Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-17-2009, 03:41 PM   #1
Skoolie

Year: 93
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: ?
Engine: 5.9 Cummins
Re: Why do you own the bus you have?

Order of importance

1. Driveline/body style equally important.(cummins/flatface non-negotiable)
2. Distance from Home
3. Price.
4. Timeline

I would have preferred a rear engine bus. They use them for away games here due to the storage.
I would have preferred a taller bus.
I would have preferred the the bigger cummins.

The price was reasonable. It was close to home. He had three to choose from. I had a pocket full of money. Most of my planets were aligned in an acceptable fashion so I jumped on it. Other dealers were quoting me $4500 plus for the same bus so I thought I was getting a reasonable deal. Flatfaces are not as common here as the dog face but that appears to be changing.

swhite832 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2009, 03:57 PM   #2
Skoolie

I wanted a decent bus that was cheap and dependable. Didn't have any specific body-style in mind, though I was looking for a flat-nosed preferably with the engine up front. Ended up with a bookmobile. Spent more than I was planning on, but I knew I made up a lot of the difference due to the decreased amount of work it'd need (already had a generator, wired for electric, nice tall roof I wouldn't have to raise, etc.).

It was also halfway between our house and where our family lives, so we just drove to pick it up, and kept going to my wife's parents' house to paint it up (if you saw the paint job it had, you'd understand why that was the FIRST thing we had to do).
josetann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2009, 06:12 PM   #3
Bus Nut

Year: 1992
Chassis: Ford B700
Engine: 5.9L Cummins
Rated Cap: 65

I didnt want a 7.3l or 8.2, any inline 6 but preferred the Cummins. Wanted a flat front, front engine (TC2000) but they are few and far between in Florida. No handicap door was an absolute must. Thomas body with high roof. No Fords, they are ugly. Tinted windows, black frames. Good virgin tires. Something around $1500
Ended up with a conventional Ford, low roof, silver untinted windows, recaps on the rear, $2500. Kept getting my butt kicked at auctions from various foreigners and dealers so I did what I had to do. Got the Cummins though!
kamoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2009, 06:52 PM   #4
Bus Nut

Year: 1995
Coachwork: Genesis
Engine: Detroit
Rated Cap: 14

I had a moment of weakness. Had I waited two days, I could have bought the bus I wanted. But things in my mundane life were slipping through my fingers, so in misguided desperation I grabbed hold of something that was available - and am determined to make it WORK DAMNIT.

<shrug>

We'll see what happens.
TygerCub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2009, 07:18 PM   #5
Bus Crazy

Year: 1965
Coachwork: thomas
Chassis: chevy
Engine: 350

i bought mine because it was love at first sitehttp://&#91;img]http://www.skoolie.net/a....jpg&#91;/img]
timbuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2009, 08:33 PM   #6
Bus Nut

You had a specific body style or driveline in mind?
It was close to home?
Price?
Other/ (feel free to explain)

Yes to all of the above...

* I knew from the start I wanted a diesel pusher, and was ONLY looking at Thomas...
* I did look out of state, but the bottom line included bringing it home, the closer the better...
* Price was paramount, I spent months looking for the right bus...
* Condition also played a huge a roll. I looked out of state at a couple with raised roofs, but they were from the snow belt and showed signs of huge rust problems. I had also looked at other busses with various engines under the hood, but knew the Caterpillar would outlast the others, Cummins would have been a 2nd choice...

You just might be a Redneck if...
...your motor home used to be a school bus!
...Your living room has a steering wheel!
...Your home has brake lights

1994 Jeep Grand Cherokee
1989 Thomas Diesel Pusher (Cat 3208/Freightliner)
Chesapeake, Virginia
GoneCamping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2009, 09:35 PM   #7
Almost There

Year: 1988
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: Chevrolet
Engine: 8.2L Detroit Diesel
Rated Cap: 54

I wasn't partial to any manufacturer or body style. I just wanted a diesel with under 200k miles, around $1500. I found my '88 Chevy with an 8.2L Detroit about an hour away. It was listed at $1800, but I was able to get it for $1400. I don't regret a thing. It's been a damn good, reliable, solid bus for the two years that I have owned it.

