Old 01-23-2012, 01:52 PM   #11
Skoolie

Send a message via ICQ to mightybus
Re: Who uses a futon in their bus?

Futons are ok, but I find them to be very heavy to move around. If you do go the futon route you might try Big Lots. They have many at a fair price and you can buy them with a bunk bed top section.
mightybus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2012, 04:22 PM   #12
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1986
Coachwork: bluebird
Engine: Int. DT466
Rated Cap: 35

I have a futon in my bus and I love it. It's a lot bigger than those rv fold out couches which may not be what you want. I like it because it's a bigger, more comfortable place to sit and sleep more friends. There is still plenty of room in the isle. I built a wood box with a big wide storage drawer for the futon to sit on. The back board sits in a notch on the box and leans against the wall for a comfy back rest angle. When sleepy time comes, I pull the drawer out and lift the back board out of the notch and into it's designated slot covering the open drawer then slide the futon down and presto! I've got a full sized bed filling my center isle. It's a little awkward to do this transformation alone (you need one person on each side to pull the futon back and lift the back board) but I only need it when I'm hosting more than one guest, so there's always help. A lot of store bought futon frames need to be set out some from the wall to allow space for the back to swing down, giving you even less isle room. Hope this helps.
kyletheyeti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2012, 12:26 PM   #13
Skoolie

Year: 1986
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: All American RE
Engine: 3208TA Cat 250HP
Rated Cap: 84

Quote:
Originally Posted by lornaschinske
--
...can't see the link??
thommassey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2012, 09:44 PM   #14
Bus Nut

Year: 1984
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: All American
Engine: 3208 na boat anchor
Rated Cap: 2

I believe lorna has left the site, and has taken some of her posts with her. Sad because she had a lot of knowledge and experience. A stickler about spelling, and opinionated, and she would let you know about it too. Reminds of that that other famous ex-member of Skoolies.
bus-bro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 07:06 PM   #15
Bus Nut

Year: 1976
Coachwork: Wayne
Chassis: Dodge S-600
Engine: 360 V8
Rated Cap: 66

Quote:
Originally Posted by bus-bro
I believe lorna has left the site, and has taken some of her posts with her. Sad because she had a lot of knowledge and experience. A stickler about spelling, and opinionated, and she would let you know about it too. Reminds of that that other famous ex-member of Skoolies.
WTF? Another one bites the dust? Damn. When the Skunky Bus finally becomes reality, it will benefit from suggestions from Lorna. Also, she pointed out the consequences of a bad idea I posted. That helped me realize, What the hell was I thinking? I let her know that I appreciated the feedback with this response. Some people (not on Skoolie.net) have called me "oversensitive" because of how I expect people to talk (or not talk) to me. However, I'd rather have someone's candor squelch an idea of mine, than have that idea become a reality that bites me in the ass later.

Back to the subject of this thread...
When it became evident that the bank would eventually chase me out of my house, I considered installing my living-room futon in a secondhand RV, in which I'd live. The real intent was to emulate my late home-sweet-home. Since I'd mount the futon to the floor structure, I wouldn't have been able to unfold it into a bed because the whole sofa has to be moved away from the wall for that. I don't know if that is true of all futons, though. Mine is an expensive model and its cushion is more comfortable than many regular home sofas.
Old 09-26-2012, 02:22 PM   #16
Skoolie

Year: 1983
Coachwork: International
Chassis: Carpenter
Engine: 8.3

We use a Futon or out Cordaroy bag...

http://cordaroys.com/shop/cart.html

We prefer the bag to the futon it's much more comfortable, because our layout is open it's not a big deal that it takes up space...
Old 09-27-2012, 08:37 PM   #17
Skoolie

Year: 1993
Coachwork: BlueBird
Chassis: GMC
Engine: GMC
Rated Cap: 42

Hey,

Thanks for the link. The bean bag chair that converts to a mattress is a very interesting idea. However, from the videos on the site it did not look like the mattress provided very much support. From your experience is the mattress comfortable and would it be appropriate for older people with back problems?

Thanks,
John
JA Savage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 05:48 PM   #18
Bus Crazy

Year: 1990
Coachwork: Goshen
Chassis: Ford
Engine: 7.3
Rated Cap: 25
Send a message via AIM to Stuff Send a message via MSN to Stuff

i have a futon to. just two mattress on it.

My Youtube channel - https://www.youtube.com/user/thestuffz
Stuff is offline   Reply With Quote