Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-01-2010, 10:29 PM   #1
Almost There

will this work for my battery bank?

I quickly drew up this schematic. My plan is to have a 3 or 4 battery bank inside the bus a 2000w inverter and the various switches shown. When parked, all of the switches would be open except the switch from the battery bank to the inverter. to charge the bank the switch from the bus alternator to battery bank is closed. when the bus is running the switches are all open except the switch between chassis batteries and inverter. would this work? do I need any fuses or breakers?
Attached Thumbnails
bus batteries.jpg  

thechandler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2010, 09:30 AM   #2
Bus Nut

Year: 1991
Coachwork: ward
Chassis: IH
Engine: dt466
Rated Cap: 72
Re: will this work for my battery bank?

There's no reason to have any wires from you engine staring batteries to your inverter. Run the + and - from you battery bank to the inverter. I would recommend a 50 amp breaker/fuse as close to the + on the battery bank as possible.
You can run a charge wire from your alternator to your battery bank to have everything charging while the engine is running, but I think you'll find you will have to use a regular charger to keep the bank charged after a heavy load day. A 3 phase charger is the best. I would try to keep the starting batteries seperate from your house batteries. It would suck to find you can't leave after a day of tailgating.
It depends on what you plan to run on the 110v side of your inverter, on weather you need to add breakers or not. Are you going to hard wire some outlets? If so, maybe one or two 15A breakers. So do a seach here. there's lots of info on this, from people a lot smarter than I on the subject.
Old 12-02-2010, 11:48 AM   #3
Almost There

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjespers
Here's my setup. My 2000w inverter/charger is connected to the house batteries. Some folks use a switch rather than an isolator.
this may be a stupid question, but did I see your skoolie in a stop and shop parking lot in Connecticut a while ago, possibly old saybrook or westbrook. Dont call me crazy if it wasnt you haha.

as for your battery bank, does your alternator do a good job of re-charging your house batteries and how many batteries do your have?

I plan on having maybe 2 outlets and using a flat screen tv, dvd player, george foreman grill, and cell and laptop chargers.
Old 12-05-2010, 08:30 PM   #4
Bus Crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjespers
Here's my setup. My 2000w inverter/charger is connected to the house batteries. Some folks use a switch rather than an isolator.
With the set-up in this drawing, you are only half protected. The isolator (back-to-back one-way valves) is preventing the house battery from powering the starter. But the starter battery is not protected. If the house battery discharges below the starter battery by the turn-on voltage of the isolator (less than a volt), the power from the starter battery will take the same route through the isolator as power from the alternator would. The starter battery would discharge into the house battery until its voltage less the isolator loss becomes equal to the house battery. It is possible to run both banks down to the point where the bus will not start.

I'm not sure what you mean by the alternator not having enough power with the correct isolator wiring. If the alternator has an internal regulator, and you cannot wire a voltage sense wire to the starter side of the isolator to compensate, it is possible that the slight voltage loss through the isolator is enough to prevent the batteries to charge to 100%.

The other possibility is part of normal isolator operation. If the batteries are grossly unequal, the weaker battery gets ALL the alternator output until the voltages equalize, either charging up the weak one or discharging the strong one until reaching the same voltage. If you have run down the house battery when camping, driving home and observing the bus running off of the starter battery without alternator assist while the house battery recharges could be scary if you don't know what is happening.

It would usually be better to use a battery join switch than only half an isolator. The set-up in the drawing may work for you, with good batteries and conservative power usage, but copying it may get someone else stranded in the boonies.
Someone said "Making good decisions comes from experience, experience comes from bad decisions." I say there are three kinds of people: those who learn from their mistakes, those who learn from the mistakes of others, and those who never learn.
Redbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2010, 11:33 PM   #5
Almost There

http://www.mcmaster.com/#orders/=a0vkyb

Check out the switch at the bottom of the page, Im getting 2 of them
Old 12-06-2010, 01:19 AM   #6
Bus Nut

Year: 1993
Coachwork: Genesis
Chassis: International
Engine: DTA360
Rated Cap: 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by thechandler

Can't view anything unless you sign up...
dirtygoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2010, 10:05 AM   #7
Almost There

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtygoat
Quote:

excuse my stupidity, what do you mean sign up?
Old 12-06-2010, 02:22 PM   #8
Bus Nut

Year: 1993
Coachwork: Genesis
Chassis: International
Engine: DTA360
Rated Cap: 16

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtygoat
Quote:

excuse my stupidity, what do you mean sign up?

I doesn't show me any product or pricing... Just an option to log in or create an account...
dirtygoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2010, 09:22 PM   #9
Almost There

http://www.mcmaster.com/#battery-switches/=a1ceg5