Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-27-2016, 11:17 AM   #81
Bus Nut

Year: 1988
Coachwork: Ward
Chassis: International
Engine: Navistar 5.9 Diesel
Rated Cap: A butt-load...
Quote:
Originally Posted by shortstuff View Post
We tinted all our windows except front windsheild.

They were factory tinted on both sides but we went darker. Only problem I see may be the back windows are tinted too darker. So far 10 years of driving in Florida,S.Carolina and Geogia no problem. Hope it stays that way.
Do you recall what % tint you used?

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

skoolie_n00bie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2016, 11:20 AM   #82
Bus Nut

Year: 1988
Coachwork: Ward
Chassis: International
Engine: Navistar 5.9 Diesel
Rated Cap: A butt-load...
Quote:
Originally Posted by cadillackid View Post
on yours.. you are actually taking the cool conditioned air from your bus and exhausting it.. which creates an ever so slight negative pressure on your bus.. bringing in hot humid air..

so what happens is air from the room is blown over a hot coil inside the unit and exhausted. . so yes the air going out is hot but you are using your dehumidified room air to blow over the coils and exhaust..

any air that is exhausted must be made up somewhere.. or your bus would become a big vacuum..

a 2 hose air conditioner sucks in outside air through one hose.. blows over those hot coils and exhausts that air back out.. never using any of your inside air.. so its more efficient and also can handle more space..

the cold air from your unit is room air sucked in from the room and blown over the cold coils and back out into the room...

-Christopher
Ah I see (said the blind man)!
So what if I box up that side of the unit, and duct it out to a window?

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk
skoolie_n00bie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2016, 11:22 AM   #83
Almost There

Year: 1991
Coachwork: international
Chassis: thomas
Engine: 7.3
Rated Cap: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin97396 View Post
Some places have ordinances about tinting windows but to my understanding this is about the driver's side windows and windshield. What happens is some people have used heavily tinted windows to shoot people, thus the ordinance.
I don't believe that applies to this type of vehicle when you've got from 10 to 30 windows lining the sides of your bus.
I have tinted windows, but was also thinking of adding a layer of tint film at least to the bottom half of all windows. That pretty much eliminates the possibility of someone standing outside looking in through the side windows, unless they're really tall.

Our drivers side is tinted to stop sun from coming in on my face. May have to check on this law thing.
shortstuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2016, 12:05 PM   #84
Bus Geek

Coachwork: 97 Bluebird TC1000 5.9
You got a problem with the left side tan?

I like that idea of tint on the drivers side window but I'm not sure it's legal everywhere. Kind of like having an air brake endorsement, I'm going to need it somewhere. I just try to cover all the bases so I don't have issues while traveling. Some jurisdictions allow you to go by the rules of the state you're registered in while others do not.
Robin97396 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2016, 12:14 PM   #85
Almost There

Year: 1991
Coachwork: international
Chassis: thomas
Engine: 7.3
Rated Cap: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin97396 View Post
You got a problem with the left side tan?

I like that idea of tint on the drivers side window but I'm not sure it's legal everywhere. Kind of like having an air brake endorsement, I'm going to need it somewhere. I just try to cover all the bases so I don't have issues while traveling. Some jurisdictions allow you to go by the rules of the state you're registered in while others do not.
No but the skin cancer and sun blindness is a problem. I like my wrinkles to match too. The left side of my face has more wrionkles than the right side, and this is no joke! .

I do lots of gardening so I also have tan legs and white feet. And a redneck..
shortstuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2016, 12:29 PM   #86
Bus Geek

I come from a family of red heads, so I don't tan. It just burns and peals off. I could hide in a snow bank for camouflage.

I don't mind the trips north with the sun at the side window. I hate going west in afternoons and evenings until after sunset. These are some mighty big windows to deal with.
Old 04-27-2016, 12:32 PM   #87
Bus Crazy

Year: 2000
Chassis: Blue Bird
Engine: ISC 8.3
Solar Gard makes a product called Ultragard UV that has the same 99% UV blocking as their other films, but is clear (89% VLT actually). It might be a great option for somebody who wants UV blocking in the side windows but doesn't want or can't have noticeable tint. It does help a little with solar heat rejection, too (16%).
family wagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2016, 01:36 PM   #88
Bus Crazy

Incidentally.. not an hour after posting that last message, I've just received an email announcing "Ultra Performance Plus 80" which offers 80% VLT, but the heat rejection at 43% is really significant especially for that VLT level. Of course it's more expensive than the GILA films that are all over Amazon though.
Old 04-27-2016, 01:49 PM   #89
Bus Nut

Coachwork: Thomsass
Chassis: FreightShaker
Engine: 5.9 Cummins 5 speed
Rated Cap: 2 ATV's and friends
[QUOTE=Robin97396;145107]I come from a family of red heads, so I don't tan. It just burns and peals off. I could hide in a snow bank for camouflage.

