Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 07-30-2016, 10:09 AM   #1
Bus Crazy
 
milkmania's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: Oklahoma aka "God's blind spot"
Posts: 2,201
Year: 1989
Coachwork: 1853FC International/Navistar
Chassis: 35' Retired Air Force Ambulance
Engine: DT466, MT643
Rated Cap: 6 souls and a driver
YouTube video explaining RV Electrical Systems

It may have already been posted... But I found these videos helpful

They're not horribly long, but I thought I'd pass them along
Video 1) http://youtu.be/yMeNcRGVcUE
Video 2) http://youtu.be/v6s9yeT1Hd0
Video 3) http://youtu.be/iZFmCjpguYc
Video 4) http://youtu.be/rfKsSCA5cS8
Video 5) http://youtu.be/IGKkHhHlTOM
Video 6) http://youtu.be/JWmalBWVQsQ
Video 7) http://youtu.be/EfgVdVsjJSI
__________________
I once complained I had no shoes....
Until I met a man with no feet
milkmania is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2016, 10:57 AM   #2
Bus Crazy
 
ol trunt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: So Cal
Posts: 1,904
Year: 1935
Coachwork: Superior
Chassis: Chevy
Engine: 317 ci/tid / Isuzu
MM, good post to get the discussion going. Like you I reviewed the 7 chapters. I found the discussion of volts and amps to be the most informative.

Here is another vid which goes into a more hands on look at RV electrical systems--I'm sure there are many more. Jack

ol trunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2016, 01:20 PM   #3
Bus Crazy
 
milkmania's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: Oklahoma aka "God's blind spot"
Posts: 2,201
Year: 1989
Coachwork: 1853FC International/Navistar
Chassis: 35' Retired Air Force Ambulance
Engine: DT466, MT643
Rated Cap: 6 souls and a driver
Quote:
Originally Posted by ol trunt View Post
MM, good post to get the discussion going. Like you I reviewed the 7 chapters. I found the discussion of volts and amps to be the most informative.

Here is another vid which goes into a more hands on look at RV electrical systems--I'm sure there are many more. Jack

Thanks for the link!
I originally started my search when I was looking for a transfer switch.
I was really shocked how inexpensive they were. The ones I was looking at were in the $100 - $200 range. I figured they'd start at $350 and go up as most electrical equipment does!

Example:
Powermax 50 Amp Automatic RV Generator Transfer Switch PMTS 50 | eBay

Since I know less about electrical than I know about Diesel engines (shinola), I thought I'd ask a few that may know.
1) I want to use that Generac 15,000 watt, 60amp, 120/240volt gen head... How do I run through the transfer switch with 120 AND 240, so I can run clothes dryer very infrequently (single full time RV'er) but, will operate two 13,500 btu roof air units pulling 15amps each.

2) I've decided against trying a 240volt mini-split simply because RV sites won't have 220v shore power.

3) anybody care to give description on how they're powering their bus? I'm not so much interested in solar yet, (but can see it in the future)
__________________
I once complained I had no shoes....
Until I met a man with no feet
milkmania is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2016, 02:50 PM   #4
Bus Nut
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Location: Garden State (rural NJ)
Posts: 383
Quote:
Originally Posted by milkmania View Post
Thanks for the link!
I originally started my search when I was looking for a transfer switch.
I was really shocked how inexpensive they were. The ones I was looking at were in the $100 - $200 range. I figured they'd start at $350 and go up as most electrical equipment does!

Example:
Powermax 50 Amp Automatic RV Generator Transfer Switch PMTS 50 | eBay

Since I know less about electrical than I know about Diesel engines (shinola), I thought I'd ask a few that may know.
1) I want to use that Generac 15,000 watt, 60amp, 120/240volt gen head... How do I run through the transfer switch with 120 AND 240, so I can run clothes dryer very infrequently (single full time RV'er) but, will operate two 13,500 btu roof air units pulling 15amps each.

2) I've decided against trying a 240volt mini-split simply because RV sites won't have 220v shore power
3) anybody care to give description on how they're powering their bus? I'm not so much interested in solar yet, (but can see it in the future)
Look around a bit. Very affordable 120V mini-splits are now available.
BusFiend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2016, 03:16 PM   #5
Bus Crazy
 
milkmania's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: Oklahoma aka "God's blind spot"
Posts: 2,201
Year: 1989
Coachwork: 1853FC International/Navistar
Chassis: 35' Retired Air Force Ambulance
Engine: DT466, MT643
Rated Cap: 6 souls and a driver
Quote:
Originally Posted by BusFiend View Post
Look around a bit. Very affordable 120V mini-splits are now available.
Been seeing them, and they're VERY APPEALING!
But, then you're limited on the location for indoor unit... Either front or rear bulkhead or an interior right angle wall.

It's not crossed off my list, for sure!
My shower pan is about 46" square, so I know I'll be building a wall around it, so I could incorporate the mini-split on the other side of shower walls... Possibly both bathroom walls facing front and rear of coach
__________________
I once complained I had no shoes....
Until I met a man with no feet
milkmania is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2017, 09:39 PM   #6
Mini-Skoolie
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Location: Northern Virginia
Posts: 28
Year: 2005
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Frieghtliner
Engine: 300hp MBenz
Rated Cap: 71 person
very informative, thank you...
05FrieghtlinerThomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2017, 09:39 PM   #7
Mini-Skoolie
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Location: Northern Virginia
Posts: 28
Year: 2005
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Frieghtliner
Engine: 300hp MBenz
Rated Cap: 71 person
referring to the 7 videos..
05FrieghtlinerThomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


» Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:43 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.