Old 08-10-2011, 10:01 AM   #11
Re: Which skoolie would be better for me?

Not off topic at all!

Here's what I can tell you from what I've been learning...

First, find out what engine the E450 has. If it's a gas engine with 90K miles you want to consider that differently than a diesel version which will last longer.

In 2003, you could either have a 7.3L engine or the newer 6.0L Ford Engine. The advice I've gotten so far is that the newer 6.0L engines suck and will require more servicing over their lifespan. The question becomes, just because they had a fleet of techs who could service the vehicle, do you? I spoke with a fellow in NJ last week that had four shuttles avail (I don't recall the mileage but all were 6.0L and all under $5K).

If it's in fact a 19pass Diesel E450 with a 7.3L engine than I think the $5K price may be fair but not nec cheap.
I've been looking for this exact config with over 100K miles (say 130K-150K) on a Diesel and still believe that I will find what I want at $4K or under

Hope this helps.
wirelessguyNY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011, 11:04 AM   #12
Re: Which skoolie would be better for me?

From what i read, diesel will give you better gas mileage then the V10 amd you'll get more power.
Under heavy koad the V10s have been known to pop spark plugs.

When purchased new many people like the V10s b/c they are substantially cheaper than the diesels. However, onve yoi get into the used market it becomes a game of jow much mileage before you need to replace a given engine or tranny and how much either will cost to repair. Repairs on diesels tend to be more expensive but u also het longer stretch until you hit thay need. In the same (used) price range I'm still leaning toward diesel.
wirelessguyNY is offline   Reply With Quote