Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 02-11-2019, 02:18 PM   #1
Mini-Skoolie
 
Join Date: Feb 2019
Location: Germany
Posts: 12
Post Where to get manuals and datasheets for CAD plans and dimensions?

Hey Everyone,
for a planned conversion of a 1997 Thomas Built on a Navistar International 3800 chassis I am searching for internal and external dimensions.
I have already seen manuals for other school buses, which included CAD drawings of the bus and the corresponding measurements and am now searching for such.

Not finding anything via the search I hope this wasn't asked before.

for helping me out.

.caspar
caspar. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2019, 03:37 PM   #2
Skoolie
 
Join Date: Jul 2018
Location: Olathe, Kansas
Posts: 183
Year: 1990
Coachwork: Crown
Chassis: Supercoach
Engine: 6-71TA
Rated Cap: 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by caspar. View Post
Hey Everyone,
for a planned conversion of a 1997 Thomas Built on a Navistar International 3800 chassis I am searching for internal and external dimensions.
I have already seen manuals for other school buses, which included CAD drawings of the bus and the corresponding measurements and am now searching for such.

Not finding anything via the search I hope this wasn't asked before.

for helping me out.

.caspar

I have also searched for drawings but for a Crown and did not find anything so far. I searched mainly for Blender or Sketchup drawings thinking someone may have used those apps and was willing to share. Have you tried searching for any of those?
GWRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2019, 03:56 PM   #3
Mini-Skoolie
 
Join Date: Feb 2019
Location: Germany
Posts: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by GWRider View Post
I have also searched for drawings but for a Crown and did not find anything so far. I searched mainly for Blender or Sketchup drawings thinking someone may have used those apps and was willing to share. Have you tried searching for any of those?
The only CAD Drawings I managed to find were actually sold for like 150$ up. While being pretty good, I am not willing to spend that much.

Right now I am at least trying to find some 2D CAD drawings from maybe an old manual etc. , converting it into a 3D model shouldn't be a big problem, as I have got access to Autocad too.
caspar. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2019, 04:09 PM   #4
Bus Nut
 
Drew Bru's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2016
Location: Minnehaha Co., SD
Posts: 801
Year: 1996
Coachwork: Amtran
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466
Rated Cap: 65
I created a 3D model of our bus in Autocad but, honestly, it was good for planning purposes but not much else. Good for getting a rough idea of the layout. It was nice to have a 3d walkthrough and to insert stock furniture and appliances. I pretty much just used rough dimensions for the model I created. The textures, wood grain, fabrics, etc. were just never quite right when I rendered the model.

Once we started the actual building of it, those plans went out the window and the interior grew organically as the process played out. The appliances, cabinetry and furnishings were much different in the real world than they were in Autocad. We altered our layout on the fly when we had actual pieces to move around.

I'd recommend getting as close as you can, dimensionally, in Autocad and roughing out the design with the Autodesk Architecture block for furnishings/appliances/cabinetry. The work the details out when you have a bus and the objects that are going to go in it. Also, I'd recommend not buying too much things ahead of time....or if you do, save the receipts so you can return them!
__________________
Our Build: https://dazzlingbluebus.wordpress.com/
Drew Bru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2019, 11:39 AM   #5
Mini-Skoolie
 
Join Date: Feb 2019
Location: Germany
Posts: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drew Bru View Post
I'd recommend getting as close as you can, dimensionally, in Autocad and roughing out the design with the Autodesk Architecture block for furnishings/appliances/cabinetry. The work the details out when you have a bus and the objects that are going to go in it. Also, I'd recommend not buying too much things ahead of time....or if you do, save the receipts so you can return them!
Thanks for sharing your experience. And the tip at the end is probably pretty good!

No worries tho. I want to create the plans upfront, because right now I've got a lot of time that can be taken up by this, and when it's done I can use it during the building progress whenever I need it. Also I'd like to plan out some of the grey/black water piping up front. Won't start before later this year anyways.

Doesn't seem like anybody has got some original 2d plans tho.
caspar. is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:59 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
×