Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-19-2010, 01:58 PM   #1
Bus Nut

Year: 1993
Coachwork: THOMAS
Chassis: SAFE-T-LINER
Engine: CAT 3116
Rated Cap: 83
Xantrex problem (or dumb operator error)

Just won a Xantrex Freedom 458 inverter/charger model 22 with optional 15 and 20 amp breakers.
on Ebay.

Guy said he tested the functions and everything works.
I receive it, unit powers up, green invert light is steady indicating invert mode.

Breakers are on, but NO AC OUTPUT. I have a 12 volt battery jump pack powering it.

All it's doing is a minor clicking. I would think I would hear the transformer buzzing and the cooling fan.

Any ideas from people who own these?

BUSBOZO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2010, 02:16 PM   #2
Bus Nut

Coachwork: AmTran
Chassis: IHC
Engine: Dt360
Rated Cap: 19
Re: Xantrex problem (or dumb operator error)

I don't own one, but try it with a 12 volt battery.
In fact, page 11 of the owner's manual states "Do not use car starting batteries."

Owner's manual here:
http://www.xantrex.com/web/id/49/p/docs ... roduct.asp
Old 03-19-2010, 08:23 PM   #3
Bus Nut

I did see that in the manual. I think they say not too use starting batteries because they are not designed for deep discharges. I would think just to test it out, I could use a regular battery.
Old 03-20-2010, 05:40 PM   #4
Ob1
Skoolie

Year: 1963
Coachwork: Grumman
Chassis: Chevrolet
Engine: Chevy 292 I-6

Are the breakers in the ON position?

Is the unit going into an error code? My Xantrex doesnt like low voltage, and a jump box probably wont feed a big inverter for long, if at all.

Probably best to attempt a more correct testing set-up, and read the manual one more time.
Ob1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2010, 07:08 PM   #5
Bus Nut

Yes, breakers are in "on" position. No error codes. The jump box I was using is quite large and used for jump starting buses at work. Maybe I'll try an 8D battery and see if that will fire it up.

I have not bought my battery bank yet.
Old 03-22-2010, 09:05 PM   #6
Bus Crazy

Did you put a load on the output, or are you just looking for AC volts with a high-impedance digital meter? A lot of inverters go into "standby" when they are enabled and there is no current draw. A meter is not enough to start it. The clicking may be the unit searching for a load?

For example, we had the power go out during a big game a couple of years ago, so I dragged in a 100 AH gel cell and my (non-Xantrex) inverter and plugged in the TV. The inverter would not start because the TV had shut off. I plugged in a 60-watt lamp, the inverter started, I turned on the TV, turned off the lamp, and we watched the rest of the game.

If you have a battery that measures 12-13 volts DC without dropping, and a 100-watt load on the AC side, and it still doesn't start, then I would worry.
Someone said "Making good decisions comes from experience, experience comes from bad decisions." I say there are three kinds of people: those who learn from their mistakes, those who learn from the mistakes of others, and those who never learn.
Redbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2010, 06:58 PM   #7
Bus Nut

BINGO REDBEAR!!!! Its funny, I was just going to post the outcome of the situation when I read your reply. Funny story... I was actually at the UPS counter ready to ship it back when I decided to hold off and see if the seller would split the cost of shipping it back. He said he would. So I figured I'd ship it out after work today.

Then this morning I ran into a another guy selling the same inverter on ebay. And in his description he stated he put a load on the AC output to test it. I thought to myself.. hmmmm I didn't try that yet. So just for the hell of it I emailed him and asked him a few questions and told him the symptoms and he said the same thing you did.

So I figured, what do I have to lose? Might as well try it. TAHH DAHHH!!! WORKS!!!

And would you believe that I spoke to a authorized xantrex service center and he said it sounds like the control and relay board! And it would cost around $400!

BOY AM I GLAD IT WORKS! I ONLY PAID $416.00 FOR IT!!