I had some reluctance about posting for your help, but I have read a handful of skinning threads and would love your guidance towards my plan to skin the bus.
My current plan is to purchase 20 gauge galvannealed steel at 47.88/4x10 sheet, I originally planned on getting 18 gauge, but do like the idea of drilling 1,000 holes in a thinner gauge sheet. I intend to loosely secure it with a handful of bolts to keep the metal up, as I proceed to rivet everything with a harbor freight rivet gun and 1000 of these 1/4" blind rivets
that somewhereinusa used in his build.
I would like to space these rivet's 1.5 inches apart, and place them in holes drilled with 1/4 inch drillbit, between the metal and bus I will use some NP-1 polyeurethane sealant caulking
as reccommended by reprobate in this thread
Now for my questions the first two are related to this picture posted below.
1. RED: highlighted bars between windows aka "frame", should I rivet through here as well? Or only if it's for the edge of the skin?
2. BLUE: this top eyebrow/I forgot what the name for this is, should I remove this before skinning?
2a. if I remove this before skinning, should I secure the top sheet metal into the existing holes using the same sized screws that the eyebrow is secured with?
3. metal: what are your experiences with your sheet metal type/thickness? what gauge did you use?
4. cutting after: I later plan to put in dual pane RV windows, but I only have three at the moment right now. Will I be okay cutting the window holes after securing the new skin? If so how would you recommend I cut it? I assume a plasma cutter is ideal?
5. heating metal? I have heard that heating the metal with a heatgun is good before installing the skin, did you do this? What is your overall opinion regarding this? Now that the weather up here is getting close to 80, I'm starting to feel lazy about it.
6. spacing and drilling: what is your experience/opinion about how far apart to put in the rivets? Also do you have any techniques to have the holes spaced apart evenly? Also is one column of rivets will be enough for the edges?
note: I do not plan to take out the drivers side window at this present moment. Probably.
Thank you for reading this far, I look forward to your input!