Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-17-2010, 12:47 PM   #1
Skoolie

window skinning question

I got a question and hope someone may help answer it for me.
I am wanting to remove and skin the windows but the added cost of sheet steel doesn't appeal to me. So I was wondering if one could use, or have used the steel from below the windows that is inside the bus. I plan on removing mine to insulate and would rather reuse it instead of buying new. I just don't know if it is tall enough to cover the windows (this may vary from bus manufactures but the bus I plan on getting is a Thomas RE high topper). I know most of the wall paneling is textured but that wouldn't bother me as much if it saves me a few hundred in sheet metal cost and besides I could always skin it with Bondo (I can get that stuff by the gallon for free from my fathers company).

Another question I have is if the wall panel isn't tall enough to cover the windows, what are you guys that have skinned their windows paying for sheet steel? and what gauge steel are you using? I know steel prices vary from place to place and can change daily so if you don't have the exact price you paid an estimated price would be fine.

Thanks
Chris

thesaltydog24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2010, 09:36 PM   #2
Skoolie

Re: window skinning question

Thanks Smitty.
I will have to look around for that guy who did that. About how long ago do you remember seeing it?
For some reason I was thinking it would cost around five or six hundred but if I can get it for under three I may just consider getting new sheet steel. Also I guess it would depend on if I can get the wall panels off without damaging them.

Thanks
Chris
Old 01-17-2010, 10:06 PM   #3
Bus Nut

Year: 1976
Coachwork: bluebird
Chassis: F33695
Engine: 427 chevy converted to 466
Rated Cap: 84

saltydog24: I used 16 ga. galvanized because i had some I bought at a sale, 18 ga. will work fine. Your inside stuff will be full of holes and it probably wouldn't work out right because you will need about 2" more width than the window openings. Sheet metal isn't that expensive but labor is so if you supply your own you should be ok. I bent the lower edge in, the sides in and the top out because a BB has eye brows for each window and the bend out is to keep the area critter free and fill the gap. If you want to do it yourself you can take a circular saw with the blade in backwards to friction cut steel. A continuous sheet down the side doesn't work on separate eye brows, I have seen it done and it buck-ells as the bus rolls and bows. You might be able to see my windows at my gallery page. Sportyrick
sportyrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2010, 10:06 AM   #4
Skoolie

Year: 1989
Coachwork: Bluebird tc2000
Chassis: 3401-3502 ???
Engine: cummins 5.9
Rated Cap: 72

i thought about using the metal below my windows to skin the outside but they have to many rivets = holes... and they arnt perfectly flat
i really hate wasting that metal ........
cheezypsnookle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2010, 10:22 AM   #5
Skoolie

Yeah I wasn't thinking about all the holes but now that you guys mentioned it I think I will spring for new sheet metal. I think I will still hang onto the wall panel and try to use it for other things that may come up. Does anyone know what the wall panel metal is made out of? is it stainless steel?

Chris
Old 01-18-2010, 02:19 PM   #6
Skoolie

Thanks for the link Smitty.
I guess I am going to wait and see how the interior panels are after I remove them. if they are ribbed like the ones he used then I think I'm going with new metal. if not and the holes are not that bad I will try to attempt to make it work. all else fails I'll get new sheet metal.

thanks everyone

Chris
Old 02-03-2010, 04:49 PM   #7

hey hows it going i know the guy unfortunately he got rid of the bus luckily heres his post with the window skins taken from inside, hope this helps! viewtopic.php?f=9&t=4682&start=0
scivicblu83 is offline   Reply With Quote