Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-21-2019, 12:46 AM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1991
Engine: 7.8 Liter Ford/New Holland inline 6
When to Paint?

Hi All

I have read a ton about what to use for exterior paint and how to apply, but I cannot find (please forgive if this has been discussed and I missed it) advice on WHEN the best time to paint the exterior.

We have cleared the inside of the bus and are about to move to phase 2.

SO, do we paint the exterior while we can still take the windows out, tape everything, and not have to worry about getting paint on the windows (if we decide to spray and not roll)? But risk damaging the paint while we work and move things in and out and just do a touch up at the end?

Or do we wait and paint at the end just to be sure?

Or does it not matter at all?

If anyone wants to throw dollars at the little "Thank You" pole dancer above I can send you our paypal acct info

DaCaNoWiSe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2019, 02:01 AM   #2
Bus Geek

Year: 2007
Coachwork: Thomas Built
Chassis: Minotour
Engine: Chevy Express 3500 6.6l
I’ve been debating the same. At first I thought it was the first thing that I should do so that it’s legal to drive. Then I realized I need to do stuff to the outside like add access doors and such so I thought I’d paint after I mounted the under body storage and propane door. But I’ve been driving it around, taking my dad to the doctor (wheelchair bus) moving stuff out of storage with it and stuff like that. I’m starting to think that the cops don’t care. So now I’m thinking of painting last. I’m interested in other’s responses.

Others may correct me, but it’s not necessary to remove the windows to paint. Masking tape and .5 mil masking plastic.
Danjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2019, 08:37 AM   #3
Bus Crazy

Year: 2003
Coachwork: IC / Amtran
Chassis: CE300
Engine: International T444e
Rated Cap: 23
I know this isn't exactly what you're asking, but it is relevant to the 'when to paint' question...

Paint when the temperature and humidity are within the recommended ranges of the paint you choose, and at a time in the year when the weather is as stable and predictable as possible, so those conditions are likely to remain until the paint cures.

For example, we're putting our interior floor paint on hold until the end of summer. Extreme temps, high-humidity, and frequent/random storms common to the monsoon season are a bad mix for paint.

Our Build: Mr. Beefy
TheHubbardBus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2019, 11:42 AM   #4
Bus Nut

Year: 2001
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: CS RE
Engine: ISC 8.3 L 260 hp
Rated Cap: 36
I am thinking about painting the interior and exterior at the same time with the windows out. This way I can get under the window frames and don't have to worry about overspray on the windows. I'll paint the exterior last as overspray that gets on the interior won't hurt any thing.

Ted
TJones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2019, 12:07 PM   #5
Bus Nut

Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: T/C 2000 28 foot Handy Bus
Engine: Cummins 5.9 Mechanical
Rated Cap: 2
[QUOTE=Danjo;Then I realized I need to do stuff to the outside like add access doors and such so I thought I’d paint after I mounted the under body storage and propane door.

Others may correct me, but it’s not necessary to remove the windows to paint. Masking tape and .5 mil masking plastic.[/QUOTE]

Take the windows out to paint??? Dammit Jim Im doing it wrong!
Attached Thumbnails
Message_1563394402566.jpg   20190719_130658.jpg  
Rivetboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2019, 12:12 PM   #6
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rivetboy View Post
I did pop the front sheetmetal and the bumper off though.
Attached Thumbnails
20190720_143001.jpg   20190720_143005.jpg  
Old 07-21-2019, 12:21 PM   #7
Bus Nut

Quote:
I did pop the front sheetmetal and the bumper off though.
I forgot to mention we completely blue painters taped both sides from the windows down and painted the tape white. This is for the same reason as you, we still have things that need to be cut in plus window and rub rail removal in measured steps in the future.
Old 07-21-2019, 12:22 PM   #8
Bus Geek

Year: 2007
Coachwork: Thomas Built
Chassis: Minotour
Engine: Chevy Express 3500 6.6l
Quote:
Well, I’d like to pull the gasketed windows in the cab area of my shorty. I’m still thinking about it. Glass guys aren’t too expensive, right?
Danjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2019, 12:51 PM   #9
Bus Nut

Year: 1995
Coachwork: Blue-Bird
Chassis: TC RE 3408
Engine: 5.9 Cummins 12V Mechanical/Allison MT643
Rated Cap: Blue-Bird says 72 pass.
I don't think I have to paint my bus. I've never heard anything about Oregon having a law like that, as a matter of fact I've always heard they didn't. If they have one it's definitely not enforced. However, I'm doing this on a tight budget as cash flow permits, and so I have 2 to-do-lists: one essential, the things I need; and the other non-essential, the things I want.

Driving something that is not yellow with black spots is quite high on my non-essential list, like no lower than no. 2, just behind solar panels. But the essential list is long at this point, and I'm not driving the bus yet. I plan to get some type of elastomeric coating on the roof before Oregon's rainy season hits again. That's on the essential list, and so I might decide to put a couple of coats of Rust-Oleum on the roof first, after a good pressure washing or two along with a light touch on the roof seams with my angle grinder. But painting the lower part of the bus will have to wait awhile.

