Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-08-2015, 09:15 AM   #1

What to do about storing dishes?? The bus bounces like crazy

I'm living in a 54 seater 1997 International. So far, I haven't done much but take out seats and put my junk inside. Right now I have a dilemma of how to install stuff so that things won't break when I hit the road. This bus bounces like crazy every time I hit the tiniest bump in the road. What do you guys do with your dishes? Have there been any ingenious ways of storing them so they stay safe when traveling?

Thanks,
John

kadoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2015, 09:39 AM   #2
Bus Crazy

Year: 2003
Coachwork: AmTran
Chassis: International 3000RE
Engine: T444E/AT545
Rated Cap: 75
Ditch what you have and go with marine dishware? (/snark)

Foam would probably work, similar to the "pick and pluck" that Pelican uses for their cases
Scooternj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2015, 09:50 AM   #3
Bus Geek

we use paper ;)

I have seen where pegs are installed in drawers and then dishes are stacked with hand towels or doiwleys (s/p) between them

HERE https://www.google.com/search?q=pegs...YQ_AUoAQ&dpr=1
bansil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2015, 09:53 AM   #4
Bus Crazy

Year: 2003
Coachwork: AmTran
Chassis: International 3000RE
Engine: T444E/AT545
Rated Cap: 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by bansil View Post
we use paper ;)
Which has the advantage of going right into the firepit after dinner.
Scooternj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2015, 10:02 AM   #5
Bus Nut

2K4S rides likes a cloud....Seriously it rides very nice. Over on the RV Forums there's lots of ideas.
dond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2015, 01:03 PM   #6

Quote:
we use paper ;)

I have seen where pegs are installed in drawers and then dishes are stacked with hand towels or doiwleys (s/p) between them

HERE https://www.google.com/search?q=pegs...YQ_AUoAQ&dpr=1
Dude, I like that idea.
Old 05-08-2015, 01:04 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooternj View Post
Ditch what you have and go with marine dishware? (/snark)

Foam would probably work, similar to the "pick and pluck" that Pelican uses for their cases
I will definitely keep those in mind for the future. I don't have a ton of money to throw away right now. I guess I could just replace any broken dish with one of those
Old 05-08-2015, 07:00 PM   #8
Bus Geek

Year: 1992
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: TC2000 FE
Engine: 190hp 5.9 Cummins
Rated Cap: 72
Convert the rear of your bus to air ride?

If it bounces that bad, it will tear your conversion apart.

Nat

Patently waiting for the apocalypses to level the playing field in this physiological game of life commonly known as Civilization
nat_ster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2015, 07:57 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by nat_ster View Post
Convert the rear of your bus to air ride?

If it bounces that bad, it will tear your conversion apart.

Nat
That's a cool idea but way out of my price range. Unless someone wants to donate a new suspension, it's gonna stay the same.

It's got the leaf spring suspension, by the way**
Old 05-08-2015, 08:06 PM   #10
Bus Nut

Coachwork: bluebird
I just bought new dishes and just kept the packing cardboard that was between them (to make them yourself would seem kind of tedious they are sized according to the dish and have slits & all in them to allow them to mold to the plates).

However, I plan to get a roll of shelving paper?, the kind of rubbery holey stuff and cut it up to go between dishes, bowls and pots & pans.
Anything that can rattle will get this sandwiched between it. I think using that stuff will not only protect the dishes but should help cut down on the noise of them jiggling while moving.
The-Breeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2015, 08:06 PM   #11
Bus Geek

The more weight you put over axle, water, waste etc will help with that
Old 05-08-2015, 08:39 PM   #12
Mini-Skoolie

Coachwork: Looking for something
Chassis: Big Enough to fit my dog
Melamine Dishes

There is also shopping for melamine dishes. There are a lot of options out there that look more like traditional dishes than the the bright colors people normally think of. They are indestructable. Tie them together and drag them behind the bus no problem. I am secretely beefing up the camping supplies with nicer stuff that can go into an eventual skoolie RV.
facebook.com/mikehathaway
mjh2901 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2015, 09:12 PM   #13
Bus Nut

We use this stuff:
Non-Adhesive Shelf Liner

Although we use some no-name brand that costs half as much... Anyway, this stuff is great. It's slightly grippy, enough to keep things from sliding around, while still being removable, easy to wash, etc. It has a bit of cushion to keep things from breaking, too. We use it both as shelf-liner and dish-separators.

