Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-21-2012, 12:05 PM   #1
Bus Nut

Year: 2001
Chassis: International Amtran RE
Engine: DT466E/MD3060
Rated Cap: 78
Window choice pros and cons

Hey peeps

Im about to start work on putting my windows in the bus. I am planning on using slider windows that you normally put in a home. I have put a thread in here before and the discussion of window breakage from accident was brought up and I agree it will be an issue. One way I will combat flying glass is to tint the windows. I am not a fan of windows period but I know I will need some ventilation in there for times we wont be running the air conditioner.

I am planning on using a 24x24 window and 3 of them per side. The length isnt so much of an issue cause I have all the welder to cut the old window dividers out and weld sqaure tubing in to make the structure solid and give me something to screw the window in to. Let me know what you think. Here is a link to what I am looking at.....http://www.homedepot.com/Doors-Windo...&storeId=10051

Yes the windows are on the cheaper sider. I am not planning on winter camping or full timing. Just the weekend get away, tailgating, haul people around kind of things.

My windows are already taken out and it is skinned with sheet metal but not very well. I figured I need to put the windows in before I start to insulate the sides of the bus. Not sure if I am going to have it spray foamed or fill it with polyiso. Again feel free to lets suggestions and or comments on this topic as well. I will post some pics of what I am working with so everyone can have a pretty good idea.

Never put windows in a bus or car or any other vehicle so if you have tips or clue to avoid. Let me know

Ty in advance.

Bapos

bapos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2012, 04:39 PM   #2
Bus Crazy

Year: 1973
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: All American
Engine: CAT 1160 V-8 Diesel
Rated Cap: 72
Re: Window choice pros and cons

You might be better off looking for a non running motor home or scrapped trailer and buying the windows out of them for cheap.
Old 07-21-2012, 04:50 PM   #3
Bus Nut

I have some that were with the bus but they are all odd sizes and want it to look uniform on each side. I am not so worried about the cost. I planned on about 75 to 100 for them. I think they will be easier to put in than a rv style window.
Old 07-21-2012, 05:35 PM   #4
Bus Nut

It's not the window........... It's the glass, the glass in the home style windows will break just driving down the road.......
You are wasting you time and money installing those in your bus.......

just my 2 cents
Old 07-21-2012, 05:41 PM   #5
Bus Nut

Any windows that are worth a crap? All the RV and motor home windows I have seen are paper thing and dont look like they would hold heat or cold out worth a crap?
Old 07-21-2012, 07:49 PM   #6
Bus Geek

Year: 1986
Coachwork: BlueBird
Chassis: 40 ft All American FE
Engine: 8.2LTA Fuel Pincher DD V8
Rated Cap: 89

You can buy windows with tempered glass.

JELD-WEN Horizontal Sliding Vinyl Window 24 in. x 24 in. White with LowE Tempered Glass and Screen $115 This is frosted privacy glass. Does it matter? The store I work at has them in stock. Write the SKU down and look for them. If you ask a store employee with a hand held "phone" just give them the SKU (527 112) and they can tell you the aisle & bay it is in. Otherwise, you can stop at the Millworks desk (Doors & Windows) and ask about special orders.
https://lorndavi.wordpress.com/blog/
https://i570.photobucket.com/albums/s...ps0340a6ff.jpg
lornaschinske is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012, 08:35 AM   #7
Bus Nut

lornaschinske

I looked at those and thought I wouldnt like to frosting on the windows but the more I think about it I kind of do. Keeps prying eyes from looking in and as it says a better temperature control.

I Need to run to HD today i will see if they have them there and take a look at them.
Old 07-22-2012, 09:48 AM   #8
Bus Geek

I have noticed I really don't "look out my windows" a whole lot. Then again it may have something to do with the view (Out door side is another RV & a nice view of the intersection & road.... on drivers side is three RV spaces with 1 RV currently in it). I have been thinking of either covering mine (original windows) with "rice paper" film or just bubble wrap the lower half and, come winter, bubble wrap the top half. I have mini blinds on the front Living Area windows (to see if I like them) and we tend to keep them tilted pretty good to keep the sun out yet let the breeze in. We don't have a good view to admire. In the campgrounds we tend to stay in, the "view" had tended to be the side of the RV next to us. More than once I have been looking directly into the neighbouring bathroom. Some people NEVER close their curtains! The more I think about what I want, the more privacy I want. I had thought about etching a frost on the window glass while we had them tore apart. Now I regret not doing it. I fell into the trap of "but you can't look out at the view" thinking. I don't WANT to look at the view. It's often scary! As it is the only "privacy " glass in the whole bus is in the shower area (standard double glue chip). Maybe I will paint it with that frosted glass paint... Especially the water closet window.
Old 07-22-2012, 09:52 AM   #9
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by bapos
Any windows that are worth a crap? All the RV and motor home windows I have seen are paper thing and dont look like they would hold heat or cold out worth a crap?