LOL, I can relate to the frying up like bacon....love the sun/heat, hate winter....don't even own a pair of shorts and wear mostly black clothes.

Ontario Canada, Pass and drivers side windows max 35%, anything goes on the rest of the windows behind those and nothing after market allowed on windshield . I've got a 4 inch strip across the top edge that I hope I don't get to much grief over.
REDD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2016, 02:51 PM   #90
Bus Geek

It must be pretty cool up there or you'd find a pair of shorts.

I'd say that's pretty reasonable and quite common regulation on the windows, although I don't specifically remember the specification for Oregon. I don't understand how they get away with the very dark drivers side windows in some cars.

You've got the same engine as my bus but you're quite a bit heavier and likely rated at a higher horsepower. Is that just bigger injectors? Aside from the cooling issues.
Old 04-27-2016, 05:42 PM   #91
Bus Crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by family wagon View Post
Solar Gard makes a product called Ultragard UV that has the same 99% UV blocking as their other films, but is clear (89% VLT actually). It might be a great option for somebody who wants UV blocking in the side windows but doesn't want or can't have noticeable tint. It does help a little with solar heat rejection, too (16%).
I thought straight up window glass did a passable job of UV blocking? My photo-gray prescription glasses certainly seem to indicate that.
dan-fox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2016, 06:02 PM   #92
Bus Crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tango View Post
Hey Cadillac...kwik kwestion. I have always been told that wet sleeve engines like the DT's should never run any water at all...only coolant, to prevent cavitation. Is this something you know or have heard?
Sorry if this is hijacking. The reply is a little late; I haven't been on for a couple of days. Prolly deserves its own thread. I don't have a bus yet, but I did read up on this when I first got twitterpated over the idea of replaceable cylinders. I still think they're a pretty good idea, but:

Yes, there is a lot of chemistry/additive stuff you have to keep track of. Dip-strip testing and the like. This is because:

1) Wet sleeves are cylinders constrained only at the top and bottom typically.
2) Diesel combustion is basically repeated explosions.
3) this causes the wt sleeve/cylinder to "ring"; change its cross section to oval in one axis then the other.
4) They are really stiff, so their resonant frequency is really high.
5) This causes cavitation - the water can't get out of the way and flow back in fast enough, so little vacuum bubbles are constantly forming and collapsing on the outer surface of the wet sleeve.
6) Unless managed, this behavior will chew up sleeves toot suite.
7) It's managed by Better Living Through Chemistry.

So yeah, filters and test strips and vials, oh my! OTOH when/if it goes south, you can rebuild it in-frame for $2K and a couple of weekends.

Hope this wasn't too long.
dan-fox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2016, 06:28 PM   #93
Bus Crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by dan-fox View Post
I thought straight up window glass did a passable job of UV blocking? My photo-gray prescription glasses certainly seem to indicate that.
It seems that it depends on the glass. There's an article at autoblog which cites Some Dude From a Glass Company ("Pete Dishart, who leads product development at Pittsburgh Glass Works in Pennsylvania").
Quote:
He says windshields absorb 100 percent of UVB rays, which cause sunburn, and around 98 percent of UVA rays, which don't cause sunburn but can do long-term damage to the skin.
The article continues:
Quote:
But unless they're tinted for privacy, side windows usually absorb only 65 percent of UV rays. That gives them an SPF of around 16, Dishart says, the same as some of the lowest grades of sunscreen.
It also mentions some automakers have begun selecting glass for side positions with better UV blocking, but even so it's not so good as what windshields provide.

All I can say is it seems there's evidence supporting skin damage, including my own sunburnt left arm when I've driven westward in the afternoon for too long, to suggest there's enough UV getting through the side glass to be concerned about. I guess skin damage happens with less UV than is required to activate the coating on photo-gray glasses. Maybe the coating designers picked a high threshold because of concern over nuisance graying from exposure to unfiltered halogen or fluorescent light, or from UV light entering a building through a window.

Part of the thread was about solar heat gain, too. I can vouch for the Solar Gard film I used that I'm definitely more comfortable sitting in the car with sun shining on me through that film than I was prior to installing the film.