Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-12-2018, 03:50 PM   #1
Almost There

Year: 1992
Rated Cap: 35 kids
White knuckle towing

I was planning on towing a 16' single axel trailer with my smart car on it but lately I have had second thoughts about it. It only takes one time to have a catastrophic incident with a trailer. I know it probably wouldn't happen, but Im not sure I want to take that chance...I can work around the benefits of taking the trailer and car but I cant work around a trailer coming unhitched and the White knuckles that I will surely have by taking it. Any thoughts on this dilemma Im facing...

scoolbus1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2018, 04:26 PM   #2
Bus Crazy

Year: 2001
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Thomas
Engine: CAT 3126
Quote:
Originally Posted by scoolbus1 View Post
I was planning on towing a 16' single axel trailer with my smart car on it but lately I have had second thoughts about it. It only takes one time to have a catastrophic incident with a trailer. I know it probably wouldn't happen, but Im not sure I want to take that chance...I can work around the benefits of taking the trailer and car but I cant work around a trailer coming unhitched and the White knuckles that I will surely have by taking it. Any thoughts on this dilemma Im facing...

Why not flat tow? That’s what I do. I have a break away system that will apply brakes if the hitch and safety chains fail. Either way a breakaway system could help with some peace of mind.

I enjoy NOT towing when I can get away with it, but it isn’t that bad. What will you do with the trailer when camped? Some sites are pretty tight.

https://www.skoolie.net/forums/f11/4-...ner-18205.html
david.dgeorge07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2018, 05:08 PM   #3
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by scoolbus1 View Post
Seems like there would be some way of just hauling a smart car IN the bus lol.

I tow a trailer nearly every day. You'll get over it. Get a tandem axle. They're way smoother and better for larger loads.
I've had blowouts with two big commercial mowers on a 16' trailer and its not too bad at all.
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2018, 05:18 PM   #4
Bus Crazy

Year: 1971
Coachwork: Wayne
Chassis: International Loadstar 1700
Engine: 345 international V-8
I would use a tandem axle trailer even though a smart car may be light enough to not need it. Just gives a nice margin of safety, and generally behave well. I have towed with many different vehicles, towing many different trailers, and never had one come unhitched.

Pay attention that it is in fact on the ball correctly and latched properly. Have someone show you what to look for so you will know. There is nothing to fear about towing, however you do need to learn the basics and be sure to follow them without fail. Make a check list if you need.

Not all cars can be flat towed so check with your dealer and make sure it is ok if you choose to go that route instead of a trailer.
Ronnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2018, 07:41 PM   #5
Bus Crazy

I had the giant nut that holds the ball on fall off once, but even then nothing came apart. I consider that a miracle, but still. Inspect regularly and don’t skimp on safety/fail safe gear and you should be ok.

+1 on tandem axle, although the rear suspension on a bus is stiff enough that even a single probably won’t push you around very much.

Old 11-13-2018, 07:42 AM   #6
Bus Crazy

Year: 1998
Coachwork: MCI
Chassis: 102 EL3
Engine: DD 60
My usual question: "How do you plan to use your setup??"

If typical RV type travel and staying at campgrounds, I suspect you'll find the trailer to be a huge pain in the rear. At many campgrounds, you have to park your trailer somewhere other than your site. I see people dealing with short car dolly's and that looks like a pain - can't imagine how bad a 16' trailer would be.

If for only occasional use, the trailer might be ok but I'm with the others, get a dual axle trailer.

Flat tow is far and away the easiest and most convenient for frequent/full-time use. Of course, that is debated every day on RV forums so everyone has an opinion. After flat towing my Jeep Wrangler for nearly five years, I can report that it is dead simple and very quick to attach/detach. Tows like a dream. Never had a problem. Takes about 3 minutes to hook up or unhook. The negative is that some vehicles don't allow it and the equipment to get started is not inexpensive (tow bar, brake system). My setup is here.
JDOnTheGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2018, 08:08 AM   #7
Bus Crazy

Year: 1996
Coachwork: Amtran
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466
Rated Cap: 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDOnTheGo View Post

If typical RV type travel and staying at campgrounds, I suspect you'll find the trailer to be a huge pain in the rear. At many campgrounds, you have to park your trailer somewhere other than your site. I see people dealing with short car dolly's and that looks like a pain - can't imagine how bad a 16' trailer would be.

If for only occasional use, the trailer might be ok but I'm with the others, get a dual axle trailer.

Flat tow is far and away the easiest and most convenient for frequent/full-time use. Of course, that is debated every day on RV forums so everyone has an opinion. After flat towing my Jeep Wrangler for nearly five years, I can report that it is dead simple and very quick to attach/detach. Tows like a dream. Never had a problem. Takes about 3 minutes to hook up or unhook. The negative is that some vehicles don't allow it and the equipment to get started is not inexpensive (tow bar, brake system). My setup is here.
Hey man, you've got the same tow bar setup as us. We love the Ready Brute Elite....until we've stopped to unhook and realized we're not perfectly straight. It's dead simple to use though and our Xterra tows like a dream, you don't even know it's back there.
OP, I know that some Smart cars can be flat towed (depending on the model year) and so if storing a trailer or dolly seems like it would be a problem, you might look into flat/dinghy towing is an option for you car.
Old 11-13-2018, 08:11 AM   #8
Bus Nut

Year: 2003
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DT466E (195hp, 520tq)
If you do stick with the single axle trailer, use a sway controller similar to this:

https://www.harborfreight.com/traile...kit-96462.html

We have one on our dual axle trailer and it works. As stated before, with a properly loaded trailer and all the safety equipment, towing becomes second nature. Just keep up on the maintenance like everything else and you'll be fine.

