Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-21-2017, 01:18 PM   #1
Almost There

you have a skoolie for sale?

Hello!

I am looking to buy a long 34" - 38" Skoolie, pusher or front engine like Bluebird etc

First and formost **** I Pay Cash *****

Before you offer me your bus, please read all I mentioned below, so you have an good understanding what I am looking for, Thank You

minimum requirements:
please read carefully before you offer me a BUS because I will not buy without checking all the point made as follows.

I will buy only in lower states , like Nevada, Texas, Florida Sough California etc.

1) year 1990 - 1999 only if the bus is in very good shape,
150K miles or less,as little rust as possible

2) year 2000 - 2010 good shape and all service done 100K miles or less,
no rust

3) semi converted, at least 95% of all seats have to be removed already

4) if the bus is converted to a more finished state, I need to be able to see if insulation is done preferable picture of the progress of the work..

5) Tires have to be in very good conditions or better new, want go with bad tires, dont forget the presents off a Spare Tire, Jack and tools to change tire, dont tell me its to difficult to change tire, not to difficult for me!

6) all service bills, engine and transmission have to be up to date

7) I would not accept a broken this and broken that, but easy to fix and not expensive, because if this is the case, the seller better fix it and up the prize tag for it..

please make sure that you have a clear title and no hidden damages before you offer me your BUS!
No offense, but I come from far and dont like to deal with unexpected stuff, I pay real money you want have any problem to spend it from the minute I give it to you,
a) why do I mention this, I expect the same from your bus when you accept my money

10) if anything I said, is not understood or unclear, please dont hesitate and ask..I will not hesitate and ask either!

if you think this was not polite enough for you to say what I just said, deal with it or dont offer your bus..this is a business not a joke!

The seller will certainly not give me a warrant, so and I would not ask for it..so I like to make it clear, before the fact and not after!

Thanks for your offer if you have one!

cheers
Rainer
PS: have a great weekend

meabus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2017, 04:25 PM   #2
Skoolie

Year: 97
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: BadMuthaFuka
Engine: Cummins 5.9
Rated Cap: All of us
check my build pics , theres a link below.
145k on a t444e rig is 2004, brand new rubber all around, tranny flushed in az like 5k miles ago.
30k cash firm
I'm in Oregon.
Old 04-21-2017, 05:52 PM   #3
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
I'll take $35,000 for RYO and throw in some brand new tires.
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2017, 07:25 PM   #4
Bus Geek

Coachwork: 97 Bluebird TC1000 5.9
Boats are about a thousand dollars a foot.
Old 04-21-2017, 07:34 PM   #5
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin97396 View Post
Boats are about a thousand dollars a foot.
And then- Bust Out Another Thousand!
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2017, 08:09 PM   #6
Bus Crazy

Year: 2001
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: All American
Engine: 8.3 Cummins ISC
Rated Cap: 75
I wouldn't consider buying any school bus built after 2004 or so. All the buses I drive at work are 2013+ and they all have issues with the emissions equipment and bad wiring that prevents the bus from functioning.

The early EGR buses were problematic and the DEF ones are even worse.
WIbluebird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2017, 08:16 PM   #7
Almost There

Quote:
Originally Posted by jester View Post
145k on a t444e rig is 2004, brand new rubber all around, tranny flushed in az like 5k miles ago.
30k cash firm
I'm in Oregon.
very nice, thanks for sharing
Old 04-21-2017, 08:17 PM   #8
Almost There

Quote:
Originally Posted by EastCoastCB View Post
And then- Bust Out Another Thousand!
and an other thousand
Old 04-22-2017, 09:13 AM   #9
Almost There

Quote:
30k cash firm
I'm in Oregon.
what would you say how much work is still do be done?
Old 04-22-2017, 09:40 AM   #10
Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by meabus View Post
what would you say how much work is still do be done?
ive since finished shower, added 10 gallon marine hot water heater with a glycol loop in it (runs off my coolants heat while rig running 180 deg no prob). and done some other odds and ends.
I would like to put kick ass solar setup in it, awnings, and a roof rack or 2. maybe some more interior led lighting and swap all the old exterior lights to led and put flood light on outside. install the ion drive if it will ever get here from amazon....
we have been full timing in it for 10 + months now with fam of 5, it is even better than we first figured it would be. I want to build another one!!! I figure it took me solo 200 hours to build it.
Old 04-22-2017, 10:04 AM   #11
Almost There

Quote:
ive since finished shower, added 10 gallon marine hot water heater with a glycol loop in it (runs off my coolants heat while rig running 180 deg no prob). and done some other odds and ends.
I would like to put kick ass solar setup in it, awnings, and a roof rack or 2. maybe some more interior led lighting and swap all the old exterior lights to led and put flood light on outside. install the ion drive if it will ever get here from amazon....
we have been full timing in it for 10 + months now with fam of 5, it is even better than we first figured it would be. I want to build another one!!! I figure it took me solo 200 hours to build it.

what you saying is you estimate 200 more hours to finish the bus?
Old 04-22-2017, 10:07 AM   #12
Bus Geek

Year: 1946
Coachwork: Chevrolet/Wayne
Chassis: 1- 1/2 ton
Engine: Cummins 4BT
Quote:
Originally Posted by WIbluebird View Post
I wouldn't consider buying any school bus built after 2004 or so. All the buses I drive at work are 2013+ and they all have issues with the emissions equipment and bad wiring that prevents the bus from functioning.