IMO, a stack of plates can take a heck of a beating, even the cheap Walmart ones we use. It's wine glasses and such that are really delicate. You don't necessarily need to pad every little thing. Honestly, a warning clink from the bowls in the cupboard can let you know you're driving her a little hard anyway..
taskswap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2015, 09:57 PM   #14
Bus Nut

If it has shocks on the rear perhaps they need replacing. Tire pressure too high for an empty rig.
dond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2015, 09:11 AM   #15
Bus Geek

Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: TC2000 FE
Engine: 190hp 5.9 Cummins
I agree with checking your shocks. They may be due for replacement.

I find most buses with leaf spring have far too much spring. They bounce so bad they tear the bus apart.

After your conversion, you would also be miles ahead to remove a few leafs out of the spring pack. This will soften your ride.

It may take a few try's to get the number you need right.

Nat

Patently waiting for the apocalypses to level the playing field in this physiological game of life commonly known as Civilization
nat_ster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2015, 10:43 PM   #16
Bus Nut

Coachwork: bluebird
http://www.amazon.com/Duck-1100731-N...nd+shelf+liner

Taskswap -----> Yeah...that's the rubbery holey stuff I am talking about. Big Lots sells it dirt cheap and I plan to use it most anywhere I can in my kitchen
The-Breeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2015, 12:46 PM   #17
Skoolie

Protecting plates and glassware and prevent dish rattles.

For plates that are stacked- run a bead of clear silicone caulk around the base of the plates where they touch the table surface (and the underside of the rim if it still rocks against the next plate). Not only does this prevent the rattling, it is also a non-skid surface when placed on non-level surfaces or trying to eat while traveling. This can be done to glass tumblers too if you can get an even bead. It won't last forever, but it is washable, it works, it's inexpensive and it's a quick fix.

For glassware- cushy tube socks are the bomb. Buy a couple bulk packages when they go on sale- and don't wear them! Lol Cut them into lengths that will cover/ protect your glasswares/food jars and any other cylindrical things that rattle. If you collect enough to keep all your clean glassware covered 24/7- BONUS- you also protect your glasses from dust and/or cooking films between uses.

This works fantastic with hanging wine-glass racks with stemmed glasses. Use the toe section of the sock so the rims always stay protected. You can jam anything in the track of the rack to keep the glasses from sliding, or rig a retaining clip to secure the tracks. I lived-aboard a boat for a couple years, and have been in 8-12 foot seas and never lost a stemmed glass. It only takes minutes to prep before a trip too.

***hey Bansil- this made me immediately think of you...are you listening????

The cardboard dividers from beer and liquor boxes are also useful in drawers, the fridge and other various places to prevent rattling and breakage.

Cheap white terry cloth shop-towels /bar-towels are great for pans and other metal stuff, (I buy the bargain big bag) Bonus on this- you always have extra clean towels too.

You don't need to build/buy fancy gadgets, can prep your whole bus for under $20.
SassyLass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2015, 05:17 PM   #18
Bus Geek

sassy we already use socks for everything glass, works great for canned goods, and wine glasses stay in their box or we use plastic...if it needs to be ninja like

and I am looking for a 15/16 ft 50's or 60's glass boat for a project after watching flipping ships....

I love boats...wifey not so much yet!!
Old 05-16-2015, 07:25 PM   #19
Skoolie

Quote:
I am looking for a 15/16 ft 50's or 60's glass boat for a project after watching flipping ships....

I love boats...wifey not so much yet!!
I've never seen flipping ships(haven't had TV for more than 2 years), but I can totally relate to a boat project. (Spiral staircase included?)

I've been up and down the east coast, and always on the ocean or Intercoastal. As much as I love boating I don't know if I'd ever be happy on a lake. I loved the endless sea, and really dislike living so far away from it.
(Oops. Crap. Sorry for the hijack)
Old 05-16-2015, 07:30 PM   #20
Bus Geek

Haha...hijack? This is skoolie.dot we have no bounds

First trip was on an old landing rig back in 78 and we went from presidio to ?, I remember the spray over the bow, and the front flipping down to the beach....

Then it was 12 yes old on a sunfish, then a couple trihulls, a pontoon here and there, I would love a small weighted keel 23 footer......I will be happy with a smaller boat with maybe a 25 on the ole girl....cruising and relaxing.

If I want a thrill, I will head to obx, and enjoy two 175's on a Carolina skiff, breaking into open water.....

Oh by the way; I now hate you.... its dusty in here...

Tags
bounce, dishes, kitchen, pantry, shocks