Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-27-2015, 08:32 AM   #1
Bus Nut

Year: 1982
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: International S1800
Engine: DT466 Trans: MT643
Rated Cap: 65
Will Tiling My Shower Stall Be a Bad Idea?

The title says it all. Currently planning on tiling my shower stall and floor. Didnt like the pre-fab stuff out there. Planning on using river stones for the floor and tiles for the walls.
Im worried about cracking/damage due to slight flexing of the bus. Does anyone have any real world experience on this? Ive seen it done but want to know how it holds up.
Are smaller tiles better than big ones? I would feel like they are.

Instragram: @lookatthatbus
charles_m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2015, 06:20 PM   #2
Bus Crazy

Year: 1997
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: B3800 Short bus
Engine: T444E
Rated Cap: 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by charles_m View Post
The title says it all. Currently planning on tiling my shower stall and floor. Didnt like the pre-fab stuff out there. Planning on using river stones for the floor and tiles for the walls.
Im worried about cracking/damage due to slight flexing of the bus. Does anyone have any real world experience on this? Ive seen it done but want to know how it holds up.
Are smaller tiles better than big ones? I would feel like they are.

I'll be doing the floor of my shower with the largest tiles I can, but the sides are already done with FRP. I expect that tiles will eventually pop out from the walls since tiles don't like flex. If tiles come loose from the floor I'm less concerned (though I'll still be pissy ).
Old 03-27-2015, 06:52 PM   #3
Bus Geek

Year: 1992
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: TC2000 FE
Engine: 190hp 5.9 Cummins
Rated Cap: 72
This fully depends on your sub strait that you will be bonding your tiles to.

I would not recommend using any riverstones due to how difficult it will be to get a good bond.

http://www.schluter.com/kerdi-board.aspx

This would be a good sub strait for real tile. It may work with river stone. Best part is the light weight. It is just rigid high density Styrofoam with fiberglass cloth on both sides for bonding and strength.

Back cutting the real river stone on the backside with a diamond wheel in a 4 inch angle grinder will increase the bonding strength. This will also give you a chance to keep the height of the stones consistent.

Nat

Patently waiting for the apocalypses to level the playing field in this physiological game of life commonly known as Civilization
nat_ster is offline   Reply With Quote