Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-29-2012, 03:47 PM   #1
Bus Nut

Year: 2001
Chassis: International Amtran RE
Engine: DT466E/MD3060
Rated Cap: 78
window selection help

Ok peeps....

I am on the tail end of the riveting for the outside skin. Last thing I have to do is weld in some strap steel at the top cause the skin is too short to rivet to hence me welding in metal to attach it to.

Here is my issue. I was planning on using a 24x24 window (from Lowes http://www.lowes.com/ProductDisplay?...ductId=3118847 cause they carry them in stock on the shelf all the time but by the looks of it... they are not going to fit. The larger window in the very front is 32 7/8 wide x 21 3/4 high and the rest of them are 23 3/4 wide x 21 3/4 high.

I am not a huge fan of windows to begin with but I am sure it will need some square tubing welded in and framing on top of that to secure the window to it?

I am thinking about going to this window..... http://www.homedepot.com/Doors-Windo...&storeId=10051 . Its a special order but can be picked up at the store.

Im thinking a total of 5 windows in the bus..... 3 on the passenger side and 2 on the drivers side. They will be layed out in an alternating pattern so you can not see one window to the other.... Hope that makes sense.

I would like to avoid hacking on to the body is at all possible. If you guys have a better idea of how or what window to put in please let me know. I am collecting pieces so that when I pull the trigger it can be done.

Im curious as to what size of windows people normally use in their buses

Thanks in advance....

Bapos

bapos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 08:52 AM   #2
Bus Nut

Re: window selection help

Surely someone has something to add here? Im just looking for some input to window size of what people have put in to their buses and what has worked well for them?
Old 01-06-2013, 10:14 AM   #3
Bus Nut

Year: 87
Coachwork: Wayne
Chassis: International s1700
Engine: 6.9 internatiional
Rated Cap: 65

i just kept the bus windows in mine, so i probably wont be of much help to you. I would not recommend using residential windows in a moving vehicle though. the windows on my Wayne are 28in x 27in
proconsul100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 10:46 AM   #4
Bus Geek

Year: 1935
Coachwork: Superior
Chassis: Chevy
Engine: 317 ci/tid / Isuzu

Hey Bapos, My bus came with safety glass in the side windows--the kind with plastic between the two layers. I'll be replacing them with tempered glass when the time comes. I wouldn't use residential windows either unless they were made of tempered glass and then I'd still think twice. Jack
ol trunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 12:57 PM   #5
Bus Nut

Jack

Thanks for the input. There is a tempered glass option with these residentials that I can get with out much price difference. I plan on putting window tinting on them also for an added safety measure. Broken glass is not good period... tempered or not
Old 01-06-2013, 01:59 PM   #6
Bus Crazy

Year: 1976
Coachwork: Crown
Chassis: Supercoach
Engine: Detroit 6-71 Mid-Ship Mounted
Rated Cap: 79 at Birth

Quote:
Originally Posted by bapos
I plan on putting window tinting on them also for an added safety measure. Broken glass is not good period... tempered or not
That sounds like a good idea..every bit helps towards safety
Old 01-06-2013, 09:25 PM   #7

Year: 1995
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: 3800
Engine: DT408, AT545
Rated Cap: 23 500 gvw

I would use RV type windows.

You Gotta Let Me Fly
crazycal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 06:57 PM   #8
Bus Nut

Cal.....

Why would you? Any particular size?
Old 01-07-2013, 07:59 PM   #9
Bus Geek

Year: 1986
Coachwork: BlueBird
Chassis: 40 ft All American FE
Engine: 8.2LTA Fuel Pincher DD V8
Rated Cap: 89

We just kept part of our original windows. I cut one down in width and reglazed it with "double glue chip" glass for privacy (shower stall). Right now I have clear bubble wrap on the windows to cut the cold air (works like Reflectix but lets the light in along with some solar warming). Once we get the finished PVC trim molding up around the windows, I will mount a removable clear plexi panel into a rabbet in the molding to make an interior "storm window" . That way we can remove them during the summer and open up the windows to let breezes in (once we leave NM... where "breezes" mean dust storm)
https://lorndavi.wordpress.com/blog/
https://i570.photobucket.com/albums/s...ps0340a6ff.jpg
lornaschinske is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 06:44 AM   #10
Bus Nut

Sounds like a good use for old windows but those were removed long before I purchased the bus. I do think its a good use of materails though.

I guess what Im getting at is if people have choose a large windows (be it RV, aftermarket, residential) were they happy with it. Meaning would they choose that size again. Did it let in too much light, wind noise, privacey issues? Same thing for ones too small.... not enough air.... cant see outside.

Im trying to use the experience of others to avoid that situation since its more or less going to be a one time install for me on this bus. I dont mind if it takes a while to collect pieces to put them in. This is a long term project.

I dont have a vast experiecne with rv windows but I suspect they are not the best quality nor would they keep the heat and cold. On top of it all there are not many RV salvage places in and around my area. The ones you see on craigslist are I guess made of gold cause people price them way more than what I think they are worth. This is the main reason why Im going with a residential windows. They are decent quaility, available all the time, and I can make them safe with other materails in the event they break.

Just finding the right size seems to be the hardest part. One that I can make fit the bus and one that seems to be able to do what MOST people want.

Thanks for the replies
Old 01-08-2013, 10:47 AM   #11

Year: 1995
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: 3800
Engine: DT408, AT545
Rated Cap: 23 500 gvw

I don't think residential windows were designed to have wind and water come at them from the angle you get when driving down the freeway. I wouldn't want someone near them in the event of a crash. I just don't think they are as strong. It all a personal choice what works best for you.

I can't decide how many windows to put back after skinning. I like lots of light, but I can't stand the rattle of the skoolie windows. Plus, they are not water tight.

I stopped at one RV salvage place and they had some pretty nice windows for a fairly decent price. A little high but much cheaper than new. That is probably where I will get mine. It's only money, right? LOL.

You Gotta Let Me Fly
crazycal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 12:05 PM   #12
Bus Geek

Year: 1986
Coachwork: BlueBird
Chassis: 40 ft All American FE
Engine: 8.2LTA Fuel Pincher DD V8
Rated Cap: 89

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazycal
... I can't stand the rattle of the skoolie windows. Plus, they are not water tight...
Ours don't rattle nor do they leak. When we first pulled out the windows, we took them all apart and rebuilt using only the best parts. I also washed all the dirt and crud out of the vinyl weather stripping and the pile stripping. When we re-installed, we caulked the windows (and blanked out window panels) with copious amounts of siliconized latex door & window caulking. hey don't leak. If they leaked we would know it by now.
https://lorndavi.wordpress.com/blog/
https://i570.photobucket.com/albums/s...ps0340a6ff.jpg
lornaschinske is offline   Reply With Quote