You need to get the double pane windows.........
Old 07-22-2012, 09:56 AM   #10
Bus Nut

GreyEagle

Do you have a link or store you would be willing to point me to. I will entertain all options
Old 07-22-2012, 10:23 AM   #11
Bus Crazy

the double pane windows are best. and some glass shops can make them up to fit your rv window frames...
found that out last month.
Old 07-22-2012, 10:29 AM   #12
Bus Nut

I saw an ad on criagslist that a window maker will custom make windows but I am afraid the price will be WAY out of my price range.

As said I HATE windows and I would love for the bus to not have any but I know with out a doubt that we will take it out and use it on days where its too hot to not have some open ventilation. Hell I live in Texas we only have about 2.5 seasons a year most of them about 3 inches from satans furnace.

I would like to see clearly outside at time but you can have things the way you want when you want for the moment.

All good info here keep it coming.
Old 07-22-2012, 06:03 PM   #13
Bus Nut

Stopped off at my HD today and they do not carry any jeldwen windows. All of them have to be special ordered. The only carry one slider instock and its a builder grade window. So I will keep my look going
Old 07-23-2012, 02:11 PM   #14
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by lornaschinske
...Maybe I will paint it with that frosted glass paint... Especially the water closet window.
I couldn't find the "frosted Glass" paint. So I bought a can of Krylon Clear Matte Finish 1311 ("Permanent, protective matte finish.... Eliminates glossy sheen.... Non-yellowing.... Moisture resistant.... Dries in minutes") said it could be used on glass. Two coats makes a lovely frosted glass look. Can't see in/can't see out. Lets a nice diffused light in. 1 can (under $4 at Super Wally World) did 4 skoolie windows. I gotta go buy two more cans! This stuff dries in about 2 minutes. Gotta check tonight to see if you can see in with lights on inside. I don't think you will be able to but gotta check anyway. My win ders are so purty! I did do a test on an extra sheet of glass. 2 coats, 3 coats & 4 coats. Not much difference between 2 & 4 coats so I went with 2 coats.

What I did....

> Wet glass down with white vinegar
> Scraped wet glass with a razor blade to clean any gunk off
> Cleaned window with white vinegar & paper towel
> Dried window well with a paper towel
> Taped off window making sure to protect vinyl gasket from paint
> Sprayed on 1 coat clear paint, let dry 2 minutes before recoating

I got a few runs (corners) in the first coat but you can't see them very well. Interesting. Also much cheaper than buying expensive rice paper window film.

Note: even if the glass is wet from inside (on the paint) you still cannot see in/out. Still looks the same.
Old 07-23-2012, 04:19 PM   #15
Bus Crazy

sandblasting also frosts glass...
makes nice pictures
or if you need to paint the window...
Old 07-23-2012, 08:54 PM   #16
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by chev49
sandblasting also frosts glass...
makes nice pictures
or if you need to paint the window...
But if I decide I don't want a "frosted window, a razor blade will scrape the paint right off! Not that I ever change my mind. Sandblasting is kinda permanent.

Finished up the rest of the bedroom windows & the rear emergency door glass. Including cleaning the glass and putting everything back up.... 30 minutes tops (I cleaned the outside of the emergency door glass while I was at it). The paint looks a lot like sandblasted/etched glass. Cool. Besides, think I could sandblast in the campground?
Old 07-23-2012, 09:55 PM   #17
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by lornaschinske
... Gotta check tonight to see if you can see in with lights on inside. I don't think you will be able to but gotta check anyway...
Checked... Can't see in even with the lights on. David says you can tell someone is in front of the windows but you can't tell if they are clothed or not.

So if someone wants a cheap way to "frost" any glass, you now have a technique you can use. If you decide you don't like it, just scrape it off with a razor blade. If you want a "pattern" then cover the glass with packaging tape, draw out the pattern you want, remove the tape in the places you want to be frosted and spray away. If you goof up or change your mind, just scrape off the paint and re do it.
Old 07-24-2012, 10:51 AM   #18
Bus Geek

View out the rear emergency door of the empty lot across the street. You can "see" a white truck on the right hand side (the "whiter" patch of white). Dark vehicles are a dark blur.

Side window. As you can see, the paint really "frosts the glass nicely. There's an RV under the trees. The frosted section also hides the traffic light at the intersection s well.
Old 07-24-2012, 10:53 AM   #19
Bus Crazy

i would sandbast in a campground... Eastwood makes mini sandbasters that look like a spray gun that recover their own sand...
but, i have changed engine bearings and so forth in a campground...
Old 07-24-2012, 11:53 AM   #20
Bus Crazy

Year: 2000
Coachwork: Eldorado Aerotech 24'
Chassis: Ford E-450 Cutaway Bus
Engine: 7.3L Powerstroke
Rated Cap: 19

Great idea Lorna! Painting the window will save me from having to hang a curtain in the shower area.