Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-09-2008, 06:37 PM   #1
Almost There

Year: 1988
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: Chevrolet
Engine: 8.2L Detroit Diesel
Rated Cap: 54
Window Condensation in Cold Weather

I've been working on the inside of my bus during the arctic Iowa winter, and thanks to my wood stove it maintains 70-75 degrees inside. However, I get a ton of condensation on the windows. I'm concerned about this moisture building up and rotting the trim around the windows. I was just wondering if anyone else has had this issue and what did you do about it? I know the original bus windows are single-pane uninsulated glass, so some condensation is expected. However, maybe there is a trick to reducing it. Any suggestions are welcome - other than replacing all the windows. Thank you.

Adam

arfisher83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2008, 07:23 PM   #2
Bus Crazy

Year: 1965
Coachwork: thomas
Chassis: chevy
Engine: 350
Re: Window Condensation in Cold Weather

you will always have that condensation in a single pane window in a warmer area do you leave a window open a bit? my wood window trims show some damage im sure the wood has been up 20 years but it aint rotten it looks like it had good quality coating on it like cetol coat it good or get a dehumidithingy timbuk
timbuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2008, 02:34 PM   #3
Bus Nut

Year: 1985
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: GMC
Engine: 366 propane
Rated Cap: 56

We have some folks living in our bus, and have been for the whole winter (here in bc, Canada) and it's relitivley cold. It's always below freezing. They had problems with condensation until I hooked up two 1500 watt heaters with fans (the little boxy looking ones). They keep it nice and warm inside all the time and that nearly eliminated condensation. The propane furnace was horrible though, as it steamed up the windows somthing fierce.

-Richard
captainkf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2008, 09:59 PM   #4
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by captainkf
We have some folks living in our bus, and have been for the whole winter (here in bc, Canada) and it's relitivley cold. It's always below freezing. They had problems with condensation until I hooked up two 1500 watt heaters with fans (the little boxy looking ones). They keep it nice and warm inside all the time and that nearly eliminated condensation. The propane furnace was horrible though, as it steamed up the windows somthing fierce.

-Richard

2 1500 watt heaters keep your bus warm? I had one in my bus and you couldn't even tell there was any heat on at all, that thing was worthless & it was probably 40 degrees F out. (4 Celsius)

I have a 30,000 BTU ventless propane heater, that I'm finally going to put to to a real test next weekend. I've had it on for about an hour at a time a few times while working in the bus and had condensation building up on most of the front windows pretty bad.

Whats the best way to deal with the moisture build up? Does cracking a window for fresh air help?
Old 02-16-2008, 12:08 AM   #5
Bus Crazy

Year: 1965
Coachwork: thomas
Chassis: chevy
Engine: 350

my travell trailer does the same thing condensates like crazy extra so if there is no vent open elec heat is the best if you can plug in but there will always be moisture with propane do not know about kerosene though......
timbuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2008, 03:21 PM   #6
Bus Nut

Year: 1985
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: GMC
Engine: 366 propane
Rated Cap: 56

Quote:
Originally Posted by phillbus914
Quote:
Originally Posted by captainkf

-Richard

2 1500 watt heaters keep your bus warm? I had one in my bus and you couldn't even tell there was any heat on at all, that thing was worthless & it was probably 40 degrees F out. (4 Celsius)

I have a 30,000 BTU ventless propane heater, that I'm finally going to put to to a real test next weekend. I've had it on for about an hour at a time a few times while working in the bus and had condensation building up on most of the front windows pretty bad.

Whats the best way to deal with the moisture build up? Does cracking a window for fresh air help?

Hmmm. My bus is insulated (not the ceiling though) so this may be part of the problem. Even when it was -15 degrees celcius the 2 heaters were set on 2/3rds (thermostat). They kept the bus as warm as my house. This is one of the heaters I use:

http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product. ... id=7768656

Have you considered getting a dehumidifier? Or you can use No-damp with uses no power:

http://www.monstermarketplace.com/Autom ... 12695.html

I have no experience with it, but some do love it.

Good luck.

-Richard
captainkf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2008, 05:57 PM   #7
Skoolie

My family and I used our bus for two weeks over the Christmas holidays. I don't think there was a night that was not below 25 degrees F. We had experienced window condensation when we were not so careful with are heating confinement. When everything was done right, we had curtains that hung from the ceiling by rare earth magnets, and had the heated area pretty well enclosed by the curtains. We also had the front and back closed from top to bottom by magnets and sheets. We use a three plaque radiant propane heater. It has thermostat. A big surprise to me is that we used about twenty-five pounds of propane. I had figured that we would have used three times that much. We kept a front and back window cracked because we don't completely trust the 99% efficiency of the heater.

I am pretty much with philbus on the electric heaters. It gets below forty degrees and you can't even tell that that its running.
Train-train is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2008, 12:34 AM   #8
Mini-Skoolie

All your ventless propane heaters pour a ton of condensation into the air. It is a byproduct of the combustion process.
letz4wheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2008, 05:34 AM   #9
Skoolie

Sure they do. The point is getting enough comfortable heat, trying to find ways to reduce the condensation and do it without costing you ton of money.
Train-train is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2008, 03:34 PM   #10
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Train-train
I am pretty much with philbus on the electric heaters. It gets below forty degrees and you can't even tell that that its running.
I guess it all depends on the insulation. As I have described in other threads, I heavily insulated my bus. We full time in it and have had some nights down as far as 10 degrees. We have two of the cheapest 1500 watt heaters Wal-Mart sells and were able to keep it above 70 degrees the whole time. And we have no condensation problem.

My intention in this post isn't to brag, but simply to emphasize the importance of ample insulation. Here is what i have:
  • Ceiling - 2" Rigid foam board insulation running lengthwise. Then 3/4" rigid foam board running crossways, inside of the ceiling framing I built. Then sheathed and panelled.[/*:m:2geos12k]
  • Walls - 3/4" R-Max with the foil side outward, placed horizontally. Interior to that I put 2" rigid foam boards placed vertically. Then my wall framing. Over the window areas that are covered, I also filled in the framing with 2" rigid foam. I used the canned spray foam to seal up the foam boards and to prevent squeeks from them shifting against each other. The walls are then sheathed with 7/16" OSB and then panelled.[/*:m:2geos12k]
  • Floor - Put in the framing on top of original floor. Then filled in with 1.5" of rigid foam board. 3/4" Home Advantage TIG subfloor (Home Advantage is a premium water resistant OSB subfloor material.) I haven't put in a finish floor yet, just throw rugs on top of the sublfooring.[/*:m:2geos12k]
BusNut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2008, 09:33 PM   #11
Skoolie

Coachwork: Amtran
Chassis: International

we also use two elec heaters..crappy little things...in the bus they worked hard to keep it warm enough to not need the heavy coats..in the cruddy trailer we are in they seldom both run due to insulation it has... the bus will get a higher roof for no other reason than adding some above me.. I already have plans to streamline the under carriage so thats not a problem.
Demonknight is offline   Reply With Quote