Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-10-2012, 10:40 AM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

Why don't folks use two way radios anymore?

(I mean...two way radios)

Since a cell phone became standard fodder in ones pocket, we have begun to rely on the things totally.
Even communicating between vehicles, people make that call rather than use a two way radio.

It seems like people think of a toothless man with a telephone pole for a family tree the minute you say "CB" to them these days.
While I rarely participate in the garbage on channel 19, it is very handy to have it there. There are times when being able to ask another driver for info or how far ahead an accident is...etc, can help you out.

I carry a portable walkie talkie with a cig lighter plug on it. Even when I am going to be with another vehicle for an hour or two, I take the ten seconds to turn it on and plug it in for them. Not having to make a call...and having that intercom between vehicles, has been worth its weight in gold so many times.

The wonder of the simple CB these days is the lack of popularity. 40 legal channels to use and of those, you only lose out on 7 of them.
(35-40 are for sideband through a friendly agreement...19 for truckers and 9 is emergency)

I have programmed the remaining 33 frequencies into a high end scanning radio and for two years on the road everyday, I only heard someone talking three or four times. Other than that, there are always 33 silent channels available.

A very good quality sideband CB and antenna can be had for under 250.00.

A decent one for highway use can easily be had for under 100.00.

The walkie talkie I use to loan another car traveling with me is under 100 dollars with the cig lighter plug.
Is it just the stigma of the "10-4 good buddy" mentality?? (People no longer talk like that BTW)
Or have the cell phone companies convinced everyone that there is no place for two way anymore?

caseythenose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 10:45 AM   #2
Bus Geek

Re: Why don't folks use two way radios anymore?

We still use CB and two ways are the only way to spot a vehicle on the trail..and they work great when backing in campers and buses(helps keep folks out of the way)
bansil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 11:02 AM   #3
Bus Nut

I too........ Still use the CB. I have one in my truck and another in the motorhome. Wouldn't leave home without em.
Great for traffic jams..... While I don't listen to all the garabage on channel 19, or any other for that matter I do turn it on for and occicasional radio check, and use to to find out which lanes are open in case of an acccident or which way to go if we need to bypass something. Hopefully we're never need it for any major communications if so we are screwed.
Old 10-10-2012, 11:45 AM   #4
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreyEagle
Hopefully we're never need it for any major communications if so we are screwed.
I shudder to think what would happen if the cell network...or a good portion of the internet...went down.

If anyone would like to read or listen to a good audio book about what would happen...

"One Second After" by William R. Forstchen
Old 10-10-2012, 02:12 PM   #5

Year: 1995
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: 3800
Engine: DT408, AT545
Rated Cap: 23 500 gvw

Get your ham ticket. Then you can really do some talking and get some range. I don't have a working cb but will get one soon to add to the collection of radios. I have 2m, 1.25m, 70cm and 900mhz covered. Down the road, I will pick up a HF radio.

You Gotta Let Me Fly
crazycal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 02:31 PM   #6
Bus Geek

Year: 1986
Coachwork: BlueBird
Chassis: 40 ft All American FE
Engine: 8.2LTA Fuel Pincher DD V8
Rated Cap: 89

We still use the CB. The one in the bus (only one we got) has an emergency weather channel as well. We use CB's to keep track of traffic. I've not heard all that much bad language. But then maybe I went to a rougher school than many folks. Coming out west, we had two CB's with 3 vehicles, so we used the cellphones. There were lots of "dead spots" in our trip. It was enlightening. I want a CB to put in the jeep before we start traveling again.

