Old 02-09-2006, 10:02 PM   #11
Mini-Skoolie

i've been sitting here reading all the coments on this discusion and to be honest with you, when i bought my skoolie, my wife and i have had more fun converting this then anything we've ever done and there will never be a day when we lower are heads in shame for what it is. as a matter of fact we raise our heads even higher. as far as camp grounds and what they think of our bus. who cares, were living for today, not living to impress anyone. and were going to paint it this year to express our intretrests and our life. not to get into a KOA. lets see spend 180,000 dollars on a motor home or keep my skoolie. I,LL KEEP MY SKOOLIE. to be honest with you i think the skoolie owners are the real adventures of the camping world, and we know how to have fun. i live here in north louisana and we brought our skoolie last year to mardi gra and you know we had more people wanting to see our bus than people wanting to see the big motor homes. WHY? well to be honest you,ve seen 1 motor home you,ve seen them all. but walk up to a skoolie you,ll meet great people with great ideas. and no one skoolie is alike. thats what makes skoolie people the best.
heath692 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2006, 11:53 PM   #12
Mini-Skoolie

heath,
I couldn't agree with you more! Also, I bought my first skoolie (see avatar at left) in Bossier City, La. Glad to see there are still some good bus people down there. I could not find you on the Skoolie Map (see tool bar above). It is a really cool feature not too many people are using. See you later I hope.
1993 Amtran (Ward) 77 Passenger body on an International frame. DT360, Allison 545 AT. The avatar is my first skoolie, "The Rocket" may it Rust In Peace. Follow the links at the bottom to see the horrible details at http://www.gentlekharma.com
Be Amazing
Zen Ken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2006, 12:21 PM   #13
Mini-Skoolie

There's nothing wrong with a skoolie. In fact that's how the Wanderlodge line got started. Blue Bird bus pulled skoolies off of the assembly line, and sent them to their coachbuilder to be fitted as an R.V. Nothing outside of a Prevost chassis from Marathon can hold a candle to them in the solidity of construction.

That said, skoolies don't bring in much money, as they are simply not up to the specifications and requirements of most R.V. buyers. Slides are the in thing, and don't even THINK of putting that noisy engine up front. The market shys away from them big time. THIS is why you'll never recoup the expense.

I highly doubt that you'll have issues getting into all but the poshest of high and mighty R.V. parks. Even with those, most of those slots will be owned by the patrons.

When I originally bought my Thomas pusher, I had very real concerns with people complaining about it's presence. I've found just the opposite to be true. Even with the "ugly ol bus" sitting in the driveway, my neighbours have been very receptive of the concept. Many are awestruck of the sheer concept of what is basically building a big ol fancy R.V. basically from scratch.

From what I've heard, much of this transcends to the various campgrounds and R.V. parks. People are genuinely interested to see somebodies indiviual creations, knowing that there isn't another one like it anywhere else in the world. You'd really have to build a rolling turd to truly turn people off of your project.

I really hate the idea that I'm selling my Thomas. However, my timeline for needing a liveable R.V. has become way shorter than the time I have to make it right.

I ended up making an offer on a "stick and staple" machine yesterday. It'll lack the individuality of my Thomas, but it'll be ready to go pretty much immediately.
2006 Chevy Aveo LS
Wolfman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2006, 12:39 PM   #14
Bus Crazy

Send a message via AIM to Steve
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfman
Slides are the in thing, and don't even THINK of putting that noisy engine up front.
I think they only thing I absolutely HATE about my skoolie is that noisy engine, I can hardly hear anyone else while driving on the interstate.
Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2006, 06:25 PM   #15
Mini-Skoolie

Steve,
I have a diesel in front too. SAY WHAT?!! How about we all get headsets, just like the airplane and helicopter pilots do, so we can talk to our passengers in our skoolies on the Interstate? How much do those things cost anyway?
1993 Amtran (Ward) 77 Passenger body on an International frame. DT360, Allison 545 AT. The avatar is my first skoolie, "The Rocket" may it Rust In Peace. Follow the links at the bottom to see the horrible details at http://www.gentlekharma.com
Be Amazing
Zen Ken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2006, 07:26 PM   #16
Bus Geek

My bus isn't horribly loud, even at high speed. It is a front engine conventional and today i was driving down the interstate talking on my cell phone.
Old 02-12-2006, 10:22 AM   #17
Bus Crazy

Year: 1993
Coachwork: Ward Genesis
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466/MT643
Rated Cap: 77
I have a long-nose Ford with a gas 460...there are many ways to quiet it down. Rather than hijack this, I'll post a new thread with some tips.
Jarlaxle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2006, 07:17 PM   #18
Bus Nut

On the discussion of campgrounds......I checked with a campground in Hilton Head to see if they accepted skoolies, they said the only requirements are that it has it's own holding tanks and a flush toilet, no porta-potties. Has anyone ran into this anywhere?
bdavis441 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2006, 08:37 AM   #19
Bus Nut

Year: 1985
Coachwork: ThomasBuilt
Chassis: International Harvester S-1700
Engine: 9L IHC V-8 Diesel 180HP
Rated Cap: 60
Brad, what campground was that? I used to live in a 22 foot pop-top sailboat there in HHI, in Shelter Cove Marina. Are you in SC?
Eric von Kleist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2006, 04:39 PM   #20
Bus Nut

No, I'm in Indiana. The wife was just checking out some places to go. The campground was Hilton Head Harbor. 22ft isn't a very big boat to live in!!!
bdavis441 is offline   Reply With Quote