Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-11-2015, 11:32 AM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

Smile Window Options - Best Insulation - Replicate Look

Hey everyone! Just got my 2004 International 3800 Conventional 72 pax and im ready to get dirty!

I want to replace the windows with dual pane insulated, but im having a hard time figuring out what the best one to get is. I want to replicate the look of the old windows, so aluminum frames, double hung, other than that im super open minded. Just want to get THE BEST insulation possible because I want to make my bus a full-timer, 2-3" insulation all around and raise the roof 12" while doing the windows. Seems like residential windows should work just fine and are much more efficient than any RV model. Can anyone with experience give me any references for what windows to look at. My current windows are 27"x30" but im open to making them a little bigger since I plan on cutting the structure for the roof raise anyways.

Thank you thank you

Jeff

ozthemost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2015, 12:59 PM   #2
Mini-Skoolie

The best insulation is deleting as many windows as possible. Since you want to keep the school bus look, tint all windows and nobody could tell that you sealed shut most of them. Then have some matching custom high insulation rv windows made for the remaining functional windows. Most residential windows are dangerous in moving vehicles, but safety glass or polycarbonate storm windows should be okay.
Kutter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2015, 01:02 PM   #3
Bus Geek

Year: 1992
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: TC2000 FE
Engine: 190hp 5.9 Cummins
Rated Cap: 72
What's with people trying to keep the bus look?

Bus windows suck in every way. Best is to remove them all.

Nat

Patently waiting for the apocalypses to level the playing field in this physiological game of life commonly known as Civilization
nat_ster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2015, 02:28 PM   #4
Bus Crazy

Year: 2000
Coachwork: Bluebird
Engine: 5.9 Cummins
Rated Cap: 2 elderly children, 1 cat
We bought a bus FOR the windows.

Love 'em.
Old 11-11-2015, 07:00 PM   #5
Mini-Skoolie

I like the windows

If they weren't such a weak point in the insulation and in the way of my dream of running "silent" ie. no generator *almost* all the time, I would keep them just they way they are. They are beautiful and horribly inefficient. They need to be updated to 2015 energy standards.

Anyways, I need the Bees Knees when it comes to efficiency and in a similar dimension 27x30, as thin as possible. I can work the rest in terms of installing it, just would prefer to be around the 2" Frame depth, insulated, and double hung and with a good e-coating (low SHGC) .. having a hard time finding good options for a reasonable price. The custom RV window guys want like $300+...which i dont like.

Anyone found any good options that keep the "look" of the aluminum frame, double hung, but with all of the above

-----

I plan on putting up to 1300 Watts of solar and a 18kWhr battery bank. Mini-split DC A/C.... you know what im thinking
Old 11-12-2015, 01:40 PM   #6
Bus Nut

Year: 1982
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: International S1800
Engine: DT466 Trans: MT643
Rated Cap: 65
Thought I'd find you on here...
Instragram: @lookatthatbus
charles_m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2015, 01:59 PM   #7
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by charles_m View Post
Thought I'd find you on here...
Hahah looking for all the help i can get
Old 06-19-2020, 02:49 AM   #8
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by nat_ster View Post

Nat
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2kool4skool View Post

Love 'em.

I'm with 2kool4skool here, the windows, and the open feeling they create are a big part of what give skoolies their style and drew me to them in the first place. It gives them that classic look outside, and makes them feel more open and bright inside.

Functionally speaking I agree that skoolie windows suck in most ways.

wish there was a decent double paned replacement, that fit the same footprint and kept the same basic look.
dzl_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2020, 06:16 AM   #9
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
There are double pane bus windows. I know at least my drivers window was on my CO shorty.
https://www.schoolbusfleet.com/forum...TOPIC_ID=23636
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2020, 09:26 AM   #10
Bus Crazy

Year: 2002
Chassis: Freightliner FS-65
Engine: 7.2L Cat 3126 turbo diesel
Rated Cap: 71 passenger 30,000 gvwr
To my surprise -- the windows in the emergency doors I just acquired are double pane. They don't open and close though.

It would not be that hard to make your bus windows double pane. Or at least the upper panel. Bond a ¼" strip of wood trim to the perimeter of the frame and then use 3M heat shrink window cover for the low budget. Bond a plate of tempered glass to the wood if you're on a higher budget. The lower pane would could be treated the same way on the outside of the bus -- only glass would hold up there.
Get real fancy and toss in some desiccant packs so you don't have any fogging between the panes...

Otherwise it's replace the windows with better insulated windows...

Originally Posted by nat_ster View Post

Then why even start with a bus...?

The Murder Bus
banman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2020, 09:27 AM   #11
Bus Nut

Quote:
Same here. I love looking out over the view !

I always found RVs cramped and depressing. For me school buses always had that open feeling that you could enjoy where you are at.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EastCoastCB View Post
There are double pane bus windows. I know at least my drivers window was on my CO shorty.

4 of my front windows are double pane on my 84 CO bus. They all have broken seals so they all have fog and condensation in them. On a slow day I am going to take them apart clean them and reseal them.
ACamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2020, 09:44 AM   #12
Bus Crazy

Year: 2007
Chassis: Freightliner
Engine: C7 Cat
Quote:

Love 'em.
Agreed
keeping all the windows, love the visability when driving and will make sure all coverings at the front will be retractable for that reason. Can't imagine closing all that off and then some even changing out the doors so no glass there as well.
Oscar1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2020, 10:39 AM   #13
Mini-Skoolie

Bus Window Alternative

We decided to upgrade to insulated windows since we planned on using our bus in extreme conditions, under freezing, over 100 degrees. I found the best option to keep the "look" was form Motion Windows out of Washington. I think they were around $250 a pop so not cheap, but they are well made and dual pane and you can give them any dimension you want.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BupZyptAeok/
Old 06-19-2020, 10:55 AM   #14
Bus Crazy

Year: 2002
Chassis: Freightliner FS-65
Engine: 7.2L Cat 3126 turbo diesel
Rated Cap: 71 passenger 30,000 gvwr
Quote:
Originally Posted by ozthemost View Post
We decided to upgrade to insulated windows since we planned on using our bus in extreme conditions, under freezing, over 100 degrees. I found the best option to keep the "look" was form Motion Windows out of Washington. I think they were around $250 a pop so not cheap, but they are well made and dual pane and you can give them any dimension you want.

Wow! So you're talking $6000.00 worth of windows?
That's a high end build...

The Murder Bus
banman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2020, 01:47 PM   #15
Mini-Skoolie

I think it was about half that, we only have 12 windows now, did different dimensions and left some wall space for fridge and other stuff. If you check that link in my last post you can see. But yea this is expensive for sure either way.
Old 06-19-2020, 02:33 PM   #16
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozthemost View Post

I was just looking into motion windows, they seem promising, I didn't see any windows that looked like they would be a good drop in replacement for a skoolie, but it looks like you found some that work great.

I love the look, definitely kept the original skoolie vibe. Are the windows you went with designed for skoolies? fully custom? or made for RV's or something else?

How long have you had them in? What's your take on them so far?
dzl_ is offline   Reply With Quote