-Adam
arfisher83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2009, 10:22 PM   #8
Bus Crazy

Year: 1965
Coachwork: thomas
Chassis: chevy
Engine: 350

http://&#91;img]http://www.skoolie.net/a... for the love!
timbuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2009, 12:56 AM   #9
Bus Geek

Send a message via MSN to the_experience03 Send a message via Yahoo to the_experience03

I got mine because of availability and price. When I saw it I knew I would own it though I forced myself to step away for a day and go back. I originally thought I wanted a gas bus (preferably with GM throttle body injection) for the same reasons everyone else has listed. The parts are out there and they're easy to work on. I also thought I wanted a 5 speed. I knew I wanted a conventional bus for the sake of working on it even if it is a less "clean" look and costs you floorspace and maneuverability. I liked the idea of air brakes at the time, but was unfamiliar with them.

I ended up with a diesel engine which I'm not sorry about. I haven't had to do anything to this fine machine. Gassers being easier to work on is a moot point if you don't have to work on the diesels. I'm also glad I got the automatic. This enables me to allow other people to drive it. Sure, I have lots of friends that could handle a real truck transmission, but I have even more that, though capable of driving a stick, would probably best not be distracted by that. As I learned about air brakes I learned to like them. My only complaint about my current bus is that it's too small. Someday I will own a 60 foot articulating bus a la MacGuyver on the board.
Old 08-18-2009, 10:23 AM   #10
Bus Nut

Year: 1991
Coachwork: ward
Chassis: IH
Engine: dt466
Rated Cap: 72

Quote:
Originally Posted by swhite832
Order of importance

1. Driveline/body style equally important.(cummins/flatface non-negotiable)
2. Distance from Home
3. Price.
4. Timeline

I would have preferred a rear engine bus. They use them for away games here due to the storage.
I would have preferred a taller bus.
I would have preferred the the bigger cummins.

The price was reasonable. It was close to home. He had three to choose from. I had a pocket full of money. Most of my planets were aligned in an acceptable fashion so I jumped on it. Other dealers were quoting me $4500 plus for the same bus so I thought I was getting a reasonable deal. Flatfaces are not as common here as the dog face but that appears to be changing.
1. I wanted a specific engine/trans combo Pre-electronic diesel dt466 w/Allison MT643 lock up trans. wanted a front engine for ease of seviceability and major work if needed.
2. 2 miles from home, local school district bus and I talked with the mechanic that serviced it for the previous 12 years.
3. Price seemed in line (for me anyway)
4. Timeline? I seen it, had a wild hair, and just had to have it.
5. If SHTF, and I needed to "bug out" it (with a trailer) will take all we need and get us to the "BOL"
6. It will keep my neighbors with that funny look on thier faces. (those havn't gone away since we moved in)
Old 08-18-2009, 10:48 AM   #11
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1988
Chassis: GMC
Engine: 8.2 liter Detroit Diesel
Rated Cap: 66

Originally, we did not want a school bus. Period. We wanted an old interstate bus ---- MCI9 to be exact. But circumstances just never presented to us in the right order at the right time. We either had some money but they were going for WAY too much or we would find a killer deal and our pockets would be EMPTY!

The only ONE thing we definitely wanted in a bus - of any kind - was a diesel engine. We would have preferred automatic.

Jim just happened to see our bus sitting in someone's yard "FOR SALE". On a whim, he stopped to look at it. The guy had $1000 that he wanted for it, but dropped it to $750 because he just wanted it out of his yard. It was a local school bus with all the maintenance records. The tires were good. The engine started right up and purred like a kitten. It was retired from the school route just a few years ago and had been used as a church bus since. There was no rust to speak of. It was clean and solid. The man let Jim drive it and we both kind of just said, "Ok. Sold."

1. It is a diesel.

2. The price was amazing and just hard to pass up. Even if we didn't decide to convert it, we probably could have held on to it for a while to resell and made a profit.

3. The fact that it was just a mere 20 minute drive from our house was a MAJOR plus.

4. We have been wanting to convert a bus and travel - desperately - for almost 3 years now. We were finally to the point of saying to ourselves, "Sh!T or get off the pot!"

