Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-18-2009, 10:52 AM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1990
Chassis: International
Engine: DT360
window upgrades

Are there any easy upgrades for windows? The stock windows kind of suck, but I don't really want to invest the time into a full fab job. Are there any simple replacements?

icnivad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2009, 10:58 PM   #2
Bus Nut

Re: window upgrades

Simple???...... No....
oldog12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2009, 10:27 PM   #3
Skoolie

Year: 1989
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: 3800
Engine: 7.3 International Diesel
Rated Cap: 72

Um well We bought custom conversion windows from an outfit in BC Canada, Can't remember the exact name of the company but i could dig it up if you like. Our windows were built to our exact sizes and we were able to choose the install ring size so it would fit where we wanted it. They are double paned sealed units and very nice...which of course translated into $ about 3000 of them. But if you have cash and want an easy fix, then these would be simple, send your measurements and install them in the holes you have.
Lady Franklin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2009, 12:16 PM   #4

Year: 1972
Coachwork: Superior Coach
Chassis: Chevrolet C50
Engine: 366 Chevy
Rated Cap: 66

I found some great dual pane windows on e-bay for my bus. These came with smoked glass and sliding screens. The vendor is Callen Campers in El Cajon, CA. http://www.CallenCamper.com. Check e-bay for window pics and pricing.

I paid $49 for the 22" x 46". The 22" x 72" were a little more through e-bay, but I was able to get them for $49 also by picking them up. IIRC, shipping is $25. I picked them up since I was fortunate enought to live about 20 miles from them. They can order interior trim rings to fit your wall thickness.

I wouldn't say that the installation was easy, but it could have been a lot worse. The height was perfect for the original openings in my '72 Superior Coach. All I had to do was cut out the vertical beam and weld in a new 1" x 2" post. Once the sheet metal was done, I applied putty tape to the flanges and attached the window unit to the posts with self tapping sheet metal screws.

Custom windows would be easier, but cost considerably more.

Here is a pic of the Phool Bus with the windows that I purchased from Callen Campers
Attached Thumbnails
PIC_0041.JPG  
Phool Bus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2009, 09:51 PM   #5
Bus Nut

Go to ebay and check out Tri-State Surplus as they have plenty of windows. I bought many items from these people and highly recommend them. My bus windows had a 22" height so I found some that would fit right into the openings, I did have to cut-out a couple of pillars between windows to get a pair of long ones in place.

You just might be a Redneck if...
...your motor home used to be a school bus!
...Your living room has a steering wheel!
...Your home has brake lights

1994 Jeep Grand Cherokee
1989 Thomas Diesel Pusher (Cat 3208/Freightliner)
Chesapeake, Virginia
GoneCamping is offline   Reply With Quote