The early EGR buses were problematic and the DEF ones are even worse.

Like all the new cars. It's what the engineers and geniuses in Detroit call...Progress.
Tango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2017, 10:18 AM   #13
Almost There

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tango View Post
Like all the new cars. It's what the engineers and geniuses in Detroit call...Progress.

thats why they study, "how to make your live miserable"
Old 04-22-2017, 06:38 PM   #14
Skoolie

She's done now, just if you wanted extra
Old 04-22-2017, 07:12 PM   #15
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
if you find an 04-07 in good operating shape.. then no issues to buy it.. the EGR is wither working perfectly... or hasnt done any damage to the engine.. and you can still update it.. esp in the case of the VT-365.. easy update...

08 and newer i wouodnt touch... DEF systems STILL give BRAND NEW busses issues... let alone the first few years of it that we will find here in the forums...

Mea:
another avenue you have to look if you want a Clean slate Ready to convert, is a Dealer.. there is more than one that will paint your bus, Remove as many or as few seats as you want and will send it out to a shop for a full-service.. or recommend a Local shop to fully service a bus..

some dealers have higher prices than others for this kind of work..

or there are forum members that posted here which you could hire to get your Bus ready for your needs.. and save quite a bit of money over a dealership doing it.

you may also find a shop in your area that can take a bone-stock school bus and do what you want to it as well.. locally where you are so you can see and watch..

I know the company that painted mine does all kinds of stuff for people's busses... they have a couple still-in-service school busses now that they are replacing the floors and then re-seating for the school's next purpose.. you may be able to find similar shops.. search for Coach painting / Bus painting, etc.. most major cities have a place where bands, schools, activity busses, racing groups, etc are worked on and touched up..
-Christopher
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2017, 08:28 AM   #16
Almost There

Quote:
Originally Posted by cadillackid View Post
if you find an 04-07 in good operating shape.. then no issues to buy it.. the EGR is wither working perfectly... or hasnt done any damage to the engine.. and you can still update it.. esp in the case of the VT-365.. easy update...

08 and newer i wouodnt touch... DEF systems STILL give BRAND NEW busses issues... let alone the first few years of it that we will find here in the forums...

Mea:
another avenue you have to look if you want a Clean slate Ready to convert, is a Dealer.. there is more than one that will paint your bus, Remove as many or as few seats as you want and will send it out to a shop for a full-service.. or recommend a Local shop to fully service a bus..

some dealers have higher prices than others for this kind of work..

or there are forum members that posted here which you could hire to get your Bus ready for your needs.. and save quite a bit of money over a dealership doing it.

you may also find a shop in your area that can take a bone-stock school bus and do what you want to it as well.. locally where you are so you can see and watch..

I know the company that painted mine does all kinds of stuff for people's busses... they have a couple still-in-service school busses now that they are replacing the floors and then re-seating for the school's next purpose.. you may be able to find similar shops.. search for Coach painting / Bus painting, etc.. most major cities have a place where bands, schools, activity busses, racing groups, etc are worked on and touched up..
-Christopher
Christofer, thanks for your advice, I shall look into it
I like to ask you, can you decipher for me the following
EGR and ESP I am not native english speaking and technical term I hear first time I am pretty unfamiliar with
the EGR is wither working perfectly... or hasnt done any damage to the engine.. and you can still update it.. esp in the case of the VT-365.. easy update...
Old 04-23-2017, 08:38 AM   #17
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
Quote:
Originally Posted by meabus View Post
Christofer, thanks for your advice, I shall look into it
I like to ask you, can you decipher for me the following
EGR and ESP I am not native english speaking and technical term I hear first time I am pretty unfamiliar with
the EGR is wither working perfectly... or hasnt done any damage to the engine.. and you can still update it.. esp in the case of the VT-365.. easy update...

the EGR is "Exhaust Gas Recirculation". it selectively (computer controlled)takes some of the "exhaust" and recirculates it back through the engine to 'reburn' any unburned fuel that may be present. its purpose is to reduce the bad emissions of the exhaust.

in the International VT-365 engine (and ford Powerstroke 6.0), it was a known failure point.. EGR or the Cooling device that was designed to protect the EGR Valve from excessive heat.

my use of the letters esp, just means especially..

for the VT-365, there were updates produced, factory and aftermarket that could be installed on the engine to fix this issue as long as the engine wasnt damaged already.

the VT-365 and ford 6.0 were found in years 2004-2007 on School busses..

-Christopher
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2017, 02:49 PM   #18
Almost There

Quote:
Originally Posted by cadillackid View Post
the EGR is "Exhaust Gas Recirculation". it selectively (computer controlled)takes some of the "exhaust" and recirculates it back through the engine to 'reburn' any unburned fuel that may be present. its purpose is to reduce the bad emissions of the exhaust.

in the International VT-365 engine (and ford Powerstroke 6.0), it was a known failure point.. EGR or the Cooling device that was designed to protect the EGR Valve from excessive heat.

my use of the letters esp, just means especially..

for the VT-365, there were updates produced, factory and aftermarket that could be installed on the engine to fix this issue as long as the engine wasnt damaged already.

the VT-365 and ford 6.0 were found in years 2004-2007 on School busses..

-Christopher

Basically what you saying is, 2003 and earlier I would not find these issues.
Very good to know, I guess more I ask more I am getting to know
I had no clue
thanks
any advice is very welcome

-rainer

PS: I will start checking on dealers, may cost more, or even less at the end, one never knows