Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-30-2014, 12:30 PM   #1
Bus Geek

Year: 1986
Coachwork: BlueBird
Chassis: 40 ft All American FE
Engine: 8.2LTA Fuel Pincher DD V8
Rated Cap: 89
Winter in the bus (staying warm and thawed)

New Mexico 12/30/14 21F @ 11:30AM

A cold front is coming thru and bring even colder temps over the next few days. Winter has arrived.

I use two small electric Patton milkhouse style utility heaters that I get from Wal-Mart for about $20. You can buy the Patton PUH680 heaters at several places other than Wal-Mart. I like these heaters. I have one in my Jeep that I plug into a timer on an extension cord so I have a warm, thawed out vehicle to go to work it. These work well for temps down to about 40F. Then they need help. It seems to me that electric heaters don't work all that great below 40F.

I heat the front part of the bus with a vent free LP gas fireplace (Procom FBD28T - firebox insert only as I had a mantle) that I bought from Home Depot (other places have them plus they are sold already in a cabinet). It does go thru a fair amount of LP. Worst was when we ran it almost non-stop (off only for sleeping) when we first installed it. Got about 6 days out of a 20LB tank. Now I have it on a blower and I run the electric heaters at the same time to help move the warmed air around. The last tank was filled on Nov 14. It ran out late yesterday. Just put a new tank on last night before going to bed as I knew it would be nasty today and only getting colder over the next few days.

In the bathroom area, I have an old Dynaglo Tag-a-long radient LP heater. This uses a ceramic brick not a catalytic pad. It is on an unregulated tank since it has it own built in regulator like found on tabletop gas grills. It does a wonderful job of heating the back half of the bus. It seems to be very durable. I bought mine in 2004 at an end of season sale at a TN Walmart. I used it in the popup, in the house during power outages and in the uninsulated food cart. I think I paid around $70 for it. Great little heater. So when we built the bus, we needed a non-electric heat source. The little tag-a-long got hung on a wall. I have never put it on the HIGH setting.

I only use the electric heaters at night, I also turn them down low as well for overnight. I have a heated mattress pad that I sleep on top of. I use a sleeping bag as a blanket plus a couple of pretty quilts on top of the sleeping bag. The heated mattress pad keeps the memory foam topper under it warm and soft.

My supply and grey drains are all heat taped/insulated as well as the valves and even the fresh tank has a heat tape on it (will be changed once I get the other tank installed in the spring when a water bed heater will be used).

I have discovered that those pads used under sleeping bags makes a nice thermal pad to put under a rug to keep your toes warm. My floors are Trafficmaster Ceramic which are cold just like a regular tile floor.

This is my last winter in NM!

How are you keeping your bus warm in cold temps? Moving to a warmer climate does not count!

https://lorndavi.wordpress.com/blog/
https://i570.photobucket.com/albums/s...ps0340a6ff.jpg
lornaschinske is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2014, 06:34 PM   #2
Bus Crazy

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: 3800 International
Engine: T444E
Rated Cap: 72
Our bus is parked for the winter, its -32c (-44c with the wind)
In a few years we will be snowbirds, and no more cold or snow
gbstewart
Old 12-30-2014, 09:22 PM   #3
Skoolie

Interesting info. I'll be doing everything I can to prep my build for the deep cold. I'm a die-hard snowboarder/intermediate snowmobiler, so being out in the worst of the worst is right up my alley.

Besides the obvious copious amounts of insulation, I plan to heat my bus with a wood-fired hydronic floor heating system. I'll try to stuff as much tubing into the system as possible to increase its overall thermal mass. In addition I'll use either hardwood or ceramic flooring to add to that. The same stove can heat my hot water, and a relief valve can froth the milk for my espresso. I'll also have a marine style diesel powered hot water heater as a backup for when wood is unavailable, impractical, or I want to run the system while in transit. May also do some solar hot water heating as well on the roof, but I gotta decide if I want to give up space for more pv since I'll have a shorter bus than most and large power appetite.
Old 12-31-2014, 04:39 AM   #4
Bus Geek

Head in trees,you might want to rethink frothing with water/coolant mix
bansil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2014, 08:50 AM   #5
Skoolie

Year: 1977
Coachwork: Chevy
Chassis: C/60
Engine: 350 V8
Rated Cap: 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by lornaschinske View Post
New Mexico 12/30/14 21F @ 11:30AM
How are you keeping your bus warm in cold temps? Moving to a warmer climate does not count!
You would not do well in MN if 21F is cold for you ;)

It was -15F here last night and dipped below -25F last winter too many times to count. There was a two week stretch last winter where temps did not get above 0F !!

The previous owners of my skoolie used it as a year-round cabin and had very little insulation but that was overcompensated by the 120k BTU's of LP heaters running when it was occupied.

I do not use the bus outdoors in the winter because it would cost a small fortune for me to heat it no matter what method I were to employ. It currently resides in my heated shop so it's nice and warm should I need to use it for guests or whatnot. Plus I have freedom to work on it when I choose in a nice warm building
Old 12-31-2014, 11:31 AM   #6
Bus Crazy

Year: 1995
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: All-American R/E
Engine: 8.3 Cummins
Websato. -10 last trip out, toasty.
opus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2014, 11:44 AM   #7
Skoolie

Year: 1977
Coachwork: Chevy
Chassis: C/60
Engine: 350 V8
Rated Cap: 54
How many British units of heat does that Websato put out ??
Old 12-31-2014, 11:46 AM   #8
Bus Crazy

Year: 1995
Chassis: All-American R/E
Engine: 8.3 Cummins
It puts out 45,000BTU.
opus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2015, 02:09 AM   #9
Bus Nut

Year: 1996
Chassis: All American Rear Engine
Engine: C-8.3-300 Cummins MD3060
Rated Cap: 40 Prisoners
Presently heating with 1 1500 watt electric heater set on high and one radiant heater set on low at 800 watts. 28 degrees F outside and 52 degrees
inside. Adding 1" insulation to the walls and laminate flooring brought the
temp difference up 15 degrees. Now to insulate the stairwells. On another
subject I was very saddened by your loss and wondered if there was a place
a fellow skoolie could send funds to help you out with the unexpected debt
that you have acquired. I can tell from your posts that you are very independent and have a strong sense of pride but if you would let some of
your fellow skoolies give you a hand up it would at least make us feel good.
Dragonpop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2015, 10:55 AM   #10
Bus Geek

Year: 1986
Coachwork: BlueBird
Chassis: 40 ft All American FE
Engine: 8.2LTA Fuel Pincher DD V8
Rated Cap: 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragonpop View Post
...On another subject I was very saddened by your loss and wondered if there was a place a fellow skoolie could send funds to help you out with the unexpected debt that you have acquired. I can tell from your posts that you are very independent and have a strong sense of pride but if you would let some of your fellow skoolies give you a hand up it would at least make us feel good.
I'm fine (freaked out, insecure, neurotic, emotional) like always, just more so. I have a fulltime job so money is not an issue. I had been buying HD stock since I started working at HD as a savings account with better "interest" earnings. So I cashed it out and paid off the incurred bills. The rest went back into a Schwab brokerage account.

It did set back my plan of buying land back east (FL Panhandle?) to park on and convert a bus for Das Mel. But the two of us have decided to wait a year on the land, and the bus... unless it is a remodel, it will be pushed back as well. Not that we will stop looking. But I know from experience that converting in a campground is not easy. But we could do a remodel.
https://lorndavi.wordpress.com/blog/
https://i570.photobucket.com/albums/s...ps0340a6ff.jpg
lornaschinske is offline   Reply With Quote