Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-26-2018, 02:28 PM   #1

Year: 2003
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Yellow paint job

Has anyone painted their bus a different shade of yellow? As long as it does not resemble school bus yellow and have the markings ,it should be legal right? I was thinking about doing a two tone paint job. White top and soft pastel yellow bottom

Rbrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2018, 02:38 PM   #2
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
all depends on the state.. Most states have it that the bus cant be 'national school bus yellow'.. but I would read the rules in your state as to whether they specify other illegal colors...
-Christopher
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2018, 04:11 PM   #3

Do you know which states say any color yellow for personal use is not permitted?
Rbrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2018, 04:37 PM   #4
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Genesis
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466/3060
Rated Cap: 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rbrown View Post
Do you know which states say any color yellow for personal use is not permitted?
I seriously doubt you will find any state that says you can't paint your vehicle the safest color for a vehicle, Yellow. Every car manufacturer offers yellow cars in their line up, none are forbidden in any states.
o1marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2018, 05:18 PM   #5
Bus Geek

Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Saf-T-Liner MVP ER
Engine: Cummins 6CTA8.3 Mechanical MD3060
Rated Cap: 46 Coach Seats, 40 foot
Quote:
Originally Posted by o1marc View Post
I seriously doubt you will find any state that says you can't paint your vehicle the safest color for a vehicle, Yellow. Every car manufacturer offers yellow cars in their line up, none are forbidden in any states.
The fact remains that you cannot have a yellow bus in many states, however "safe" people think that would be.

If you get a ticket for driving an illegal color, then you will have to prove it isn't "National School Bus Yellow". That could prove expensive and inconvenient.

Just a personal note here ...

I fully support states that demand a color change. American drivers are conditioned to give yellow buses a very wide berth, because their task is to transport our children.

I do not want to see that attitude watered down, in any way, by a belief that "It's just another RV conversion".

I want "Yellow Bus", to be seen as "School Bus" and I'm not happy that my state (Oklahoma), is one that doesn't demand a color change.

Build Thread
Twigg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2018, 05:23 PM   #6
Bus Geek

I doubt you are going to have any issues with a 2 tone white and yellow bus(other than National School Bus Yellow). Although there is at least one dick officer on every force.
Old 04-26-2018, 05:25 PM   #7
Bus Crazy

Year: 2001
Chassis: IH
Engine: T444E
Rated Cap: 14
Quote:
Official Code of Georgia, Section 40-8-116:
It shall be unlawful to operate:

(4) A vehicle which has been permanently converted from the purpose of transporting students to or from school or school activities without first having painted such vehicle some color other than the yellow required in subsection (b) of Code Section 40-8-110 and without having removed the stop arms, if any, and any other equipment required by Code Section 40-8-111.

(Section 40-8-110 dictates school buses must be National School Bus Chrome Yellow)
My belief is that you may paint a retired school bus yellow, as long as it is a different shade than "School Bus Yellow". The intent is to prevent confusion with an in-service school bus.
Brad_SwiftFur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2018, 05:40 PM   #8
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad_SwiftFur View Post
Official Code of Georgia, Section 40-8-116:
It shall be unlawful to operate:

(4) A vehicle which has been permanently converted from the purpose of transporting students to or from school or school activities without first having painted such vehicle some color other than the yellow required in subsection (b) of Code Section 40-8-110 and without having removed the stop arms, if any, and any other equipment required by Code Section 40-8-111.

(Section 40-8-110 dictates school buses must be National School Bus Chrome Yellow)
My belief is that you may paint a retired school bus yellow, as long as it is a different shade than "School Bus Yellow". The intent is to prevent confusion with an in-service school bus.
Old 04-26-2018, 06:57 PM   #9
Bus Geek

Year: 1997
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: TC2000 FE
Engine: Cummins 5.9
Rated Cap: 72
Anecdotally, in Florida, having a yellow bus seems to encourage people to drive even more rudely than they normally do. I've ridden motorcycles all my life and I'm used to people trying to kill me at every intersection, but in my short bus it seemed even worse. Like cutting off a bus is some new game that everyone is playing.
Old 04-27-2018, 09:05 AM   #10
Bus Nut

Year: 2004
Coachwork: Corbeil
Chassis: Ford
Engine: Ford PowerStroke Diesel 6.0
Rated Cap: GVWR 11,500
In New Jersey no part of the bus can remain yellow if you want to change over the title to an RV. I'm not sure what the requirements are if I were to be using it as a work vehicle or personal transport, though.
weboughtabus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2018, 10:06 AM   #11
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by weboughtabus View Post
In New Jersey no part of the bus can remain yellow if you want to change over the title to an RV. I'm not sure what the requirements are if I were to be using it as a work vehicle or personal transport, though.
Yellow, or School Bus Yellow?
Old 04-27-2018, 10:56 AM   #12
Bus Geek

Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Saf-T-Liner MVP ER
Engine: Cummins 6CTA8.3 Mechanical MD3060
Rated Cap: 46 Coach Seats, 40 foot
Quote:
It's a distinction without much of a difference.

