Old 04-26-2016, 05:06 PM   #61
Bus Geek

Year: 1946
Coachwork: Chevrolet/Wayne
Chassis: 1- 1/2 ton
Engine: Cummins 4BT
Rated Cap: 15
Personally, I've never had good luck with tint film. Had two cars with "professionally" applied tint...both became a nuisance within a couple of months.
Tango is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2016, 05:19 PM   #62
Bus Crazy

Year: 2000
Chassis: Blue Bird
Engine: ISC 8.3
The "percentage" of the film is the measure of "visible light transmittance" or VLT. You might see either term on marketing materials. Lower VLT corresponds with darker appearance, as you said.

Solar energy rejection varies significantly from one family of films to another, but within a given family of films, the darker/lower VLT will also reject more solar heat. Some brands test and advertise their heat rejection while others don't.. I suspect there's a reason for this but I haven't experimented with the cheap stuff to see for myself. I've used Solar Gard automotive films on several windows in my cars, bus, and home and been very pleased with it. Some of mine are up to 5 years now since I applied the film.

The right VLT for you depends on your objective. If you want nighttime privacy while there's any source of light in the bus, IMHO even 5% window film won't get you there. Daytime privacy is much easier to achieve.
family wagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2016, 05:54 PM   #63
Bus Nut

Year: 1988
Coachwork: Ward
Chassis: International
Engine: Navistar 5.9 Diesel
Rated Cap: A butt-load...
Quote:
Originally Posted by family wagon View Post
The "percentage" of the film is the measure of "visible light transmittance" or VLT. You might see either term on marketing materials. Lower VLT corresponds with darker appearance, as you said.

Solar energy rejection varies significantly from one family of films to another, but within a given family of films, the darker/lower VLT will also reject more solar heat. Some brands test and advertise their heat rejection while others don't.. I suspect there's a reason for this but I haven't experimented with the cheap stuff to see for myself. I've used Solar Gard automotive films on several windows in my cars, bus, and home and been very pleased with it. Some of mine are up to 5 years now since I applied the film.

The right VLT for you depends on your objective. If you want nighttime privacy while there's any source of light in the bus, IMHO even 5% window film won't get you there. Daytime privacy is much easier to achieve.
Really, all I wanna do is keep the inside cooler

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk
skoolie_n00bie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2016, 06:02 PM   #64
Bus Geek

Year: 1997
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: TC 1000
Engine: 5.9
Send a message via Yahoo to Robin97396
Roger that Mr Wagon. At night with a light on inside the bus you can see everything. On the other hand at night you'll not be able to see people outside watching you.

Is there a film that blocks light like black plastic. I'd like to permanently cover the bottom half of my windows with something opaque but removable if a mind were ever to change.

I used 5% in my last bus. Took about 5 rolls for a 5 window, which I think was about $80 at the time. Well worth it during the day time. Wildlife walk right past the bus. I've still got the bus and it's been at least 15 years with no bubbles in the film. There are areas where things have scratched the film but it's holding up very well.

They say to not use ammonia based window cleaner while applying the film. I think it's like painting. Most of your time is in prep. You've got to razor scrape the windows to get every bit of stuff off the surface. After it's very clean I spray it down with window cleaner, then apply the film to the wet surface. Use the rubber window scrapers to squeeze out the liquid and smooth out any bubbles until they are all gone. I let them dry for a few days, then go back and trim the edges with a razor knife.
Not one bubble has appeared in 15 years, but on the other hand it doesn't seem to come off now.
Robin97396 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2016, 06:11 PM   #65
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International S3800
Engine: DT360
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
Quote:
Originally Posted by skoolie_n00bie View Post
Really, all I wanna do is keep the inside cooler

my way is im just installing a BIG air conditioner
-christopher
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2016, 06:13 PM   #66
Bus Nut

Year: 1988
Coachwork: Ward
Chassis: International
Engine: Navistar 5.9 Diesel
Rated Cap: A butt-load...
Quote:
Originally Posted by cadillackid View Post
my way is im just installing a BIG air conditioner
-christopher
Yes, I noticed!
My itty bitty 12k BTU unit pales compared to your....40k, I believe? You cooling for penguins?

skoolie_n00bie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2016, 06:42 PM   #67
Bus Geek

Year: 1997
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: TC 1000
Engine: 5.9
Send a message via Yahoo to Robin97396
40K? Hey, next summer lets take a trip to Death Valley. I hear there's fried eggs on most of the rocks there.
Robin97396 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2016, 07:01 PM   #68
Bus Geek

53k is the system im actually installing... well at least thats the specs.. however im apprehensive as I didnt know it was possible to get 53k out of a TM-16 compressor... though with the low RPM of a diesel I ordered one with a smaller pulley so I should spin it pretty good...

difference in mine and yours though is I intend to cool it quickly.. similar to a car.. since im not camping in my bus it wont be sitting for hours with the A/C running keeping it cool.. mine has to contend with hot soak, hot metal, plus a running engine as I drive..
-Christopher
Old 04-26-2016, 07:04 PM   #69
Bus Geek

Year: 1946
Coachwork: Chevrolet/Wayne
Chassis: 1- 1/2 ton
Engine: Cummins 4BT
Rated Cap: 15
Hey Cadillac...I would suggest naming your rig "The Reefer"...but, it just might draw the wrong kind of attention, if ya know what I mean.
Tango is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2016, 07:09 PM   #70
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tango View Post
Hey Cadillac...I would suggest naming your rig "The Reefer"...but, it just might draw the wrong kind of attention, if ya know what I mean.
funny thing is when I was getting quotes for parts.. the lady at Transair Spec'd out a 120k dual compressor system...

I told her my bus is a Short bus... but that if I was a school bus driver it might be nice as I could cryogenic all the kids on the way to school... they would be quiet..

besides i doubt a DT-360 coould spin 2 and still drive.. thought it is a VERY buildable engine so I could snag some more TQ / HP pretty easily...