Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-04-2016, 09:55 PM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1997
Chassis: Blue Bird
Engine: Cummins 5.9
Rated Cap: 72
Wood Stove Brainstorm

Hey fellow nerds,

I am installing my wood stove here in the next week. I have some concerns as to the space in which I am putting it. I have a 28 x 28 space in which you will see the pictures. I have tile that I will be putting down to back my walls. Here is a link of the wood stove that I have and here are some photos of where my project stands. I will tile all the way up covering the bottom window but leaving the "openable" window free.

Concerns: top window getting too hot, space is WAY too small, I am a madman and think it will work

the photos: space 28 x 28 as well as the tile that I will be using

link: the wood stove link to home dildo. ( 15 deep x 22 wide x 33 tall) I know, she is kind of big.

Englander 1,200 sq. ft. Wood-Burning Stove-17-VL - The Home Depot

yeah, it'll work. sure, its gonna be great. uh huh.

CarterKnives is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2016, 10:15 PM   #2
Bus Nut

Year: 1984
Engine: 366 Big block Chevy! :) w/ Stick shift
Nice stove there. Also like those slate slabs "Run up to the lab and see what's on the slab!"

I ran my wood stove out the window and just replaced the space with a sheet of alluminum. Cut a hole for the 3" chimney and it works like a charm. It's fire so i love it but sometimes when it's burning correct it gets HOT fast and i have to restrict the air to bring it back down. Gets my heart pumping a whisker lol
Carytowncat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2016, 10:36 PM   #3
Almost There

Year: 1995
Chassis: Thomas Saf T Line
Engine: 8.3L Cummins
I would say we are all madmen...or women here. Your stove looks much more appropriately sized than mine. As for side reflectors im using hardie backer with corigated tin spaced off from it with a gap at the top and bottom so there is natural convetion keeping the tin and the hadrie backer cool and converting more of the heat in the wall in to heat in the air.

Here is mine.
zoomy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2016, 07:44 AM   #4
Bus Nut

Year: 1998
Coachwork: AmTran International
Chassis: 3800
Engine: Navistar 7.6L
Quote:
Originally Posted by zoomy View Post
As for side reflectors im using hardie backer with corigated tin spaced off from it with a gap at the top and bottom so there is natural convetion keeping the tin and the hadrie backer cool and converting more of the heat in the wall in to heat in the air.
Much gooder! the corrugated with gaps to and bottom is great idea.
I might have spaced it out 1/2" or so. Should make for some good natural draft movement of heat.
Put a small fan at ceiling or in walls up high to push that warm air elsewhere.
DoubleO7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2016, 08:11 AM   #5
Bus Nut

What keeps it off you in a wreck?

1998 Ford B700 Thomas body 65 passenger. 5.9 Cummins 12 valve with MT643 Transmission 123,000 miles.
Versatile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2016, 03:57 PM   #6
Skoolie

Year: 1990
Coachwork: Thomas/International
Chassis: 3700
Engine: 7.3
Rated Cap: 72
When I put the stove in my bus almost no heat touches the plate it sits on, lots of heat touches the walls, most of the heat touches the ceiling,
my stove is withing 6in of the walls and 18in of the ceiling, I added one inch of ceramic insulation (looks like fiberglass insulation) and one inch of air insulation, Even with the stove at 800 degrees my thermometer only reads a out 100 degrees in the air space near the ceiling.
I used spacers and chicken wire to keep the ceramic insulation out of the air insulation space.
Old 03-25-2022, 11:00 PM   #7
Mini-Skoolie

Hey everyone!!

I know this is an old thread, but I am reaching out everywhere to see if someone knows of a good heat-resistant grout. I am finding lots of high-heat mortars, but no grout for tiling around my woodstove... I know these bad boys can get reallyyyy hot so I want to do this right.

If anyone sees this and knows of a product I would greatly appreciate it!

Cheers
csulli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2022, 04:48 PM   #8
Bus Nut

Year: 1992
Coachwork: Bluebird Mini-Bird 24'
Chassis: Chevy P30
Engine: Chevy 6.2L Diesel
Quote:
Originally Posted by csulli View Post
Hey everyone!!

I know this is an old thread, but I am reaching out everywhere to see if someone knows of a good heat-resistant grout. I am finding lots of high-heat mortars, but no grout for tiling around my woodstove... I know these bad boys can get reallyyyy hot so I want to do this right.

If anyone sees this and knows of a product I would greatly appreciate it!

Cheers
Old thread, I know, but posting here for posterity.

Rutland Stove & Gasket Cement
Binds to metal and masonry
Albatross is offline   Reply With Quote