Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-17-2016, 02:07 PM   #1

Wyoming license requirements.

So I was thinking about doing a Skokie. Reason being is the heavy chassis compared to an rv. Their frames don't extend very far past the rear axle and any real load on the hitch will bend the frame extension. After reading here about registration and license requirements, I thought I better make a call.

Backstory; I used to drive over the road trucks. I currently drive haul trucks in a coal mine. Google cat 793 & 795, komatsu 930 & 830 if you want. So I'm pretty sure handeling a little school bus would be no problem.

The reason I had to make a call is I am now medically disqualified from a cdl. I found I can get a heavy equipment endorsement on my operators license. The problem comes from the vehicles "original intended use". That means I would have to have a cdl with passenger endorsement and air brakes if it has such! Even if I removed the extra seats! I haven't even got into insurance issues yet. It looks like I might be in the market for a box truck now.

With my job status currently in question, I might be moving anyway. What state do you live in and what kind of licensing do you need?

Cheepsk8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2016, 02:23 PM   #2
Bus Geek

Coachwork: 97 Bluebird TC1000 5.9
Oregon; you need a class "B" license for anything with air brakes, i.e. motor home, bus or medium truck. It's basically just an air brake endorsement and you can find the specifics online.
Robin97396 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2016, 02:24 PM   #3
Bus Crazy

Year: 2003
Coachwork: AmTran
Chassis: International 3000RE
Engine: T444E/AT545
Rated Cap: 75
Easiest way to answer this is to call Wyoming DMV. Ask them what's required to operate a Class A RV with air brakes. New Jersey, where I live, allows a Class D license (standard operators) to handle Class A RVs, even air equipped. However, it's nigh impossible to get non-commercial insurance for a skoolie in this state.

Captain Obvious on deviantArt
Scooternj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2016, 02:27 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooternj View Post
Easiest way to answer this is to call Wyoming DMV. Ask them what's required to operate a Class A RV with air brakes. New Jersey, where I live, allows a Class D license (standard operators) to handle Class A RVs, even air equipped. However, it's nigh impossible to get non-commercial insurance for a skoolie in this state.
I did call them. Just wondering what laws other states have if I loose my job.
Old 03-17-2016, 02:28 PM   #5
Bus Nut

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freight-shaker (Freightliner)
Engine: Cat 3126b 250 HP
Rated Cap: Only 1 seat
Arizona has no restrictions or special endorsements, provided you tag it as a non commercial vehicle.

My insurance is through Good Sam/National General.

Good luck and I hope you can achieve what you're wanting to do!
Docsgsxr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2016, 03:04 PM   #6
Bus Geek

The insurance thing is so confusing. Good Sam turned me down. State Farm picked me up.

Obviously it's good to have an air brake endorsement if you're going to travel regardless of what your state's rules allow you to do.
Old 03-17-2016, 03:17 PM   #7
Bus Nut

Year: 1995
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: TC2000
Engine: 5.9 Cummins 12v
Rated Cap: 78 Passenger
I've read that in most states, anything titled as an RV is fair game for a regular operators license. Ohio is for sure.

"What's the matter Col Sanders? Chicken?" -Dark Helmet

lu·di·crous [loo-di-kruhs]
adjective
causing laughter because of absurdity; provoking or deserving derision; ridiculous; laughable

viewtopic.php?f=9&t=11840
TheRainbowBoxer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2016, 05:24 PM   #8
Bus Geek

That seems reasonable but some places want some kind of air brake endorsement if that's applicable. I understood that even RV's in Oregon with air brakes needed the class "B" license. I could be wrong. Unless you get stopped here they'll probably never check.
Old 03-17-2016, 07:12 PM   #9

Air brake endorsement.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin97396 View Post
That seems reasonable but some places want some kind of air brake endorsement if that's applicable. I understood that even RV's in Oregon with air brakes needed the class "B" license. I could be wrong. Unless you get stopped here they'll probably never check.
I completely agree about requiring an air brake endorsement. You should know how they work.