Old 10-09-2007, 09:25 PM   #11
Bus Geek

Send a message via MSN to the_experience03 Send a message via Yahoo to the_experience03
Re: What's the best engine trans combo?

Don't worry, I was surprised at the size of the dipstick tube the first time I saw it. Even more surprising is the length of that thing (along with the one for the tranny). It expands inside the tube so you will have to turn that handle a couple of times to be able to pull the dipstick out.

You're right, diesel don't like air, but that's in the fuel system. Rest assured that you can pull that dipstick out without fear. Obviously for the most accurate measurement you're going to want to do it when the engine is warm, but not running.

My bus holds 20 quarts. Yep, that's 5 gallons of oil per change. You should try and find some documentation with yours to see what it takes. Otherwise I would just drain it and start adding oil, check with the dipstick, add oil, check with the dipstick, etc until you get to the full mark. It should also be noted that this thing isn't like your car. One quart is just a drop in the bucket.

I wrote a reply explaining how I figured my fuel mileage, but it seems to have been swallowed by the intarwebz so I will just tell you that my 6.6 gets 8 mpg and that's what I hear from all kinds of people with the same engine, regardless of configuration.
Old 10-09-2007, 11:10 PM   #12
Bus Geek

Send a message via MSN to the_experience03 Send a message via Yahoo to the_experience03

[drift]

This one is mine. It's a 1993 that I did a solid axle swap to a 1984 Toyota 8 inch front that was trussed and rebuilt. The front end uses 1993 FJ-40 rotors with the big 4 piston calipers off a 1994 V-6 powered Toyota 4wd and 1.5 inch billet All Pro Offroad wheel spacers on each side. The front is sprung on hybrid leaf springs made from the factory rear 51 inch leafs that have had 3 leafs added after removing the overload leaf. They are hung from a reworked Sky's Offroad hanger kit using widebody boomerang shackles. The shocks are Pro Comp ES9000's designed for an 8 inch lifted Chevy connected to F-250 shock towers while the steering is full crossover high steer using Stage 5 Sky arms and FJ-80 tie rod ends.

The rear is the stock wide track 8 inch with the LSPV wired wide open for better braking. The rear springs are 3 leaf 63 inch units off a 1988 2wd Chevy half ton using Sky Offroad hangers and 6 inch eye to eye unbraced shackles. I have 3 inch blocks to level it out with the front and u-bolt flips front and rear for clearance.

My current project is building a 305 for propane to replace the stock 22re/W56(D), and RF1A t-case. I already have a TH350 w/ a TransGo shift kit which is mated to an NP205 t-case that is awaiting the installation of a twin stick kit. Once I get all that junk in there I will worry about regearing to suit the new power and I will install a front locker when I get Longfield Super Axles for the front. The rear is open or welded (I switch back and forth) for now, but I will likely either adapt a Supra limited slip to it or get an automatic locker.

So far I'm happy with it. As you can see in the pictures of it on the lift it has INCREDIBLE yet USEFUL suspension travel. Obviously those last two pictures are on a lift with the suspension drooped WAY out and not at ride height. Ah projects....

[/drift]
Old 10-10-2007, 08:02 AM   #13
Bus Geek

There is a reason why I can rattle off every part on the thing and it makes surprisingly good sense once you think about it. So let's just say I need a left tie rod end. If I walk into the parts store and tell them I need a left threaded tie rod end for a 1993 Toyota they're going to give me one. Then I'm going to go home and realize that while the taper is the correct size the threaded shank is way too small to fit in my drag link. Now if I just walk in there and tell them I need a left threaded tie rod end for a 1996 FJ80 Landcruiser all will be well and it will all fit perfectly. I actually know a few people that have had to go to Valvoline to get their oil changed when they were up here (I don't change my own on trips either) and had to tell the guys to pretend their 1988 Toyota pickup is actually a 1988 Toyota Supra because they had swapped in the 7MGE 3.0 liter I-6 from one into the truck. Yep, it messes with people, but atleast you know you're getting the right parts.

Nothing on my truck is unique, believe it or not. Every part I swapped, including those from other vehicles, is tried and true low budget Toyota modifications that just plain work. About the only thing that is out of the ordinary is that the springs I used up front are from a 3rd Gen truck (like yours and mine) and are therefore 4 inches longer than the rears most guys use in front...but we made it work with some modifications. It really is amazing how brand loyal people are when in the end their rig is a menagerie of the best parts from every manufacturer.

And yes, the bus would probably win over the truck in both the standing quarter mile and top speed out on the salt flats.
Old 10-10-2007, 07:00 PM   #14
jdd

looking for some feed back if possible i am looking around for my first skoolie and have found some internationals with dta 360 170 horse ive read they are a little under powered and if you turn them up the trany becomes the weak link theese ones have a five speed standard trany so finally my questions is the 360 that underpowered does the 5 speed make it better or worse if you turn them up will the 5 speed be ok im thinking yes and it has 4.44 rear axle ok comprimise for power and speed???? thanks for any help
jdd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2007, 11:20 PM   #15
Bus Geek

i have a dt360 and dont' think it's underpowered at all.....now that i turned it up. I would just about gnaw off my left arm to have a 5 speed manual trans.

the only downside to the 360 verses the 5.9 cummins is fuel economy. The 5.9 seems to be better on fuel.