Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-30-2014, 01:19 PM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

Wheel-well-less Bus?

Are there any buses that dont have the tops of the wheel wells sticking into the cabin? Where the front two are on most seem to interfere with my current design. It's fine if that's my only option, but I'm just wondering if there are buses that dont have those.

Beemobile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2014, 02:15 PM   #2
Mini-Skoolie

Re: Wheel-well-less Bus?

It may seem like I am stalking you, Bee, but I am not. Just a time thing here.

Can't remember where exactly I saw it, but under one of the discussions in the bus conversion section I saw someone with a flat-floored full/mid sized bus. Was used for multiple wheelchair transport. Had a ramp out the back, like on a U-Haul truck. only problem was the interior floor was raised to the height of the top of where the wheel wells would have been. So he lost that height overall. It might not be an issue if you are short, but if you are over 5'8 or so, it might matter a bit.

Other people here have found all sorts of creative ways around the wells mucking up their floor plans. I think you are going to be stuck with them, so you might as well design around them.

And, since I live in Gator land, I just gotta say it... GO VOLS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

(Nothing will turn you off of a certain football team colors than walking into Sears and seeing an orange and blue bathroom display, down to the tub, toilet and yes, the toilet paper. Bleh.)
abwetzel63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2014, 04:02 PM   #3
Bus Nut

Dognose school bus is lacking the wheelwells in the front because they're already under the engine in front of you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by abwetzel63
It may seem like I am stalking you, Bee, but I am not.
I'm stalking both y'all.

Dog is my copilot. As I have no dog, I have no flight plan.

"If all porkchops were perfect, we wouldn't have hotdogs!" -Steven Universe
Das Mel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2014, 10:21 PM   #4
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by abwetzel63
It may seem like I am stalking you, Bee, but I am not. Just a time thing here.

Can't remember where exactly I saw it, but under one of the discussions in the bus conversion section I saw someone with a flat-floored full/mid sized bus. Was used for multiple wheelchair transport. Had a ramp out the back, like on a U-Haul truck. only problem was the interior floor was raised to the height of the top of where the wheel wells would have been. So he lost that height overall. It might not be an issue if you are short, but if you are over 5'8 or so, it might matter a bit.

Other people here have found all sorts of creative ways around the wells mucking up their floor plans. I think you are going to be stuck with them, so you might as well design around them.

And, since I live in Gator land, I just gotta say it... GO VOLS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

(Nothing will turn you off of a certain football team colors than walking into Sears and seeing an orange and blue bathroom display, down to the tub, toilet and yes, the toilet paper. Bleh.)
I guess you're not the football type LOL! I'm an avid vols fan and while I actually go to school in Melbourne, FL, Knoxville, TN is my home.
Old 07-30-2014, 10:27 PM   #5
Mini-Skoolie

Grew up in Satellite Beach, moved to Gainesville (FL) before realizing how crappily liberal and stupid this dumb town is. Now, would rather have moved to Townsend, TN.

Wife went to MTSU - she loves the miniature ponies!

One of the reasons we want a skoolie is so we can go see the mountains, and especially go to Cade's Cove. Love the Cove.
Old 07-31-2014, 07:36 AM   #6
Bus Geek

the wheelwell-less buses will have less headroom, by about 6in or more, might be an issue
bansil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2014, 08:36 AM   #7
Bus Nut

^ Oh,right. On account'a they're jacked way up there for the ground/wheel clearance, right?

Dog is my copilot. As I have no dog, I have no flight plan.

"If all porkchops were perfect, we wouldn't have hotdogs!" -Steven Universe
Das Mel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2014, 12:38 PM   #8
Mini-Skoolie

Stopped by the local school on my way to run errands. They had busses out there and were doing drills or something. The totally wheelchair bus floor is jacked up about 6-8" over a regular bus, and it also had the uhaul ramp. (Guess I need to learn to carry a tape measure so I can be a real skoolie...)

As to football, well, my wife went to FSU, I hate the Gators, so any team that plays against the gators is good, and watching FSU play, and especially beat the gators is great. We watch most of the 'Nole football games on the Sunshine Network (a Florida channel) so most of the time we don't even have to deal with primetime network announcers. It is great.
Old 08-10-2014, 07:22 AM   #9
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 2002
Coachwork: Blue bird
Chassis: Handy bus
Engine: 5.9 cummins

My bus is a 32' bluebird. It has a wheelchair lift, and has no wheel wells inside the bus. I'm a half inch from 6' tall and my head clears the whole ceiling.
SmokinJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2014, 07:45 AM   #10
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokinJ
My bus is a 32' bluebird. It has a wheelchair lift, and has no wheel wells inside the bus. I'm a half inch from 6' tall and my head clears the whole ceiling.
Is it a pusher?