Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-12-2009, 09:26 PM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1986
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: GMC
Engine: 350 Chevy
Rated Cap: 15
Wipers, Interior Lights, Fans, Heaters wont work.

But! the headlights, signals and ignition do. Not sure where to go from here....ive looked one fusebox, and it seemed fine. Its a total mess of wires behind the main panel on my left....and i really dont know where to begin. Help anyone? Is there a main fuse or a relay that's died on me? Or the whole set up not grounded properly?

timecrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2009, 10:31 PM   #2
Bus Geek

Send a message via MSN to the_experience03 Send a message via Yahoo to the_experience03
Re: Wipers, Interior Lights, Fans, Heaters wont work.

On my bus all those switched items hook to a large solenoid called the "J-block" which is in turn activated by a signal from the ignition switch. It should be relatively easy to find in that mess back there.
Old 04-13-2009, 08:48 AM   #3
Skoolie

Year: 86
Coachwork: Thomas saf-t-liner
Chassis: International
Engine: dt466
Rated Cap: 40

Same deal here.......just take alot of breaths and git after figuring what that mess is! I made little sticker labels and slowly started to figure it all out by process of elimination. Eventually you will just know where it all goes. Get a tester if ya don't already have one. Zip ties come in real handy for getting the rats nest all organized. Good luck!
recycler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2009, 02:28 PM   #4
Bus Nut

Year: 1991
Coachwork: ward
Chassis: IH
Engine: dt466
Rated Cap: 72

Mine also has a large solinoid on the left console. It was mounted inside the console behind the hinged switch panel. With the ignition switch on, you should have power coming off that solinoid to all your relays and switches. Even with the key off you should have power going to one side of the solinoid. Hope that helps.
Old 04-16-2009, 08:47 PM   #5
Mini-Skoolie

k so i installed a new ignition cylinder...with a new key replacing the lost one. i turn the key and everything, the lights, all that jazz, goes out. Whats wrong? what did i do? im pretty sure i wired everything correctly when i put the starter in and so forth....is it another solenoid going out?
thanks
JF
Old 04-16-2009, 09:57 PM   #6
Bus Nut

Year: 1976
Coachwork: bluebird
Chassis: F33695
Engine: 427 chevy converted to 466
Rated Cap: 84

there is a wire from you ignition switch to a solenoid in the switch panel that turns everything off when the ignition switch is turned off. An ignition switch isn't rated for the amps all that stuff draws, that's also why you have a HUGE alternator to feed all those little GREEDY little switches. You aren't getting that solenoid to turn on and it probably wasn't the ignition switch. There are 2 kinds of those solenoids, intermediate and constant. The kind on a ford product that is brown is intermediate, used to start the car or truck and nothing else. The bus kind have to be constant because if the intermediate kind is used the coil overheats and sticks, on usually. Most kids at the auto parts store don't know this so ask for the correct one if replacing. Carefully jump the 2 large terminals on your solenoid, key off is ok because you are the key now, and see if everything goes on, if so then that is the problem, if not then the wire going to it is broken somewhere or corroded. I fought this a lot until I realized some idiot put in an intermediate solenoid in and it worked sporadically. Oh ya, your lights, ignition, etc are direct wired from the ign switch, they are must haves, who need wipers and heat anyway. I am sure this helped so go find the problem. sportyrick
sportyrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2009, 02:30 PM   #7
Mini-Skoolie

hmmm thanks for the advice but im still pretty confused as to what the problem could be. The dashboard lights came up when i put the new key in, and as soon as i tried to start it, everything went out, like a fuse blew or something. none of the dash will ever light up when i try again.
And there are multiple fuse boxes it seems.....
but when i was testing the batteries this morning, one of them was completely dead (i have 2 12V)....this leads me to wonder what exactly the issue is. The other wasnt connected (i had to help a friend boost his car)....so something killed it in like, 2 days.
And there are 2 fuse boxes, one below the dash, near the steering column, and one behind the swing down panel with all the light switches, wiper switches, heaters etc.
1986 GMC Chevy Bluebird, shorty version...if this helps....
Old 04-18-2009, 09:21 PM   #8
Bus Nut

start with the basics. fully charged good batteries, cables +&- clean and tight at both ends.
the gm fusebox on the firewall is for the chassis and dash, the other fusebox is for the body wiring and is probably powered thru a relay that is switched by the ignition switch.
paul iossi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2009, 03:04 PM   #9
Mini-Skoolie

i checked out the 4 relays behind the left panel, (and the one under the hood) they were all good. there doesn't seem to be any power running through the solenoid...not sure why.....is there a fuse between the panel and the batteries? There is a solenoid of some sort for the 2 batteries, right between the two in the batt-box....
....but i still don't understand why there is no lights no nothing when i put the key in....this says to me MAJOR fault in the system...i know for sure there's no power running anywhere....but the fuses i've found seem to be okay.....is there an inline fuse somewhere? i havent been able to find much....
right on people thanks for your help so far.....
Old 11-06-2017, 04:41 PM   #10

Follow up question

Did you ever figure your situation out? I’m having the same problem. Nothing on the panel works.
Bus Shop Boutique is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2017, 06:13 PM   #11
Bus Geek

Year: 2002
Chassis: All American RE (A3RE)
Engine: Cummins ISC (8.3)
Rated Cap: 72
Hey Bus Shop,

I don't think that you are likely to get a response from Time crash. He has not been active on the board for 8 years.

The advice that was offered him may still be a good starting point anyway.

Make sure that your batteries are in good shape and clean all of your battery cable ends (both ends).
PNW_Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2017, 03:00 PM   #12
Bus Nut

You also might verify power w 8th a test light at the solenoids and the underhood fuse panel. I know most gm stuff has 2 or 3 fusible links at the battery connector by the starter.

Sent from my LGL64VL using Tapatalk
golfersmurf57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2020, 08:54 AM   #13

What if you have power coming into the j block but when you turn the key power stops.
Climber417 is offline   Reply With Quote