BTW, I remember when you used to need a license to use the CB. My Dad had one... KFN-9962. Geez, the things you remember. I have a hard time remembering my wedding anniversary!
https://lorndavi.wordpress.com/blog/
https://i570.photobucket.com/albums/s...ps0340a6ff.jpg
lornaschinske is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 03:34 PM   #7
Almost There

Year: 1998
Coachwork: Crown
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466 / AT545
Rated Cap: 71

I too use the CB for traffic and yes I remember my Dads License # KBI-958 we were on the Radio React team out in Payson Arizona when there were only 2500 people there Now I here its ten times that many. Awww the Good old days.... So keep the hammer down and the sunny side up don't let the smokey bear bite ya on the flip side Out.

https://s1253.beta.photobucket.com/us...k1961/library/
kimberlink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 04:19 PM   #8
Bus Geek

I got mine in 1978 in AZ KBOC-3552 "The Roadrunner" I was young then
bansil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 07:40 PM   #9
Bus Nut

Year: 1992
Coachwork: BlueBird
Chassis: All American RE
Engine: 8.3 Cummins
Rated Cap: 72

I had a short couple year stint driving trucks cross country about 7-8 years ago. That was my first experience with the CB radio. It was quite handy for learning about the cause of the traffic jams and at what mile marker the next "bear" was hiding.

I plan to wire up my Cobra CB in the bus for the exact same reason.

Of course now that I'm paying for the fuel.... I'm not so worried about Smokey.
syke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 09:44 PM   #10
Mini-Skoolie

Rest assured that when I get a bus and convert it, it will have a quality Cobra CB radio. They are useful for the reasons mentioned above: traffic jams, speed traps, supplemental communication if you're traveling with a party, etc. I especially like the thought of using it as a two way radio if you're backing the bus and hooking it to a trailer. The spotter could have a hand held CB, you could both tune to a certain channel, and spot away.

I am currently a licensed Technician class ham radio operator, and I also will put a ham radio in the bus. Eventually I will upgrade all the way to Extra.
stonestatue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 11:54 PM   #11
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazycal
Get your ham ticket. Then you can really do some talking and get some range. I don't have a working cb but will get one soon to add to the collection of radios. I have 2m, 1.25m, 70cm and 900mhz covered. Down the road, I will pick up a HF radio.
I have been enjoying my ham ticket for 22 years now. It is a great and useful hobby!
When you lose cell phones, the repeaters will often go away also. If you are a tech, you know you have privileges on 10 meters already, right?
Old 10-10-2012, 11:56 PM   #12
Mini-Skoolie

Oh yeah, this goes back 40 years or so...

KIF-3078

LOL, yes, it is funny what sticks in your head!

I still have the license somewhere!
Old 10-11-2012, 10:01 AM   #13

Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: 3800
Engine: DT408, AT545
Rated Cap: 23 500 gvw

Most of the repeaters have been hardened in California. Many went down during large earthquakes from racks shifting, wires unplugging, power outages, etc. My club's repeaters are strapped down and have battery backup. Can't remember if there are any solar panels.

Even though I have a general class, I have not been on HF at all. The club has plenty of radios in the radio room. Maybe later when I have more time.

You Gotta Let Me Fly
crazycal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 12:56 AM   #14
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1993
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: TC2000
Engine: Cummins 6BTA 5.9
Rated Cap: 78

Extra ham operator here, and when I travel I usually take along CB as well as 2M and HF. I've found that in some areas (southeast Utah for example) I can drive all day without hearing anyone on CB and 2M, but there is always someone on 20 (40 at night).
PossumLiving is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 07:48 AM   #15
Bus Nut

Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: TC2000
Engine: 5.9 Cummins 12v
Rated Cap: 78 Passenger

I'm a Tech as well, though not active much at all. I do participate with my dad in field day each year.

I remember before cellphones, my parents always had ham radios in their cars, and could call each other and ask them to pick something up from the store or whatever. Seemed like a heck of an advantage back then... now it is just normal with everyone on cells.

"What's the matter Col Sanders? Chicken?" -Dark Helmet

lu·di·crous [loo-di-kruhs]
adjective
causing laughter because of absurdity; provoking or deserving derision; ridiculous; laughable

viewtopic.php?f=9&t=11840
TheRainbowBoxer is offline   Reply With Quote