That is how we became the new owners of Resurrection Fern.

Blog: https://resurrection-fern.blogspot.com/
YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/user/ResurrectionFernBus
Gallery: https://www.skoolie.net/gallery/v/Sko...rrection-fern/
fernmistress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2009, 08:09 PM   #12
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1995
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: Spartan (I think)
Engine: Cummins BT-6
Rated Cap: 72

Well, let's see if we can simplify this equation. We were looking for a larger vehicle because when us and the five dogs loaded up in the Toyota 4Runner, it was beginning to be a tight fit. We decided that a box van or something similar might work well, with some reservations (had to be diesel, had to have A/C, you get the idea). Then I thought back to a 1964 Silver Eagle Coach I had converted in 1985 to a half motor home/ half mobile office for my engineering business. I loved that old bus, but it went along with my business and other items in my divorce. So, how about another bus? And the search was on! We decided that of the available buses, a diesel school bus made the most sense for us, the dogs, and our guitars, keyboards, etc. I actually wanted a manual transmission, mechanical injection pump, the KISS principle. But after much searching, we settled on the low-mileage, automatic transmission Carpenter that we proudly own today. It has worked for a couple of years as a gypsy hauler of various materials and occupants, but now we are getting serious with the conversion. I hope to have all major components done by Christmas, but we'll see. And that, my friends, is the epic saga of choosing our bus. Ta-Da!!!
Old 08-18-2009, 10:17 PM   #13
Bus Nut

Year: 1989
Coachwork: Thomas Transit Liner
Chassis: Freightliner
Engine: CAT 3208 Turbo

I'd say we fit all the catagories also...

We had been shopping & looking at various different vehicles to haul our stuff as we are about to move 2000 miles to NM & I refused to rent a truck! After checking out step vans & box trucks I decided to check out buses. The main uses for our bus are to move us to New Mexico & to setup the bus as an office for our business which will store our inventory & give me room for the computer, a workbench, my roller tool chest, my toys & a photo studio (we mostly do ebay in our home-based business).

After extensive research but only for a couple/few months I decided I had to have a diesel pusher flat-front bus as I liked how well they maneuver compared to a conventional & I have always liked the look of the flat-front buses. In my search for the perfect bus I used Florida Buses, Averys (in Avon Park) & numerous other outlets to see what I could get but prices were too high for condition & ages I was seeing. We were even considering an 800 mile drive for a AmTran but then it happened...

On ebay of all places I saw Buster. Not only was he the perfect size for us he was also a smooth body with really, really shiney paint & transit windows (I didn't even know what they were at the time) along with a Cat Turbo Diesel engine, Alcoa aluminum wheels, low profile, air ride (drives like a CATillac), air seat, AC (since removed), tinted windows, & some cool funky seats, but not many of them - another bonus!

We watched the auction end with the reserve met & the buy it now was $5000. That was way to high in my opinion & they put it back up for auction. ell I messaged them & they said they would sell it for $3500, no less. Perfect I thought, & in our price range! PLUS it was in Tampa, about 75 miles away!
The drive home was a treat with the towing & 6.5 hours in the middle of a 4 lane road & all but it led to us meeting a great group of mechanics & getting our bus completely serviced. So all in all we have about $4800 into it...

We are very happy with our purchase & I hope I feel that way after the maiden voyage from Sebring FL to Datil NM!

We will convert in the future but for now our bus is perfect!
ezbme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2009, 11:34 AM   #14
Skoolie

Year: 93
Chassis: ?
Engine: 5.9 Cummins

its hard to argue free....and those who can make the bus rock while on the rack should have their names written under the bus as a shrine to a deed weel done.
swhite832 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2009, 11:18 PM   #15
Skoolie

Year: 85
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: Ford
Engine: Gas
Rated Cap: 66

well i basically live on the road about 8 months out of the year. i run a non-profit called Bike For The Light. I bicycle across the country and speak to teens about reaching out and making a difference in the world, whether through missions projects or humanitarian efforts. Also speak at a lot of schools to get teens excited to make a difference in their community. In the last cross country tour me and my driver lived for 8 months in a 19' toyota rv. just way too small so i decided to get something bigger. i hate the idea of a big posh rv. just not my style. i saw one of you guys' videos on youtube of your conversion and was sold. i knew its what i was supposed to do.

