Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-07-2016, 02:08 PM   #21
Bus Geek

Year: 1935
Coachwork: Superior
Chassis: Chevy
Engine: 317 ci/tid / Isuzu
My bus cost about $10,800 including the '35 bus, '35 Chevy cab and chassis and the '05 Isuzu turbo diesel drive line.

The interior cost about $4620 with stove, microwave, frig, inverter, batteries, bath, water system, new windows, pop up and slide out.

The mechanicals including 6 tires, paint, chrome, brakes and much new body sheet metal ran another $2310.

My best guess on the total cost of the bus is about $21,830

The build took 3 years, one on days off and two more or less full time.

Now I go a lot!

Jack

ol trunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2016, 08:11 PM   #22
Skoolie

Well, I am not finished yet, still in the beginning stages, but I figure my budget to be in the $5K range. I have a 1996 Travel trailer that is rotting, but all the parts are perfect. I was given the trailer, so no money there, and I bought the bus for $1500. I am not going crazy with insulation, I live in a mild climate and I can do all the work myself. The bus was a solid well cared for church bus in great shape.
Having a travel trailer as a donor is saving me a bundle. You might look for cheap trailers/RVs that people are getting rid of due to the dry rot that they all get in time.
It is the small stuff that really ads up quick and eats away at your budget. An old RV will have a lot of that stuff and save you money.
BTW, I also bought a second bus for $810. Its my daughters and we will be doing it also.
We may be a bit crazy.
Oldmopars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2016, 09:43 PM   #23
Bus Geek

Year: 1946
Coachwork: Chevrolet/Wayne
Chassis: 1- 1/2 ton
Engine: Cummins 4BT
Rated Cap: 15
Budget!? We don't need no stinkin' budget!
Tango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2016, 09:56 PM   #24
Bus Geek

Year: 1935
Coachwork: Superior
Chassis: Chevy
Engine: 317 ci/tid / Isuzu
Right you are Tango. I didn't have a budget and look where it got me! Ha, Ha!

I'll bet ya 500 match sticks that you come in with a final figure real close to mine--if not more considering your upity high class tastes and all. Just kidding. Our buses are so similar that I suspect their costs to build will also be similar. Jack
ol trunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2016, 08:08 AM   #25
Bus Geek

Year: 1946
Coachwork: Chevrolet/Wayne
Chassis: 1- 1/2 ton
Engine: Cummins 4BT
Rated Cap: 15
Ya got that right Jack. If I kept up with the numbers it would likely scare the Bejeezus outa' me. Heck, I just spent another two-grand just relocating the bus and shop once you figure in the shelving, workbench, lighting and other stuff I had to construct just to work there.

The real shame is, I already have a 15,000 sf warehouse with a shop in it. But it's all dock high with no place for a ramp.

I can only hope mine turns out at least half as sweet as yours.
Tango is offline   Reply With Quote