Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-16-2007, 08:48 AM   #1
Almost There

Window Screens

Has anyone ever attempted to make window screens for the buses? Would hate to open my windows to cool off and have a bus full of mosquitoes as I am trying to sleep...just wondering what approaches people have taken for these.

Old 08-17-2007, 02:04 PM   #2
Almost There

Year: 1981
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: International
Engine: 345
Rated Cap: 69
Re: Window Screens

I have found that I can take the window out and take apart the frame to reconfigure the window to open from the botom like a conventional home window. This makes it super easy to put a screen in the opening. I this out when I replaced a cracked window and wanted to have ventilation on the botom bunks.
Coma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2007, 02:17 PM   #3
Almost There

couldn't you flip them upside down to have them open from the bottom?
behappystupi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2007, 02:27 PM   #4
Almost There

Year: 1981
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: International
Engine: 345
Rated Cap: 69

No, because of weather stripping and mostly, in my style, the pitch of the framing.
Coma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2007, 01:58 AM   #5
Bus Nut

Don't flip your windows! They will leak in the rain, mine do at least.

I did this thinking it'd be a good idea for my bunks... So I could open the window in the bottom bunk. I drove a few hours in the rain and the windows leaked so much water that my mattress was soaked.

Now I have to put a bunch of towels on the mattress under the windows when I drive in the rain. I haven't noticed them leaking when the bus is sitting (parked) in the rain, probably because of the little overhangs above the windows.

I'd flip em back but I have to completely disassemble the bunk beds I made to do it.
Old 08-18-2007, 05:59 AM   #6
Almost There

Back to the screens, I ended up buying the material and making my own custom screens. Then using some pieces of left-over luann and some sheet metal screws and rubber washers, I am going to make brackets that screw to the window dividers that rotate. Since we cannot open the windows while the screens are in place, these are inside screens. So for about $30 I got 6 screens, for the 2 large rear windows and 4 that fit all the others that I can put wherever I want to.

Good to know to not try and flip them over, this is my "do-the-least-amount-of-bus-modification" bus. I am only adding to it, trying not to modify too much on my first go around. At least not right now, the purpose was to get this one camp-able ASAP. So about another day or 2 of work and it is ready for its first camping trip in September. Plus the hunting cabin bus need not have many features.

One other piece I want to build is a window insert with a couple of 12V PC fans. I saw the thread with the $12 ones at Wally World, but figure you can buy 6" PC cooling fans for a couple of bucks.

When I get a second bus then we will spend a lot more time cutting, hacking and chopping to make it more entertaining.
Old 08-18-2007, 04:56 PM   #7
Bus Geek

Send a message via MSN to the_experience03 Send a message via Yahoo to the_experience03

Jake VonSlatt used magnetic screens if I recall correctly. That is the technique I'm going to use when I finally get around to making screens. I won't make a full set, but enough that I can have a few windows open. When I'm going down the road I can just pull them off and put them in some storage area (perhaps I will get around to making some underbody storage too). This just seems like the easiest solution to me and I'm all about taking the easy way out.
Old 08-19-2007, 07:08 AM   #8
Almost There

That sounds like a cool idea. Unfortunately I already made the screens so they fit the aluminum part of the window frame so the magnetic tape may or may not work for me. But I will pick up a roll and try it out, sounds like a better idea that my rotating clamps.

Today I am off to pick up the last of the essential bus kit, duct tape and a power adapter that lets me plug to regular 110 outlets into the 30-amp service connector so I can test out the AC side of the electrical system.

The counter top and sink and water system got done yesterday except for the drain since I am having a difficult time finding the right sized drain for my sink, but I will prevail.
Old 08-19-2007, 08:53 PM   #9
Bus Nut

I made my own screens from material I bought at Lowes... I have a complete write-up on how to make them, including pictures posted HERE

Takes about 15 minutes per window to make them...

You just might be a Redneck if...
...your motor home used to be a school bus!
...Your living room has a steering wheel!
...Your home has brake lights

1994 Jeep Grand Cherokee
1989 Thomas Diesel Pusher (Cat 3208/Freightliner)
Chesapeake, Virginia
GoneCamping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2007, 11:49 AM   #10
Almost There

That is exactly what I did. Though I picked up my material at HD, probably all the same stuff.

I still need to spline 1 more of the bigger ones and cut my remaining material and make 1 more smaller one.
Old 08-20-2007, 12:14 PM   #11
Bus Geek

Send a message via MSN to the_experience03 Send a message via Yahoo to the_experience03

Those are very nice looking screens. I wish something in that style would work on my bus, but I just don't think it is possible. Do they hold up ok at highway speeds with those little zip screwed tabs or do you take them out?
Old 08-21-2007, 06:15 AM   #12
Almost There

I was planning to have them on the inside and take them down to open the window, I know it sounds like a pain in the a@@ but I certainly don't think they would hold up too well at highway speeds and I haven't been to too many campgrounds out here in the Northeast where I wouldn't scrape at least one tree branch getting into the site.
Old 08-22-2007, 05:57 AM   #13
Almost There

So it feels like a prison bus, not that I have been on one, not that there is anything wrong with that...
Old 08-22-2007, 08:55 PM   #14
Bus Nut

I haven't actually tried it at hwy speeds yet, but have no doubt they will hold. They are a very tight fit to start with, and those little tab thingies are screwed in tighly too. As such they do not come loose easily...almost gotta use plyers to turn them. If it does become a problem, I wouldn't hesitate to zip screw the frames right onto the alumin window frames!!

You just might be a Redneck if...
...your motor home used to be a school bus!
...Your living room has a steering wheel!
...Your home has brake lights

1994 Jeep Grand Cherokee
1989 Thomas Diesel Pusher (Cat 3208/Freightliner)
Chesapeake, Virginia
GoneCamping is offline   Reply With Quote