Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-16-2009, 10:43 AM   #1
Bus Nut

Year: 1991
Coachwork: ward
Chassis: IH
Engine: dt466
Rated Cap: 72
Which stove to install?

Do I run a small household stove/oven? A RV type stove/oven? Maybe just a stove top? How about just a cut-out in the counter where my big Coleman stove could fit. Decisions, decisions.
After trying to decide what king of stove to run, I happened on a deal for a "Camp Chef" stove/oven. It can run on the 1 lb. bottles or be plumbed into the main LP system. I will make a cutout in the counter to fit the stove in. It will be removable for use anywhere else I wanted to take it also. It only has a two burner top, but I think that will be acceptable. It will give me a little more counter space than a regular RV stove would allow. The oven space should be adequate for my needs.
It bought this new with a cover for $180.00
So what-cha-all think?

Old 04-16-2009, 03:26 PM   #2
Bus Nut

Re: Which stove to install?

I agree with smitty, useage is the key, if you're full timing an oven is a lot more important than if it is short term/vacation type use.
paul iossi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2009, 05:53 PM   #3
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1993
Coachwork: Amtran
Chassis: International Cornbinder
Engine: DT466
Rated Cap: 84

I have a 3 burner stove/oven I will be putting in my bus from our old slide in truck camper. I like the idea of being able to bake something when I want to. FWIW though you can get a foldable coleman oven if you dont think you will use the oven often.

[Thread hijack]How many of ya'll are using tankless waterheaters? Thats the way I intend to go with mine[/threadhijack]
gotmuddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2009, 06:38 PM   #4
Bus Crazy

Coachwork: Ward Genesis
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466/MT643
Rated Cap: 77

Go used, guys! I got my apartment-size (26"?) stove (with a hood, which I rewired for 12V) for $125, which included converting it from natural gas to bottled propane and the guy loading it into my truck. It came from an appliance repair place.
Jarlaxle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2009, 09:39 PM   #5
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by vanguy67
If it was just me.........

Used would be just fine. EVERYTHING is "used" once you take it home anyway....isn't it?

Unfortunately my XYL demands several things be brand new. I thought a used toilet would be OK myself..... but no!

She is willing to indulge my bus conversion dreams IF she gets to pick several things in the bus to HER liking. A NEW stove, reefer, and toilet are 3 of those things.

I'm willing to indulge her demands. She is very helpful/supportive about things I want my way in the bus and she's even willing to help with the construction when she is able.....

What's a new stove worth for THAT???

surplus is not used, try, rvsurplus salvage, bontragers, &tristate surplus, online they are all in the Elkhart In. area,also check your local rv dealers, times are tough and cash is king
Old 04-16-2009, 09:50 PM   #6
Mini-Skoolie

Coachwork: Amtran
Chassis: International Cornbinder

Quote:
If it was just me.........

Used would be just fine. EVERYTHING is "used" once you take it home anyway....isn't it?

Unfortunately my XYL demands several things be brand new. I thought a used toilet would be OK myself..... but no!

She is willing to indulge my bus conversion dreams IF she gets to pick several things in the bus to HER liking. A NEW stove, reefer, and toilet are 3 of those things.

I'm willing to indulge her demands. She is very helpful/supportive about things I want my way in the bus and she's even willing to help with the construction when she is able.....

What's a new stove worth for THAT???

My wife is the same way. In the beginning the skoolie idea was a hard sell but once she started thinking about how it will look when done she started liking it.
gotmuddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2009, 08:50 AM   #7
Bus Nut

the household basement type of flush up hill toilets are a version of the macerator systems, hopefully without the marine/rv price or the household water requirements
Old 04-17-2009, 08:58 AM   #8
Bus Nut

Vanguy, yes that's the stove. It was an ebay bid item. Should be here in a couple days.
To all, Yes we got to keep the better (or other) halves happy. If she'll be doing the cooking on it, she should choose what she would like to cook on. I think this little stove should work for use. I did consider just a stove top and use one of the coleman fold up ovens. Those work fairly well, but I think a dedicated oven will work better in the long run.
Decided against an apartment stove because of height. That extra room could be used for water heater (as suggested) or a pan drawer below the stove.
Looking into an on demand hot water heater and, one of those macerator toilets would be fantastic, as it does free up toilet placement.
Old 04-17-2009, 09:58 AM   #9
Bus Nut

Old 04-17-2009, 07:18 PM   #10
Almost There

Year: 92
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: TC2000
Engine: 5.9 Cummins

Quote:
I still can't figure a way to buy one of those electric marine toilets with the built-in macerator pump without dropping $500 though.

what about something like this connected to a traditional camper toilet http://cgi.ebay.com/Multikwik-Toilet-Ma ... 3:1|294:50
bbbrt76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2009, 11:17 PM   #11
Bus Nut

They have a sense of humor, its just not the same that guys have.
Sojakai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2009, 12:20 AM   #12
Bus Crazy

Year: 1984
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: All American
Engine: 3208 na boat anchor
Rated Cap: 2

Yeah, I suppose they do have a sense of humor.

They always seem to drive off with a new car, child support & twenty thousand dollars.

I get the dog.
bus-bro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2009, 10:00 AM   #13
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by bus-bro
Yeah, I suppose they do have a sense of humor.

They always seem to drive off with a new car, child support & twenty thousand dollars.

I get the dog.
With my first wife, that was a fair trade
Old 05-08-2009, 08:51 AM   #14
Mini-Skoolie

Coachwork: genesis
Chassis: international harvester

My wife & I bought a premier 30" gas range from aj madison, they come in smaller sizes the smaller ie. 20 or 24 " are higher in price, the premier are made in the us. & do not have a glow bar, you can get peizo ignition or like ours & have a pilot light, hope this helps.
dieselman69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2009, 03:13 PM   #15
Skoolie

Year: 2003
Coachwork: 2003 Thomas E-350 shorty
Chassis: E350
Engine: 7.3 Powerstroke
Rated Cap: 24

A pilot light can be problematic if you use the stove as counter space (usable space inside a bus is at a premium!!). Also adds heat, which is a negative in some climates. You'll need to put a ball valve in a readily accessible place if there's a need to have the pilot out. Or do as I plan and dis-connect the pilot from the gas, making the stove match-light only.
Old 05-11-2009, 10:55 AM   #16
Mini-Skoolie

Coachwork: genesis
Chassis: international harvester

if the comments are towards our premier stove with standing pilot , we will not be having the pilot lit my wife just didn't want the piezo electric pilot stoves, a house we bought years ago had a gas stove with a piezo electric pilot & we had nothing but problems from that, & thank you for the advice about turning down the gas or off to the pilot light, we were planning on lighting the stove or oven only as needed can't afford to waste gas
dieselman69 is offline   Reply With Quote