Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-22-2006, 07:18 AM   #21
Bus Nut

Year: 1985
Coachwork: ThomasBuilt
Chassis: International Harvester S-1700
Engine: 9L IHC V-8 Diesel 180HP
Rated Cap: 60
LOL. It's like living in the back of a pickup truck with a cap on it.

Hilton Head Harbor rings a bell, but I can't recall where it is. Check out Hunting Island State Park. It's not too far from HHI, and it is an EXCELLENT facility. Just about all of the coastal parks in SC are great. ALso near to Charleston is Ghivans Ferry State Park and Colleton County State Park. I like Colleton County better than Ghivans Ferry, personally, but they are both good parks.

Eric von Kleist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2006, 01:46 PM   #22
Bus Nut

Year: 1981
Coachwork: Crown
Chassis: Crown
Engine: 671 DD
Send a message via MSN to Roasting8 Send a message via Yahoo to Roasting8
How are the coastal parks in North Carolinia?
Roasting8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2006, 04:56 PM   #23
Bus Nut

'Fraid I can't provide any information about them. I haven't been to any. I know my parents went camping at the Outer Banks once, and they loved it, but I don't know where they camped.

There are good parks here in the upstate that are close to Asheville (within an hour's drive) if you have a hankering to see that burg.
Old 02-22-2006, 08:24 PM   #24
Bus Nut

Thanks Eric.

The reason why I'm asking is because I might have to go to Durham, on business, some time this year.

I was thinking of driving my conversion to Durham and go to the beach on the weekends.

Thanks again,

Robert
Old 02-22-2006, 08:53 PM   #25
Bus Nut

Year: 1982
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: IH S1723
Engine: IH V345 Gas V8
Rated Cap: 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roasting8
The reason why I'm asking is because I might have to go to Durham, on business, some time this year. I was thinking of driving my conversion to Durham and go to the beach on the weekends.
Robert,

Give me a heads-up when yer in Durham! I'm in Greenville, about an hour toward the coast from Durham, and about 1-1/2 hours from the Crystal Coast (Morehead City, Emerald Isle, etc.).

I'm a mountain man but have been living near the coast (Havelock / Cherry Point) for more than half my life and have not gone to the beach but a few times to remind myself why I'm a mountain man. I can, at least, get you information on any of the areas or sites you want to see. I prefer the historical stuff myself so my coastal visits have been primarily to see historical sites, i.e. Kitty Hawk, Fort Macon, Maritime Museum, etc.

PM me when you have an idea of your time frame and I'll give you any help I can (just try not to laugh too hard at my bus ).

Griff

P.S. This offer stands for any of you guys & gals that find yourselves straying, lost or stranded toward my neck of the sandy woods! (I can't imagine anyone WANTING to come here! )
Old 02-24-2006, 02:29 AM   #26
Bus Nut

Hi Griff,

Thanks for the invite. I'm not sure of when I'm going (I need to be scheduled for a training class) but you'll be one of the first to know.

Griff, I can't see nothing funny about your bus; it seems to serve you quite well. The bus looks roomy, functional, and I'm sure you're quite proud of it . I actually would like to see it.

Maybe when I'm over there, we can talk Skoolie over beers (my treat ).

BTW, It's sometimes nice to go to the coast, you never know what you'll see there

Thanks again for the offer and I'll PM you as soon as I get a date for training.

Robert
Old 02-24-2006, 05:03 AM   #27
Bus Nut

Quote:
Thanks for the invite. I'm not sure of when I'm going (I need to be scheduled for a training class) but you'll be one of the first to know.
You're welcome! I'll be right here waiting!

Quote:
Griff, I can't see nothing funny about your bus; it seems to serve you quite well. The bus looks roomy, functional, and I'm sure you're quite proud of it . I actually would like to see it.
Hey, I was only joking about that (laughing at it), I DO love it and don't really care who doesn't 'cuz IT AIN'T THEIRS! (I had just finished looking at some other people's conversions and had a slight case of "bus envy" at the time. )

Quote:
Maybe when I'm over there, we can talk Skoolie over beers (my treat ).
Thanks for the generous offer, but like Lapeer20m I don't do alcohol. I WILL be happy to suck down BUCKETS of coffee with you while you harness some of those clydesdales, though!

Quote:
BTW, It's sometimes nice to go to the coast, you never know what you'll see there
Actually, I see the same thing every time I go to the beach. . . NOTHING - because the salt spray off the ocean coats my glasses lenses to where I can't see. (I gotta be careful with my glasses, ever since Coca-cola stopped making 32oz. bottles, I haven't been able to get replacement lenses )

Quote:
Thanks again for the offer and I'll PM you as soon as I get a date for training.
Again, you're welcome! I'm looking forward to it, and The White Elephant is too! (She presently leads a pretty sheltered life & doesn't get to meet other busses much. )
Old 02-24-2006, 09:54 AM   #28
Bus Nut

Hi Griff,

It looks like I better quit offering beers on this site

I will bring over something to BBQ. I don't know what it might be, depending on what I find on the road

Seriously, I'm not sure of when they are going to send me but I will drop you a line. I'll also treat on a meal and not a place with road-kill on the menu

BTW, how is the road to your place?

Robert

BTW You'll feel good about your bus after you see mine
Old 02-24-2006, 05:59 PM   #29
Bus Nut

Quote:
It looks like I better quit offering beers on this site
Not to worry! There's plenty who drink beer, hey, I USED to drink PLENTY of it, but I'll save that story for another time.
Quote:
I will bring over something to BBQ. I don't know what it might be, depending on what I find on the road
Seriously, I'm not sure of when they are going to send me but I will drop you a line. I'll also treat on a meal and not a place with road-kill on the menu
WHAT, AND MISS OUT ON THE POSSUM PANCAKES?!? (I'm a cheap date!) And the offer stands year 'round, so whenever it is will be no problem!
Quote:
BTW, how is the road to your place?
Mostly well-paved 4-lane 'til ya get here (Greenville), then well-paved 2-lane, and once yer near by, I'll come meet you & you can follow my car in to where my bus is.
Quote:
BTW You'll feel good about your bus after you see mine
Man, they're ALL GOOD! There's just something about ANY bus that just transcends cosmetics!
Old 02-25-2006, 02:16 AM   #30
Bus Nut

Griff,

I've never had possum pancakes but, I've had bull dog stew (lots of squirrel and veggies). Spent some years in Mississippi and ate all kinds of things. Didn't know what I ate but, I found that it tasted good.
Old 02-27-2006, 07:19 AM   #31
Bus Nut

Brings a whole new meaning to "don't ask, don't tell'...