And here in Oregon an important consideration about when to paint is when you have a good chance of having 2 days in a row without rain. Unless you have a roof or a big tarp with something strong enough to hold it up in the wind.
gs1949 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2019, 01:32 PM   #10
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danjo View Post
Well, I’d like to pull the gasketed windows in the cab area of my shorty. I’m still thinking about it. Glass guys aren’t too expensive, right?
If they do not leak or the seals are not deteriorated, why not tape them? R and R fixed windows is a pain even when someone else does it. Plus, labor and the risk of breakage and buying a new seal adds to the loss of funds spent elsewhere..
Old 07-21-2019, 01:38 PM   #11
Bus Nut

Quote:
If they do not leak or the seals are not deteriorated, why not tape them? R and R fixed windows is a pain even when someone else does it. Plus, labor and the risk of breakage and buying a new seal adds to the loss of funds spent elsewhere..
Old 07-21-2019, 01:46 PM   #12
Bus Nut

Year: 2001
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: CS RE
Engine: ISC 8.3 L 260 hp
Rated Cap: 36
Quote:
There is no need to pull windows to paint. I was planning on pulling mine to check for rust behind the frames and to reseal them.

Ted
TJones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2019, 02:50 PM   #13
Bus Crazy

Year: 1975
Coachwork: Chevy
Chassis: 8 window
Engine: 454 LS7
Rated Cap: 24,500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TJones View Post
There is no need to pull windows to paint. I was planning on pulling mine to check for rust behind the frames and to reseal them.

Ted
if I get a school bus, it has to be painted before driven where I live - plus I don't like the idea of a big yellow bus added to the mess of projects on the go that are part of doing what we do - I planned on prepping, priming, and first coating the bus before I did much of anything to the bus - having it look something like it will look when finished may add incentive to get everything done sooner, and a colour schemed bus won't look so red neck to visiting clients - any modifications done to the exterior later, marks, scuffs etc, can be touched up before putting on the final finish coat
Sleddgracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2019, 03:21 PM   #14
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
I’ve been debating the same. At first I thought it was the first thing that I should do so that it’s legal to drive. Then I realized I need to do stuff to the outside like add access doors and such so I thought I’d paint after I mounted the under body storage and propane door. But I’ve been driving it around, taking my dad to the doctor (wheelchair bus) moving stuff out of storage with it and stuff like that. I’m starting to think that the cops don’t care. So now I’m thinking of painting last. I’m interested in other’s responses.

Others may correct me, but it’s not necessary to remove the windows to paint. Masking tape and .5 mil masking plastic.
We are also adding under-boxes and any painting would be, of course, after this. The reason we considered painting with the windows removed is so we can simultaneously tint do gasket repair. And paint the window frames themselves.

We aren't currently driving our bus anywhere so color isn't an issue. Besides this, the previous owner had painted over the yellow with green. Poorly.

As for the laws, We're sure they vary slightly, state to state, but the common theme with all is that the ""School" labeling is removed or covered, and no Stop Arm. We are all good there.
Old 07-21-2019, 03:23 PM   #15
Mini-Skoolie

RivetBoy: Great paint job! Looks great. Wanna paint ours too?
Old 07-21-2019, 03:30 PM   #16
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by gs1949 View Post
... and so I have 2 to-do-lists: one essential, the things I need; and the other non-essential, the things I want.

... I plan to get some type of elastomeric coating on the roof before Oregon's rainy season hits again. That's on the essential list, and so I might decide to put a couple of coats of Rust-Oleum on the roof first, after a good pressure washing or two along with a light touch on the roof seams with my angle grinder. But painting the lower part of the bus will have to wait awhile...
Oh, yeah, we learned that 2 list lesson as well.

We have already repainted our roof. We used Hy-Tech Thermal Solutions Aqua-Prime and then Bus-Kote after we pressure washed, scraped, sanded, re-pressure washed, sealed.

After all coats were on and dry, we did a touch test of the roof. After sun beat the roof all day in 95 degree heat, the metal was still cool to the touch.
Old 07-21-2019, 03:35 PM   #17
Bus Nut

Year: 1995
Coachwork: Blue-Bird
Chassis: TC RE 3408
Engine: 5.9 Cummins 12V Mechanical/Allison MT643
Rated Cap: Blue-Bird says 72 pass.
Sounds good, thanks for sharing that info.
gs1949 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2019, 03:57 PM   #18
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Genesis
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466/3060
Rated Cap: 77
When painting the roof in an elastomeric paint, what method delivers the smoothest result?
o1marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2019, 04:00 PM   #19
Bus Crazy

Year: 1975
Coachwork: Chevy
Chassis: 8 window
Engine: 454 LS7
Rated Cap: 24,500
Quote:
Originally Posted by o1marc View Post
When painting the roof in an elastomeric paint, what method delivers the smoothest result?
smoothest is spray - quickest too
Sleddgracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2019, 04:01 PM   #20
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Genesis
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466/3060
Rated Cap: 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sleddgracer View Post
smoothest is spray - quickest too