Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-20-2012, 07:19 PM   #1
Bus Crazy

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: 3800 International
Engine: T444E
Rated Cap: 72
windshield curtains

just wondering what ever one is doing for windshield curtains,and drivers side window, and door. we used a curtain that we would hang up with magnet hooks, pain in the butt. thinking maybe a rollershade mounted sideways, pull from behind driver pull right around windshield. most likley end up making curtains, will see.
tks
gbstewart

Old 04-20-2012, 10:13 PM   #2
Bus Crazy

Re: windshield curtains

was thinking of making curtains on a rail like they have for van front motorhomes.. would make some good privacy!
Stuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 10:57 PM   #3
Bus Geek

Year: 1986
Coachwork: BlueBird
Chassis: 40 ft All American FE
Engine: 8.2LTA Fuel Pincher DD V8
Rated Cap: 89

I've got one of my extra quilts (king sized) strung up over the front windshield. It's "temporary" which means it will probably be there for a couple years. I seem to have too many quilts. I have three on the bed. They are all the "poufy" ones that really don't do a whole lot of good (and why we use a sleeping bag as a comforter for cold nights). I can't decide if I want the windshield cover to be permanently mounted or removable (requiring storage while traveling). the comforter works great for keeping the drafts at bay on the windshield. Makes me think about using an old felted blanket backed with a thermal curtain liner (can buy at the local Hobby Lobby) with a "nice" front material cover. OR do the thermal curtain liner attached to a padded faux leather upholstery material I think I would like to put on the rocking chair. Haven't figured out anything except that I want to do a top-down Roman shade for the bus side windows. Front windshield (if permanent mount) would be a standard bottom up roman shade.
https://lorndavi.wordpress.com/blog/
https://i570.photobucket.com/albums/s...ps0340a6ff.jpg
lornaschinske is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2012, 01:18 AM   #4
Bus Crazy

i took a u shaped curtain railing out of a 8 foot camper from the bed above the pickup. It probably was 14 feet long, but has little rollers that the hooks attach to, and they can be rolled along the entire length of the thing.. It was too long for my bus, and i cut and rebent both the drivers side, the center lengthwise was shortened, and the curved passenger side was re bent to fit around where the old normal door opening was so i could attach it to the wall. so mine is u shaped also, just redone to match the overhead cabinets, and millie is now making the curtains in 18 inch segments, so it can be easily moved out of the way when driving.
So, if you look at scrap campers, or in the rv parts stores, you might find the u shaped channel that is essentially a 1 piece unit. i think it will be way better than either the short curtain rod things or the long springs....
Old 04-21-2012, 10:25 AM   #5
Bus Crazy

Year: 1995
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: All-American R/E
Engine: 8.3 Cummins

We use insulated curtains and roll it up and hold it with velcro.
opus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2012, 03:24 PM   #6
Bus Nut

Year: 1992
Coachwork: BlueBird
Chassis: All American RE
Engine: 8.3 Cummins

We're going with a similar setup to what Opus mentioned. Roll them up when not in use.
syke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2012, 09:11 PM   #7
Bus Nut

Year: 2001
Chassis: International Amtran RE
Engine: DT466E/MD3060
Rated Cap: 78

If anyone had pics of the setups they are using it would be nice to see them here.
bapos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 10:43 AM   #8
Bus Nut

Year: 1993
Coachwork: AmTran
Chassis: IHC
Engine: Dt360
Rated Cap: 19

Up until this spring, I used a simple cotton drop cloth, cut to size and with a loop sewn into one edge, hanging on a piece of conduit that hangs above the front window. This was mostly for privacy, but as the days got longer and the temps crept up, I started thinking about how to mitigate heat gain. The bad thing about my curtain, and also poorly-fitting sunshades inside a car windshield, is that the gap between the window and the shade can result in a mini-greenhouse effect. The air between the window and the shade gets heated, rises, and (relatively) cooler air is pulled in from the bottom. The same effect can happen with cold temps, except the air is cooled, sinks, and pulls in warmer air from the top to be cooled. It's actually a very good way to passively heat a home using south-facing windows, if that's what you want.

