Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 04-10-2019, 03:15 PM   #1
Mini-Skoolie
 
Join Date: Sep 2018
Location: Elizabeth City, NC
Posts: 46
Year: 1998
Coachwork: Freightliner/Thomas
Chassis: FS65
Engine: Caterpillar 3126
Window upright cover removal

I'm doing demo for a roof raise and I'm stuck again trying to remove the window upright covers (?) between the windows.

I unscrewed the 6 screws that hold it to the body, but like everything else on my bus, it's on there with super glue or something! How do you guys remove these things? See photo

This is the last thing I have to remove. Planning the raise for Friday!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20190410_150856.jpg (173.5 KB, 1 views)
blissout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2019, 03:33 PM   #2
Bus Nut
 
weboughtabus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 329
Year: 2004
Coachwork: Corbeil
Chassis: Ford
Engine: Ford PowerStroke Diesel 6.0
Rated Cap: GVWR 11,500
Quote:
Originally Posted by blissout View Post
I'm doing demo for a roof raise and I'm stuck again trying to remove the window upright covers (?) between the windows.

I unscrewed the 6 screws that hold it to the body, but like everything else on my bus, it's on there with super glue or something! How do you guys remove these things? See photo

This is the last thing I have to remove. Planning the raise for Friday!
Mine were pretty well stuck on because of the sealant at the edge of the caps, by the window frames. I'd run a razor blade along the window frame and then carefully pry them off.

EDIT:
I also noticed that you're doing a roof raise on a Thomas bus. What's the plan for dealing with the inward tilt of the sides (I want to say it's 12.5 degrees in)?
__________________
charlotte_thebus on Instagram
weboughtabus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2019, 04:35 PM   #3
Mini-Skoolie
 
Join Date: Sep 2018
Location: Elizabeth City, NC
Posts: 46
Year: 1998
Coachwork: Freightliner/Thomas
Chassis: FS65
Engine: Caterpillar 3126
Quote:
Originally Posted by weboughtabus View Post
Mine were pretty well stuck on because of the sealant at the edge of the caps, by the window frames. I'd run a razor blade along the window frame and then carefully pry them off.

EDIT:
I also noticed that you're doing a roof raise on a Thomas bus. What's the plan for dealing with the inward tilt of the sides (I want to say it's 12.5 degrees in)?
Ok I'll try the razor and pry carefully method.

I didn't notice the tilt of the sides until you pointed it out. What do people usually do to raise a Thomas? Cut off all the uprights and weld on all new ones?
blissout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2019, 04:45 PM   #4
Bus Nut
 
weboughtabus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 329
Year: 2004
Coachwork: Corbeil
Chassis: Ford
Engine: Ford PowerStroke Diesel 6.0
Rated Cap: GVWR 11,500
Quote:
Originally Posted by blissout View Post
Ok I'll try the razor and pry carefully method.

I didn't notice the tilt of the sides until you pointed it out. What do people usually do to raise a Thomas? Cut off all the uprights and weld on all new ones?
To be honest - I'm not sure I've ever seen a roof raise on a Thomas. You could raise it below the windows where the ribs are straight, but then you've pushed the windows up the whole way. If you're clever you could probably make/have made some custom hat channel extensions that have the appropriate bend above and below (I drew up what that would end up looking like), but then you'd have to ensure that all of your cuts are perfectly aligned. I'm sure there are other ways from smarter people. Good luck!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20190410_164048.jpg (72.0 KB, 1 views)
__________________
charlotte_thebus on Instagram
weboughtabus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2019, 05:14 PM   #5
Mini-Skoolie
 
Join Date: Sep 2018
Location: Elizabeth City, NC
Posts: 46
Year: 1998
Coachwork: Freightliner/Thomas
Chassis: FS65
Engine: Caterpillar 3126
Quote:
Originally Posted by weboughtabus View Post
To be honest - I'm not sure I've ever seen a roof raise on a Thomas. You could raise it below the windows where the ribs are straight, but then you've pushed the windows up the whole way. If you're clever you could probably make/have made some custom hat channel extensions that have the appropriate bend above and below (I drew up what that would end up looking like), but then you'd have to ensure that all of your cuts are perfectly aligned. I'm sure there are other ways from smarter people. Good luck!
I'm think I'm going to have to cut below the windows, because yeah making all of that custom hat would be pricey. I've seen pics of it cut below the window and it looks crazy, but that's the best solution I think.

I wonder if I weld on straight hat to the 2 points (one at a time) if I can make a new angle and then skin that?
blissout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2019, 05:17 PM   #6
Bus Geek
 
o1marc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Location: Dawsonville, Ga.
Posts: 8,467
Year: 1999
Coachwork: Genesis
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466/3060
Rated Cap: 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by blissout View Post
I'm think I'm going to have to cut below the windows, because yeah making all of that custom hat would be pricey. I've seen pics of it cut below the window and it looks crazy, but that's the best solution I think.

I wonder if I weld on straight hat to the 2 points (one at a time) if I can make a new angle and then skin that?
If you're raising from below the windows a quite of bit of siding will need to be removed to expose the channels to cut.
o1marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2019, 05:42 PM   #7
Bus Geek
 
EastCoastCB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Eustis FLORIDA
Posts: 19,302
Year: 1999
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by blissout View Post
Ok I'll try the razor and pry carefully method.

I didn't notice the tilt of the sides until you pointed it out. What do people usually do to raise a Thomas? Cut off all the uprights and weld on all new ones?
Most thomas raises look aesthetically less appealing due to folks not planning for the geometry of the bus. From the top rub rail it slopes in 6 degrees. To look really good and have no bowing or crinkles you're gonna want to raise it below the window line.

Odd that probably 9 out of 10 folks who want a roof raise buy a Thomas, but it seems that way.
Folks do it, but it takes more planning and finesse to make it look right.
__________________
.
Roll Your Own Build Thread
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:19 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
×