Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-17-2016, 09:49 PM   #1

Where to store during conversion?

Hey y'all!!!

I'm new to this forum and my husband and I are planning on embarking on our first ever conversion!!! YAY! My husband is in the navy and we were trying to think of ways of saving money on housing and reducing our ecological foot print wherever he may be stationed, enter the SKOOLIE!!! But... We currently live in a mother-in-law suite in San Diego where we would not be able to store or do the repairs at. I doubt the RV/boat storage facilities would allow us to do all the necessary demolition, construction and repairs on the premises and we're dumbfounded where to look. Any advice or suggestions would be greatly appreciated! Thank you! Have a beautiful day!!!

Lauren-Joy

LJAirlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2016, 09:54 PM   #2
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
Make friends with someone who owns lots of land. Or buy some if you can afford to.
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2016, 09:56 PM   #3
Mini-Skoolie

Coachwork: AmTran
Chassis: International
Engine: DT530
Rated Cap: 84
I'd say your only option is to look at storage yards. They are all different. The RV lot where I keep mine is just a gigantic gravel parking lot. I never see anybody out there when I pick up my bus and I doubt they would have a problem if I worked on it there. The problem for me is there isn't power available. You'll also need to know how long your bus is. Some places can only take 30' or 35' etc. Mine is 40' so a lot of places were a no-go from the start.
Bus Driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2016, 10:03 PM   #4

I wish I could buy land out here! Just a 1 acre lot 45 minutes away from the beach is about $300k. I was thinking about trying to find someone with land but I would probably have to drive 40 minutes to get there so I was hoping to find something relatively close so that I can pop in real quick if I need to not on days I plan on working on it.
Old 08-17-2016, 10:04 PM   #5

I'll probably have to call around to see what everyone says, and I really want to get a 40' as well and didn't realize that could possibly be an issue. Thank you!
Old 08-17-2016, 10:45 PM   #6
Bus Crazy

Year: 1988
Coachwork: Crown / Pusher
Engine: 8.3 Cummins
Right beside your home, I pulled in with our bus & wife said "What are the neighbors going to say?"

I said "When they pay for our vacations or retirement home they can have a say until then I don't care"

Oh and every one of them have been very supportive
Stu & Filo. T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2016, 10:46 PM   #7

Haha! I wish it were that simple, we're renting and it's not our property, nor is there enough room

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk
Old 08-18-2016, 05:51 AM   #8
Bus Nut

Coachwork: AmTran
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466E
Rated Cap: 84
My storage facility does not mind if I work on my bus at all. Their only comment was do not leave any trash on the ground. All you have to do is call them and ask. You may be surprised how many will let you do the conversion on the property. You will need to buy a generator though if you want electricity out there.
Old 08-18-2016, 09:02 AM   #9
Bus Crazy

Year: 1989
Chassis: Saf-T-Liner ER
Engine: 3208 CAT/MT643 tranny
Rated Cap: 87
LJ,

Do some research before buying. Find out what storage facilities allow you to work on your bus. We were fortunate to find CubeSmart in our area that allows me to work on my bus. It may take you a bit of effort to find one and it may be a bit of a drive to get there. However, you need to balance short term inconvenience with long term gains.

Best of luck!

M
Old 08-18-2016, 09:24 AM   #10

Yea, I never thought of just calling and asking, I just assumed they would say no. Thank you! I'm gonna just start calling around and see what I can find! 😁

Old 08-18-2016, 09:33 AM   #11
Mini-Skoolie

Chassis: Still dreaming about a bus
Check with the base that he is stationed. They may have an auto hobby shop, wood shop, or a large vehicle storage area where you could park it.

Thank you for his service.
Lamacose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2016, 09:36 AM   #12

OH YEA!!! I forgot about that!!! I was in the navy YEARS ago and I would always change my own oil over on Coronado and they had lifts there too! Thank you!!!

Old 08-18-2016, 10:09 AM   #13

i am having a similar issue. we could work at our current house but our driveway isnt long enough, and the garage isnt big enough either. we could try our yard but our city is pretty enforceful and would likely call it "blight" (we got a 300 ticket once for having a truck cap on the lawn and grass over 6 inches). we found through craigslist a man renting out two spots on his property for rv and is willing to provide electric. he is a few cities away and as acres. it could be an option for us, although i'm not a fan of what he charges, it would work for the time being.

i have also asked my work (which is in the same city i live in but is off the beaten path and we lock the gates at night so hoping the city wont come by). my boss hasn't decided yet but finger crossed. my other thoughts are maybe another local businesses parking lot for the build. good luck on finding yours.
GingerCADGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2016, 01:13 PM   #14
Bus Geek

Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
Not having somewhere to store it cost me my first bus. And cost me TONS of money in city code violations etc.
I lost money taking that free bus.

Now I have good friends with tons of acreage for days. But its a 20-25 minute ride to the bus two towns over. Best I could do, and proud to have it!

I would NOT buy a bus until you have at least 2 places that you can store it. ALways have a backup plan!
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2016, 02:08 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by GingerCADGirl View Post
i am having a similar issue. we could work at our current house but our driveway isnt long enough, and the garage isnt big enough either. we could try our yard but our city is pretty enforceful and would likely call it "blight" (we got a 300 ticket once for having a truck cap on the lawn and grass over 6 inches). we found through craigslist a man renting out two spots on his property for rv and is willing to provide electric. he is a few cities away and as acres. it could be an option for us, although i'm not a fan of what he charges, it would work for the time being.

i have also asked my work (which is in the same city i live in but is off the beaten path and we lock the gates at night so hoping the city wont come by). my boss hasn't decided yet but finger crossed. my other thoughts are maybe another local businesses parking lot for the build. good luck on finding yours.
GEEZE!!! That's an outrageous ticket! I hope you find something too!

Old 08-18-2016, 02:11 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by EastCoastCB View Post
Not having somewhere to store it cost me my first bus. And cost me TONS of money in city code violations etc.
I lost money taking that free bus.

Now I have good friends with tons of acreage for days. But its a 20-25 minute ride to the bus two towns over. Best I could do, and proud to have it!

I would NOT buy a bus until you have at least 2 places that you can store it. ALways have a backup plan!
Yea, I'm thinking I might just have to buck up and drive to the outskirts of town... my friend just bought property with 2 acres so I might just commander the a little part of it. Haha

Tags
demolition, navy, repairs, san diego, storage