Old 03-20-2015, 01:54 PM   #1

What to do with a rusty rear end?

I'm about ready to buy this 84 seater Thomas Bus with a Cummins engine and high ceilings but the back door and the panels on either side are pretty rusty. I'm getting an excellent deal ($2500) but I'm worried about that rust.

I know I could scrap it and make most of my money back but I'm really looking for a home that I can fix up and possibly sell down the road.

Has anybody just replaced their rear wall entirely? I was thinking of cutting the whole hing out and adding wood door and wall and maybe making a little porch. Other than that, I guess I could try replacing all the panels myself. What do you guys think?

This is my first post by the way. Hi!
kadoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2015, 04:06 PM   #2
Bus Geek

Year: 1992
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: TC2000 FE
Engine: 190hp 5.9 Cummins
Rated Cap: 72
Welcome

Yes I and a few others have.

Both of my skoolie threads contain usefull info on the full tear down and rebuild of a skoolie body.

My first bus thread.
Nat_ster's Haul All - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

My latest and current build.
http://www.skoolie.net/forums/f11/th...ime-10138.html

Feel free to ask questions about more detail than the pics show.

Nat

Patently waiting for the apocalypses to level the playing field in this physiological game of life commonly known as Civilization
nat_ster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2015, 08:04 PM   #3

Dude, the rust on The Four Season Prime.... That's kinda what I'm afraid up. Under the bus seems ok, but I can't see what's behind the panels. That POR 15 stuff seems pretty amazing, though.

Also, I kinda like the idea of removing the whole back end. You could build something really cool on those beams.
kadoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2015, 08:14 PM   #4
Bus Geek

Year: 1992
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: TC2000 FE
Engine: 190hp 5.9 Cummins
Rated Cap: 72
I know, that's why I documented how bad it was. So others could see what lurks behind the panels of the average bus.

When I got the bus you could hardly see rust. Then I opened it up.

Nat

Patently waiting for the apocalypses to level the playing field in this physiological game of life commonly known as Civilization
nat_ster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2015, 08:26 PM   #5
Bus Nut

Year: 1988
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: I.H.
Engine: DT360
Some of it has to do with yours skill level and what material you want to use, metal or wood. Another factor is your location and if you plan to do much traveling with it. You could remove the rear area and create a porch that looks like the back of a horse drawn gypsy wagon. That might look cool and be functional but we don't know you skill level. It might not hold up well to travel either depending on how it is constructed.
We need more info to go by.
HolyBus is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
conversion, door, porch, rear door, rust