Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-08-2010, 09:03 PM   #1
Bus Nut

Year: 1976
Coachwork: bluebird
Chassis: F33695
Engine: 427 chevy converted to 466
Rated Cap: 84
Re: Window Screens for Bus

I bought running lengths of screen frame and of course screen material, aluminum not nylon, and frame corners for assembly. I made frames that fit tight between the vertical trim around the windows. I just used aluminum colored silicone to hold them in place (no screws) and have never had a problem with them coming out. You would have to cut them out to replace them. I only screened the upper/opening part of the window and not the lower and have had just a little trouble with little critters getting in, (there is a small gap along the lower edge) you let more in through the door most the time. I think it looks better than screening the whole window. I haven't looked at my pics in the gallery to see if the screens are visible but will after this note, take a look and see if you can spot them, they're almost invisible I think. sportyrick

sportyrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2010, 09:28 PM   #2
Skoolie

Year: 1975
Coachwork: Crown
Chassis: Supercoach
Engine: DD 6-71N

Hi Leonites,
I took 3/4 " velcro, glued it around the windows with construction adhesive, even odd shaped areas. When it dried I stuck the velcro to itself leaving it hanging off toward the inside just a little and put construction adhesive on it. Then stuck a rough cut piece of screen onto the adhesive. It's hard to get it very tight because the adhesive is wet. When it dries pull it off trim off the excess and because you left the second piece of velcro off toward the inside just a little, when you put it back on and put the velcro even it tightens up nicely. It has lasted 10 years now. It was nice to be able to take them off in the winter and put them away and they took up no space.
Good Luck
Jerry
Jerry Campbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2010, 09:44 PM   #3

Year: 1988
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International
Engine: DT-360
Rated Cap: 66

For what it's worth: We found some screens at Wal-Mart of all places that work perfect for bus windows. They have two different screens that slide apart to fill the gap. I'm not sure what they were actually made for but they fit 99% perfect with the windows down. I think they were about $5 each. We bought eleven (all they had on hand). They aren't permanent so we can store them in the closet and put them in whichever windows we want to open. Life is all about options...
tshearer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2010, 10:48 PM   #4
Bus Geek

Year: 1986
Coachwork: BlueBird
Chassis: 40 ft All American FE
Engine: 8.2LTA Fuel Pincher DD V8
Rated Cap: 89

Quote:
Originally Posted by tshearer
... We found some screens at Wal-Mart of all places... They have two different screens that slide apart to fill the gap...
They can be found at Lowes, Home Depot and ACE Hardware. They are one-size-fits-most replacement screens I believe. We used one installed sideways (up/down) on our food cart for the serving "window".
https://lorndavi.wordpress.com/blog/
https://i570.photobucket.com/albums/s...ps0340a6ff.jpg
lornaschinske is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2010, 02:47 AM   #5
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1996
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Ford
Engine: 5.9 Cummings
Rated Cap: 65

I went with Jerry Campbell's idea with the 3/4 velcro strips and used liquid nails adhesive to adhear the velcro strips to the screens and to the outside metal perimeter of the window on the inside of the bus. It was cheap, super easy and they work well for me all last summer. It's nice they can be rolled up and stored away while in travel.

Thanks Jerry by the way!!
Scratchy
Scratchy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2010, 11:27 AM   #6
Skoolie

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Ford
Chassis: Carpenter
Engine: 7.8 New Holland
Rated Cap: 72

Im not sure how he did his screens but heres the web page = ]

http://www.vonslatt.com/bus-main.shtml

This guy has his conversion documented to the teeth!
Im sure if you havent already seen his page that you will find it VERY helpful.
MikeyBskunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2010, 07:03 PM   #7
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1988
Coachwork: bluebird

We bought some screens from a company back east. Somewhere on skoolie they are mentioned - they turned out perfect. They fit very tightly in - the good thing about these ones is you can pop them off and clean the window underneath which is really nice. I wish we didn't need them though because honestly, they block the view these awesome buses provide with endless windows.