So I cut some rectangles out of Reflectix and have them wedged flat against the front glass. It lacks the esthetics & portability of curtains that are easily opened/closed/stowed but they seemed to be doing the job. Full disclosure: I moved into a house for the rest of the summer. For reasons I won't bore you with, I didn't want to get into modifying the bus for Tucson's fairly brutal summer and couldn't relocate to a cooler locale.
Old 04-22-2012, 12:38 PM   #9
Bus Crazy

Year: 1976
Coachwork: Crown
Chassis: Supercoach
Engine: Detroit 6-71 Mid-Ship Mounted
Rated Cap: 79 at Birth

I'm using a reflective sun screen similar to what Sean described. Not too much of a PITA to put up and down. It does give good privacy and helps a great deal on he heat rduction through the front windshields.

http://www.campingworld.com/shopping/it ... hade/26250
Old 07-06-2012, 04:25 PM   #10
Ob1
Skoolie

Year: 1963
Coachwork: Grumman
Chassis: Chevrolet
Engine: Chevy 292 I-6

2X on the Reflectix.

Bought a roll at Lowes, cut to fit the windshield and side glasses, taped the pieces together with aluminum sheet metal tape, added industrial self adhesive Velcro to the centers and all corners to hold it in place.

Great reduction in heat gain! Liked it so much, I cut shapes for all the windows, and use them depending on what windows I wish to look out of. On the window pieces, I found little self adhesive velcro dots.
Ob1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2012, 02:25 AM   #11
Bus Crazy

Year: 1973
Chassis: All American
Engine: CAT 1160 V-8 Diesel

I have to tell you about the blackout shades I have for the whole front of the bus as well as the two windows on the rear door.

I had someone make them for me. They are two layer. It is black vinyl inside and the outside layer is a thick white fabric that is a sun blocker.

They snap on. In the photos of the steps, you will see them on and you will see them off. Much the same with the windshield.

When not in use, they fold up and are stored on a shelf. Very compact.

Old 07-07-2012, 10:04 AM   #12
Bus Crazy

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: 3800 International
Engine: T444E

accordion

that is slick set up, me like! I didnt think about making a curtain for each door window, thats slick way of doing it. I was looking at useing snaps for the front windsheild as well, nice and fast. thats what i want when we stop for 1 night, to be able block out the sun as well as eyes.

looks like im going to have to break out the sewing machine!

tks for posting

gbstewart
Old 07-16-2012, 09:37 PM   #13
Bus Nut

Year: 1976
Coachwork: bluebird
Chassis: F33695
Engine: 427 chevy converted to 466
Rated Cap: 84

we used the rails with little rollers and hooks, what a pain in the ass, then we used magnets sewn into the curtains in the back, way to go, I recommend that over anything else, easy to put up and down and you aren't going to tear a nostril open if you fall down in the dark, don't use anything that will cut or tear flesh. sportyrick
sportyrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 09:50 PM   #14
Bus Geek

Year: 1935
Coachwork: Superior
Chassis: Chevy
Engine: 317 ci/tid / Isuzu

A buddy just handed me a couple of rare earth magnets which he took out of a computer hard drive. These puppies are so strong I think you could tow a car with them! I'm going to cut them in half (that gives me 4) and sew them into my drapes for the front windshield.
ol trunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 09:09 AM   #15
Bus Crazy

magnets work well for that... and everyone probably has 27 hdd's in the back room...

I will now throw away my "J" hooks and just stick on magnets to the chains...
Old 07-17-2012, 10:57 AM   #16
Bus Geek

Year: 1935
Coachwork: Superior
Chassis: Chevy
Engine: 317 ci/tid / Isuzu

'49, You might want to use 2 magnets on each chain--and let us all know in advance what roads you will be towing on. I love it when folks adopt my looney suggestions
ol trunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 11:44 AM   #17
Bus Nut

Just a word of advice........ After installing the magnets be careful not to get too close to the vehicle in front of you..........
you may find out just how strong those magnets really are.......
Old 07-17-2012, 09:17 PM   #18
Bus Crazy

Year: 1973
Chassis: All American
Engine: CAT 1160 V-8 Diesel

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreyEagle
Just a word of advice........ After installing the magnets be careful not to get too close to the vehicle in front of you..........
you may find out just how strong those magnets really are.......
You are absolutely correct in you assessment of the GREAT strength that rare Earth magnets possess.
I have scavenged some of those magnets from old computers. I could take one in my palm, and then be able to hold the other one on the face of my hand. That is over an inch through bones.

OH! By the way! Do not get your fingertips close to those round magnets when you are playing with them THEY WILL BITE YOU!!