Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-12-2009, 07:05 PM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

What to check before moving a bus?

I have a few leads on a buses. But what should be checked before attempting in moving a bus? I assume the normal engine things like oil, water, filters and fuel. Check brakes and lights. So what else should one check before moving a bus? Also for a drive home less than 20 miles, should I get a driver with a CDL, if I can find one, or drive it myself? I feel I can, I have driven other large trucks on short routes between yards .

kenfoozed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2009, 08:36 PM   #2
Bus Nut

Re: What to check before moving a bus?

The above post sounds about right. Once you start it up, if the bus has air brakes, and the air is low, the low air alarm will sound for a while as it builds up pressure. Once it reaches operating pressure the alarm should silence, but it'll continue to build up more air. You should run an air check, start pumping the brakes, with each pump you'll expend some air... keep doing this until the pressure drops way down and the alarm comes back on, then let it build up pressure again. After it's fully pressureized, then shut the whole thing down and do like suggested above, go around and listen for air leaks.

Oh, and don't pump those brakes or step on the brake pedal with the air parking brakes engaged, release them first!!

If everything there checks out, you can start it again and let it run for a while, listen for the air pressure release valve to siphon off a burst or two of air, it should be a very short burst of air, anything longer and you may have purge valve problems. It'll keep purging air as you go along, as the compressor always runs and it can only hold so much air without exploding the tanks...so it'll bleed off air every few minutes.

Checking fluids is good, make sure you have brake lights!! With only 20 miles you should be just fine!!

You just might be a Redneck if...
...your motor home used to be a school bus!
...Your living room has a steering wheel!
...Your home has brake lights

1994 Jeep Grand Cherokee
1989 Thomas Diesel Pusher (Cat 3208/Freightliner)
Chesapeake, Virginia
GoneCamping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2009, 08:40 PM   #3
Bus Nut

I'll add in this. If the air pressure is low, the rear brakes will likely be locked. This is a safety feature of air brakes, loss of air pressure applies the 'spring brake' (or parking brake) as the air actually holds the spring brake open.

You just might be a Redneck if...
...your motor home used to be a school bus!
...Your living room has a steering wheel!
...Your home has brake lights

1994 Jeep Grand Cherokee
1989 Thomas Diesel Pusher (Cat 3208/Freightliner)
Chesapeake, Virginia
GoneCamping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2009, 10:56 PM   #4
Skoolie

Year: 85
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: Ford
Engine: Gas
Rated Cap: 66

i think everyone covered it all...just dont forget your sombrero and braveheart sword.
Old 10-12-2009, 11:57 PM   #5
Bus Geek

Send a message via MSN to the_experience03 Send a message via Yahoo to the_experience03

The EASIEST thing you could do would be to go down to the DMV and pick up a copy of the CDL regulations which will have a pretrip inspection in them. One better would be to get the checklist they use for the tests.