Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 03-01-2018, 10:29 AM   #1
Mini-Skoolie
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Location: Arlington, for now
Posts: 57
Year: 1987
Coachwork: GMC
Your kids safety

I am unsure which route I want to take in making sure my 3 yr old is secured in the bus while we are driving.

I found some SUV seats for free, but they need seatbelts which is easy enough. But If I install them then I either lose space on the bus or have to sit on car seats as my couch.

Can they be sideways or must the seats be facing the front of the bus? Which would go right behind the driver.

Did you build any of your own seats and attach seatbelts to it? Again, which way do yours face?

Are there some of you that don't worry about seatbelts at all?

What was your approach and how well do you like it? Would you change anything?

Thanks for the help !!
GypsySkool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2018, 10:42 AM   #2
Skoolie
 
bubb, the real one's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: central texas
Posts: 115
Year: 1990
Coachwork: Thomas/International
Chassis: 3700
Engine: 7.3
Rated Cap: 72
child seat

just to get the conversation started,
First make sure you have everything in the bus secured, dont want your fridge flying around in a wreck,
How about finding a couch that you can bold down and that also has space for you install some cable mounts for a child car seat, some kind of cable or straps that are bolted to the floor of the bus.
__________________
my bus thread, http://www.skoolie.net/forums/showthread.php?t=8860&highlight=bubb
bubb, the real one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2018, 10:45 AM   #3
Mini-Skoolie
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Location: Arlington, for now
Posts: 57
Year: 1987
Coachwork: GMC
Quote:
Originally Posted by bubb, the real one View Post
just to get the conversation started,
First make sure you have everything in the bus secured, dont want your fridge flying around in a wreck,
How about finding a couch that you can bold down and that also has space for you install some cable mounts for a child car seat, some kind of cable or straps that are bolted to the floor of the bus.
Haha no I would not want the fridge to fly, it is already bolted to the bus there is nothing on the bus right now that moves and we know to make sure all cabinets, doors, and drawers are latched and secure.
GypsySkool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2018, 10:57 AM   #4
Mini-Skoolie
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Location: Arlington, for now
Posts: 57
Year: 1987
Coachwork: GMC
We are planning on building a slide out sofa bed, just not sure which way it should face and how is the best way to attach the seat belts.
GypsySkool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2018, 11:22 AM   #5
Bus Geek
 
o1marc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Location: Dawsonville, Ga.
Posts: 6,492
Year: 1999
Coachwork: Genesis
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466/3060
Rated Cap: 77
It is safest with the baby seat facing backwards, never sideways.
o1marc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2018, 01:19 PM   #6
Mini-Skoolie
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Location: Arlington, for now
Posts: 57
Year: 1987
Coachwork: GMC
Quote:
Originally Posted by o1marc View Post
It is safest with the baby seat facing backwards, never sideways.
She is 3 so her seat is positioned in my car forward facing.

So if I plan on putting the seat belts on the sofa we are making, I should put it facing the front of the bus instead of along the side of the bus like in RV's? There is a bunch of cushion on her head piece from it being side crash tested and I was assuming if we got into an accident then her head would only.move to the side and hit all the cushion.
Is that wrong thinking? Do you think that might cause more whiplash or sprains from the head going to the head instead of out front?

Does anyone have pictures of their child restraint seats in their RV to further discuss options and best placement?

Thank y'all for assisting in this.
GypsySkool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2018, 03:12 PM   #7
Bus Geek
 
Robin97396's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Location: Willamina, Oregon
Posts: 6,409
Coachwork: 97 Bluebird TC1000 5.9
There are school bus seats with fold down baby seats built in them. Not pretty, but effective.

I have my passenger seats facing the rear of the bus, and they have the original seat belts bolted on to the frame of the seats. As long as the seat frame is bolted down everything is secure, and there's no question of safety using bus approved child seats. These baby equipped bus seats are frequently available on ebay or where bus junkyards are.
__________________
Robin
Nobody's Business
Robin97396 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2018, 06:58 PM   #8
Bus Nut
 
Jdawgsfanasty's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Posts: 973
Quote:
Originally Posted by GypsySkool View Post
She is 3 so her seat is positioned in my car forward facing.

So if I plan on putting the seat belts on the sofa we are making, I should put it facing the front of the bus instead of along the side of the bus like in RV's? There is a bunch of cushion on her head piece from it being side crash tested and I was assuming if we got into an accident then her head would only.move to the side and hit all the cushion.
Is that wrong thinking? Do you think that might cause more whiplash or sprains from the head going to the head instead of out front?

Does anyone have pictures of their child restraint seats in their RV to further discuss options and best placement?

Thank y'all for assisting in this.
Personally I'd go with the SUV seat or a belt-equipped bus seat facing forward and have a"crash wall" behind the seat...but that's just me

Sent from my VS500PP using Tapatalk
Jdawgsfanasty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2018, 08:42 PM   #9
Mini-Skoolie
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Location: Arlington, for now
Posts: 57
Year: 1987
Coachwork: GMC
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdawgsfanasty View Post
Personally I'd go with the SUV seat or a belt-equipped bus seat facing forward and have a"crash wall" behind the seat...but that's just me

Sent from my VS500PP using Tapatalk
I have some SUV seats waiting for me to pick them up so that part is all set.
What is a crash wall? Is that just a wall (wood?) directly behind the seat?
GypsySkool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2018, 09:27 PM   #10
Bus Nut
 
Jdawgsfanasty's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Posts: 973
Quote:
Originally Posted by GypsySkool View Post
I have some SUV seats waiting for me to pick them up so that part is all set.
What is a crash wall? Is that just a wall (wood?) directly behind the seat?
Yeah, basically...there's a YT channel..."blue collar preacher" that shows a great example

Sent from my VS500PP using Tapatalk
Jdawgsfanasty is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
babies, children, safety, seating

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:44 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.