Dave
ermracing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2018, 08:54 AM   #9
Bus Crazy

Year: 1971
Coachwork: Wayne
Chassis: International Loadstar 1700
Engine: 345 international V-8
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDOnTheGo View Post

Must say these are valid points to think about. Do have to add that although I have never had a trailer come off, I did have a tow bar break flat towing and that got real interesting fast..... Not trying to scare anyone just saying that did happen. It was a cheap tow bar. It is worth paying a bit for a really good one.
Ronnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2018, 09:27 AM   #10
Almost There

Year: 2006
Coachwork: IH
Chassis: FE 300
Engine: DT 466
Rated Cap: 84
I pull different trailers almost every day. Your concerns about problems are good to have. They will help keep you safe. You should get used to the worry with time. A safety pin on the bottom of the ball stud, good safety chains (hooked up with the right amount of slack), breakaway brakes, the right amount of weight on the ball, extra tie downs on the load. Take it easy and don't get in a hurry hooking up. Complacency is the first step to problems.
johnforrest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2018, 11:50 AM   #11
Bus Geek

Year: 1997
Chassis: TC2000 FE
Engine: Cummins 5.9
Rated Cap: 72
From what I read while researching toads, the Smart can be flat towed without a trailer and is below the weight where a supplemental braking system is required by law.
Old 11-13-2018, 12:09 PM   #12
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
If you can flat tow it I doubt you'd even notice it back there.
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2018, 01:19 PM   #13
Bus Crazy

Only thing I hate about flat towing is the inability to back out of tight situations without unhooking. Aside from that it is by far the least hassle if the smart will allow it.

Old 11-13-2018, 01:26 PM   #14
Bus Geek

Year: 2002
Chassis: All American RE (A3RE)
Engine: Cummins ISC (8.3)
Rated Cap: 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by david.dgeorge07 View Post
Only thing I hate about flat towing is the inability to back out of tight situations without unhooking. Aside from that it is by far the least hassle if the smart will allow it.
Backing up can be a pain while flat towing can be a pain but.... Having tried trailer, dolly and flat towing over 250k miles and 40+ states... I have to agree with JD and others recommending flat towing.

After trying multiple methods I found the Blue Ox collapsible tow bar to be my favorite.

Acclaim Tow Bar | Blue Ox | Blue Ox
PNW_Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2018, 07:17 PM   #15
Bus Crazy

Year: 1989
Coachwork: 1853FC International/Navistar
Chassis: 35' Retired Air Force Ambulance
Engine: DT466, MT643
Rated Cap: 6 souls and a driver
I can honestly say that I’ve broken a Bull Dog hitch in half once... not many can say that! But, it was in a low speed turn in an intersection, so the trailer fell on the safety chains and gouged the blacktop. I pulled through the intersection, and over to the side of the road. Never felt like it was a panic situation though. At highway speeds, it’d might have ended differently.
Old 11-14-2018, 06:24 AM   #16
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
use a trailer with electric brakes and use a brake controller.. a nice tandem trailer with controlled brakes and loaded right is a nice stable rig.. you can use a rear camera on the top rear of the bus to keep an eye on it and to help with maneuvering.

-Christopher
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2018, 02:04 PM   #17
Bus Nut

Year: 2000
Coachwork: Thomsass
Chassis: FreightShaker
Engine: 5.9 Cummins 5 speed
Rated Cap: 2 ATV's and friends
Click image for larger version

Name:	102.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	177.7 KB
ID:	27268
Adjustable hitch...I have two different trailers.
Also a Tip off a straight truck welded on to deflect soot off ATV's

Name:	005.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	137.3 KB
ID:	27269
Back up camera hooked up to marker lights so I can have it on any time

Name:	078.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	144.0 KB
ID:	27270
Electric brakes for tandem trailer with brakes

Name:	015.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	299.2 KB
ID:	27271
21 foot trailer....61 feet O.A.L

Tows great....bus is under powered, will still do a buck twenty KMH
REDD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2018, 04:15 PM   #18
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by EastCoastCB View Post
Seems like there would be some way of just hauling a smart car IN the bus lol..
Actually, I have seen RV's that have 'garages' in the back where people keep bicycles, motorcycles, and ATV's. A SmartCar isn't that much heavier than an ATV or a large motorcycle, is it?
Roberta's Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2018, 04:43 PM   #19
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 2005
Chassis: Frieghtliner - 40ft overall
Engine: 210hp Mercedes Benz Diesel
Rated Cap: 71 person (originally)
I have a 2014 Jeep Weangler Unlimited and would like to take it along with the bus - what are the no kidding pros & cons of flatfooting it in tow?
05FrieghtlinerThomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2018, 05:35 PM   #20
Skoolie

If you can do wiout that last 10 feet of the body just make some folding ramps and put the back wall on hinges.

That would be my idea
Mekanic is online now   Reply With Quote