since we are a non-profit, i dont have much money. so my bus was donated to us. the reason i have my bus is because someone believed in what i am doing and they helped out. its awesome that the bus they donated was exactly the size i wanted. i know everyone wants diesels but, i wanted gas and a ford engine. i used to have a van with a very similar engine and know how to work on it, so this bus is perfect. started taking seats out today. finish that on monday. cant wait to start putting stuff in it. love this site too. wealth of knowledge. thanks for help already. skoolies rule.
Old 08-30-2009, 07:13 AM   #16
Bus Nut

Year: 1989
Coachwork: Thomas Transit Liner
Chassis: Freightliner
Engine: CAT 3208 Turbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikeforthelight
well i basically live on the road about 8 months out of the year. i run a non-profit called Bike For The Light. I bicycle across the country and speak to teens about reaching out and making a difference in the world, whether through missions projects or humanitarian efforts. Also speak at a lot of schools to get teens excited to make a difference in their community. In the last cross country tour me and my driver lived for 8 months in a 19' toyota rv. just way too small so i decided to get something bigger. i hate the idea of a big posh rv. just not my style. i saw one of you guys' videos on youtube of your conversion and was sold. i knew its what i was supposed to do.

since we are a non-profit, i dont have much money. so my bus was donated to us. the reason i have my bus is because someone believed in what i am doing and they helped out. its awesome that the bus they donated was exactly the size i wanted. i know everyone wants diesels but, i wanted gas and a ford engine. i used to have a van with a very similar engine and know how to work on it, so this bus is perfect. started taking seats out today. finish that on monday. cant wait to start putting stuff in it. love this site too. wealth of knowledge. thanks for help already. skoolies rule.
Welcome to skoolie! Have you started a conversion thread on your build? If not you should as all of us LOOVE photos & to see what your up to on your build! Sounds like a great cause & keep up the good work!
Jonathan
ezbme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2009, 11:43 AM   #17
Ob1
Skoolie

Year: 1963
Coachwork: Grumman
Chassis: Chevrolet
Engine: Chevy 292 I-6

I am very involved with offroad motorcycling, boardmember of my club, we put on an enduro, junior enduro and charity dual sport every year.

In '95 I began carrying my daughter around the southeast to race in junior enduros. Sometimes a day trip, sometimes pulled the pop-up camper, sometimes just slept in the vehicle. Had a great time doing it over the years, but always dreamed of doing it with a bit more comfort...

I always dreamed of a bread truck, fairly low floor height, roll-up door, carry the bike{s} inside until we got there then roll it out. With the bike and gear cleared out, fold down bunks and minimalist gear for camping.

Then one day, I saw it on craigslist.... a unique bread truck that had already been converted to an RV. All the bits that make an RV home already installed, and the rear bumper extended with a cycle chock on it! The more permanent RV status was good, it is a tight fit for four, but RV isnt the purpose of the trip, the destination is. I added another cycle carrier, a generator, a TV and dorm frig to replace the broken RV frig.

So far, I have taken a shakedown trip to GA for a charity woods trail ride, another to upstate SC for my clubs charity dual sport, and just back a few weeks ago from the 1400 mile round trip to Disney Ft Wilderness.

Still have a few improvements to add my signature to the list of previous owners...but next weekend I'm heading to the woods to ride and camp!
Ob1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2009, 12:59 AM   #18
Bus Nut

I told a friend that was at the auction i could not make it to, to buy me a bus if they go around 1500 $ canadian. 10 minutes later he called me and told me that he just bought the biggest bus on the lot for 1750$. that is how we ended up with the bus. Never seen it before, just on pictures, and werent really looking at something that big.
But we are happy we have it and are now finaly able to use it. Spend some time this summer traveling around. Its also nice to make a quick decision saturday afternoon to go camping and all you have to do grab some groceries, hopp in the bus and off you go. No long packing, finding camping gear, hooking up trailer filling water etc.
swinada is offline   Reply With Quote