You wanna be arguing the point with a State Trooper at the side of the road, then go for it.

Build Thread
Twigg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2018, 11:00 AM   #13
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twigg View Post
It's a distinction without much of a difference.

You wanna be arguing the point with a State Trooper at the side of the road, then go for it.
I love proving ignorant cops wrong. I'm sure if he looked at the law he would be arguing he would see it clearly states "international School Bus Yellow". If my color choice was yellow and any other color of yellow is legal, I would not not paint my bus yellow for fear of what some idiot cop might argue in the future. Keep a copy of the law in you bus to present when a LEO wants to argue the color.
Old 04-27-2018, 11:05 AM   #14
Bus Geek

Year: 1997
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: TC2000 FE
Engine: Cummins 5.9
Rated Cap: 72
Our scooter is yellow, our helmets are yellow, our riding gear is yellow. My bus is blue, highly reflective, and well lit.
Old 04-27-2018, 11:12 AM   #15
Bus Nut

Coachwork: Girardin Microbird MB-IV
Chassis: Ford E450
Engine: 7.3 Diesel
Rated Cap: 25
I was given a ton of respect while driving mine from AZ to ID after purchase and wish I could keep it. Seems like "Penske yellow" is awfully close second... That said, I called Idaho State Patrol and they confirmed it must be painted. Apparently, the one time an officer pulled over a school bus with signs, flashers & yellow paint, it was an "Offender" driving. I now understand the rationale.
peakbus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2018, 01:59 PM   #16
Bus Nut

Quote:
It can't be ANY shade of yellow.
Old 04-27-2018, 02:11 PM   #17
Bus Geek

Quote:
It can't be ANY shade of yellow.
I believe you are misinformed. It must be painted a color "distinctly different than National School Bus Chrome".
There are many yellows that are 'distinctly different".

REGULATION
Section 39:3-77.1 - Use of national school bus chrome paint on motor vehicles

Universal Citation: NJ Rev Stat § 39:3-77.1 (2013)

39:3-77.1. Use of national school bus chrome paint on motor vehicles
No motor vehicle with a capacity of more than 16 passengers shall be painted National School Bus Chrome, unless that vehicle is used to transport children to or from school, or a summer day camp, or any school connected activity.

Whenever any motor vehicle with a capacity of more than 16 passengers, which has been used for the transportation of children to or from school, or a summer day camp, or any school connected activity, is no longer used for these purposes, it shall be repainted a color distinctively different from National School Bus Chrome.

L.1971, c. 86, s. 1, eff. April 8, 1971.
Old 04-27-2018, 02:21 PM   #18
Bus Nut

Quote:
I believe you are misinformed. It must be painted a color "distinctly different than National School Bus Chrome".
There are many yellows that are 'distinctly different".
That may be the case for standard motor vehicles, but in order to have a bus titled as a motorhome, it is required that the bus be painted a color other than yellow. The MVC recently updated their site and it's more challenging than ever to find the information you need, but another poster on the site shared the MVC guidelines.
Old 04-27-2018, 02:50 PM   #19
Bus Geek

Quote:
That may be the case for standard motor vehicles, but in order to have a bus titled as a motorhome, it is required that the bus be painted a color other than yellow. The MVC recently updated their site and it's more challenging than ever to find the information you need, but another poster on the site shared the MVC guidelines.
Confusing contradictory laws. It seems you only are required to change it from yellow if it's an RV/MH, any other configuration says I can paint it yellow.
Old 04-27-2018, 03:12 PM   #20
Bus Nut

Quote:
Confusing contradictory laws. It seems you only are required to change it from yellow if it's an RV/MH, any other configuration says I can paint it yellow.
Extremely confusing! Although the statute you referenced is from 1971, so I'm sure that'll be updated at some point to make National School Bus Chrome off-limits.

Tags
color, legal, paint job, painting