Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-22-2018, 02:34 PM   #1

Why do some buses vary dramatically in pricing?

I’ve been looking around at some FE buses with a DT466 engine and as I’ve been looking around on eBay,,auctions, dealers etc I’ve noticed that some not all buses will have a dramatic price difference. However looking at two similar listings both appear to have the same features/wear and tear.

Obviously it’s difficult to spot out any details from a listing other than what is listed and maybe a few photos. I just want to know better as to why these prices sometimes jump dramatically.
Probably looking at spending between $5-$15k on a bus and am worried to spend too little on it because after all what good is buying something cheap and end up spending more time and money on a bus that all ready has the bells and whistles.

Right now I’m planning out my budget for the conversion and need to know roughly what everything I can think of will cost. Any inside info or advice is great. Thanks in advance

Jason

Jasonbrown177 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2018, 02:41 PM   #2
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Genesis
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466/3060
Rated Cap: 77
You will certainly find something nice for your budget. In fact I think your budget is high for entry purchase of a bus. I have a 99 International Genesis, Dt466E, Allison 3060 with only 5 gears open. Stereo, cruise control, new tires, etc. Cruises at 80mph no problem. I don't think I could have found a better bus for my needs. Paid a premium of $3500 for it.

A bus you will see at auction today for $2k you will find on a dealer lot the following week for $6K. A lot of discrepancies in prices because some people just think there buses are worth more than they actually are. Area the bus ran in could make a huge difference in price for the same bus due to rust issues.
And don't go looking for later model buses that are in the $10-$15K range. After 2004 they started adding more electrical erg stuff that often creates expensive and time consuming to diagnose electrical issues.
o1marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2018, 03:01 PM   #3

That makes sense. I forgot about the whole new ERG systems and what not. Making them more expensive to upkeep too I’d assume. I guess you’re right that people thinking a bus should cost more because I just feel like spending less than $5k means the bus is probably faulty or damaged. But clearly it’s not the case..just blows my mind that you can spend $3500 for a gem when I spent about the same for my 84’ Ford Ranger lol.
Thanks for the info I’ll use it in my research
Jasonbrown177 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2018, 03:12 PM   #4
Bus Geek

Coachwork: Genesis
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466/3060
Rated Cap: 77
$2-$3K will get you a very viable bus that will last for a long time. Best bet is between 98-04. Learn about the different drivetrains and what you will be using the bus for. Many criteria make one bus a better choice than another.
o1marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2018, 06:54 PM   #5
Bus Geek

Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jasonbrown177 View Post
That makes sense. I forgot about the whole new ERG systems and what not. Making them more expensive to upkeep too I’d assume. I guess you’re right that people thinking a bus should cost more because I just feel like spending less than $5k means the bus is probably faulty or damaged. But clearly it’s not the case..just blows my mind that you can spend $3500 for a gem when I spent about the same for my 84’ Ford Ranger lol.
Thanks for the info I’ll use it in my research
I just got a NICE bus for $1625.

Watch the non-ebay auctions.
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2018, 12:04 AM   #6
Bus Nut

School buses have a weird used market, because there are different groups of people that want them for different reasons.

There's a huge export market for school buses to South America and other countries. There are a lot of places where $10,000 for a used US-grade school bus is a bargain - even held together with duck tape and bailing wire. (I mean, we're looking at using them and re-purposing them again - so the idea can't be all that crazy.)

Selling a bus overseas requires an exporter - and these exporters buy in bulk. They're some of the ones who will clean out dealers, or seem to swoop in and clean out some of the auction sites. It doesn't matter if they get a lemon or two, they'll make enough profit selling and exporting.

On top of that, you have some bus dealers, who also buy in bulk, and often sell to these exporters. Some of them are really just flipping buses for a profit, others are actual honest dealers that do service, and actually care about the product they're selling.

That's one of the reasons you see crazy prices on a lot of buses - sellers hope that there's someone out there who will pay it. (And there's a chance that there is.)

A lot of it is just people asking waaaay too much for what they have, because they don't know what they have - that they have a slow bus with a not particularly desirable transmission, or that they have a bus with a brake system no one makes parts for anymore. It's the same thing as any used car seller- their often favorably biased towards what they have.
Mark_In_MA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2018, 07:53 AM   #7
Bus Geek

Year: 1997
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: TC2000 FE
Engine: Cummins 5.9
Rated Cap: 72
Where you buy your bus has a lot to do with how much you pay for it.

https://wanderlounge.net/how-much-sh...ould-i-buy-it/