always pitch in some money for a broke-down ol' veteran or help me find a better way/place to get the parts I needed.

Never did hear from her again.
Albatross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2015, 09:26 PM   #18
Bus Geek

Year: 1946
Coachwork: Chevrolet/Wayne
Chassis: 1- 1/2 ton
Engine: Cummins 4BT
Rated Cap: 15
Those are the kind of people who put the "gentry" in gentrification...aka; small minded a__holes
Tango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2015, 11:49 PM   #19
Bus Nut

Year: 1992
Coachwork: Bluebird Mini-Bird 24'
Chassis: Chevy P30
Engine: Chevy 6.2L Diesel
Yes, it is. Where I am at right now is particularly full of Big Oil Engineers and the like, actual medical Professionals--not your equipment technicians, but the actual RN's and doctors, and IT supervisors. I've met a teacher here, but she is divorced with two kids, so I am sure that her ex-husband is footing her bill, the poor sap.

What I think is the worst part, though, is that almost all of the people I've met out here have no appreciation for community--at least where they live--you never see anyone outside other than jogging by themselves, or occasionally an elderly couple or a pair of snobby, kept-women. No one seems to communicate or do anything with any of their neighbors.
Albatross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2015, 09:37 PM   #20
Almost There

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International
Engine: DT360
About a week before we brought our bus home, the neighbors across the street had their son, daughter-in-law and child move in. He took interest and even offered to help me out if he sees me working out there. He had seen the bus conversions on the web and was tempted to do the same. They brought a run-down camper and three cars with them. That makes for seven in the driveway and yard. None are rusting out and seems to get used and moved around.

I think if people are willing to put up with the F-16s going by every day, they kind of widen their horizons on what they will tolerate. I have felt I am pushing it since I tarped the whole thing after the windows came out. At least they are not big ugly blue tarps.

I will be selling my house next summer, or renting it out. I think of the bus as my escape from suburbia and the south. All the hard work will pay off. Just about any ridicule I could get from the neighbors would not keep it from being 100% worth it.

Tags
neighbors