Old 06-25-2009, 09:20 PM   #11
Bus Nut

Year: 1992
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Ford B700
Engine: 5.9L Cummins
Rated Cap: 65
Re: Your opinions?

Ill add in fairness that the 444 wouldnt be a total deal breaker, some people have had great luck with them, Just comes down to price and other available choices.
kamoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2009, 08:51 AM   #12
Skoolie

Year: 1998
Coachwork: International
Chassis: Amtram
Engine: Navstar 190
Rated Cap: 77

Good stuff all around- thanks all
Old 06-26-2009, 09:55 AM   #13
Bus Nut

Year: 1991
Coachwork: ward
Chassis: IH
Engine: dt466
Rated Cap: 72

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russell
I think Case is a bit misinformed, but thats cool thats what we are all about. Glow plugs are simply heaters that heat the air entering the combustion chamber . All diesel engines fire on compressing the fuel and air to make it go boom . In my early years working in the family marine service we used ether a lot, all the engines in our boats were oil sling'n Detroits supercharged two cycle demons 71 and 96 series . If and when you can you should avoid using either if at all possible,engines become addicted to it. And never ever use it in conjuction with glow plugs when trying to start a engine in cold weather. It is most dangerous for the person spraying the either in the intake.God bless and have a safe day. Russell
Ya, what he said.
I don't know what the phenomenon is, but constant use of either on some of the diesel motors I've delt with, makes them become either whores.
My 91 dt466 is only compression fired. It has a button on the dash for an either juice, but was disconnected. I talked tith the mechanic that had serviced it (for 12 years) and he stated, the county chose to disable that option on the advice of the lead mech. They did install block heaters. In the winter they turned on the heaters 1 hour before the drivers came in, and everything fired up, every morning. Winter temps. here start out around minus 10 in the mornings. (then sometimes go down).
I started mine several times this winter without plugging in the block heater and had no problems, even after sitting for a month at a time.
Old 06-26-2009, 01:23 PM   #14
Bus Nut

Year: 1992
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Ford B700
Engine: 5.9L Cummins

I didnt say that there are absolutely no 7.3 engines that will make it over 300k, Ive drove one on a regular basis with 350k that ran like a top and another truck with the 8.3 Cummins that would not stay out of the shop, always exceptions to everything. I worked at UHaul about 8 years ago who probably owns (at least at one time) more vehicles with the 7.3 NA than anyone, the later T444E is basically the same block and design with a different fuel system, a turbo and other minor modifications over the years. These motors failure rates were about the same as the gassers but a whole lot more to repair/replace and initially purchase so back to gas engines they went. Everywhere I have been the 7.3 was inconsistent, some were good some were bad and everything was late model within 3-4 yrs old tops. We went 2 for 2 @ 100k in 2 different service trucks, tow trucks with issues and now where I am at the last 2 7.3 service trucks both had motors replaced under 150k, now we have moved onto the duramax with its own share of heartaches. In college I also worked at a large bus yard with alot of the T444s as well as DT360s, DT408s, DT466s, older 7.3 NA, a handful of spare 6.9s and even 2 old 9.0s, the DTs just didnt have as many issues. I dont collect and analyze data on these so this is simply my opinion based on my past experiences but after re-reading the initial post you cant beat a 97 RE for $2k, dont think I would have passed it up.

About the only thing to watch out for that will hurt these is when you change your coolant be sure to put in the anticavitation additive. Keep the fuel clean, seperator drained and let it warm up a minute before you take off or start into the throttle and idle a minute before you shut it down. Congratulations on the new bus!! Have some fun with it!!
kamoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2009, 02:35 AM   #15
Skoolie

Year: 90
Coachwork: blue bird
Chassis: International
Engine: Navistar Straight 6 Turbo

I knew virtually nothing about diesel motors untill i started posting here. the biggest thing I have learned is that you don;t want to run them out of fuel......what a pain in the ass to get it started after I did that!
in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover." Mark Twain
newbusser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2009, 09:34 AM   #16
Skoolie

Year: 1998
Coachwork: International
Chassis: Amtram
Engine: Navstar 190
Rated Cap: 77

Heh oh yeah don't do that. When we are in the truck always keep a 5 gal jug of fuel. It's a pain priming the filter on the side of the road in 114 degree heat- not that I ever had to The things you learn out on the road....