Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-04-2017, 12:43 AM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

Zen Bus? Shoji screens?

Has anyone considered or tried putting shoji screens up and making a mobile teahouse here? I'm so scared to put it all up without any similar reference because my imagination sucks and I'm worried it will look nowhere near as cool as it seems like it should be and it's going to take forever to do all these windows.

Here's the kindof style of windows I was going for, anyone keep a lot of windows and want to plug their album so I can see how various layouts look like with tons of them? My husband wants No windows (messes with daytime gaming visibility) and I want all the windows ever for that sweet panaromauc view.

If i pull the wifey veto and it looks like **** I'm going to feellike a complete asshole. I know there's a million reasons they would be far more practical covered.. and only want them for cosmetics (and sunlight) .. so if it looks stupid you see my dilemma?

Anyone who can point me to feasible references would be our hero.

Sidenote: anyone else rocking a projector want to show us your layout? Just curious.
Attached Thumbnails
c8994e8cfa4ea12f0566d90192aea004.jpg  
Attached Images

Eden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2017, 03:46 AM   #2
Traveling

Year: 2003
Coachwork: BlueBird
Chassis: TC2000
Engine: 5.9L Cummins
Rated Cap: '00
Welcome !

That is a pretty chill look you are going for. Sounds relaxing and peaceful.

What is the bus for? Is it for exploring nature or building a bitching mobile diesel-powered gaming rig? You two need to decide what you want this bus to do. Maybe you could use 2 layers of shades- your rice paper layer and a blackout layer for projector time?

Your gamer would love my bus- no windows.

Click image for larger version

Name:	painted.jpg
Views:	3
Size:	76.1 KB
ID:	17588
Rusty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2017, 07:29 AM   #3
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
while skoolies with lots of wimdows look really neat, the look you are goiomg for i think would be better achievable on a coach bus.. think of how the coaches have large singfle panel windows.. those would be so easy to hang asian style panels in drint of and have look really neat.. not that you cant do it in a school bus.. in fact I think its very possible in a school bus..
-Christopher
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2017, 04:11 PM   #4
Bus Geek

Year: 86
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Ford B700
Engine: 8.2
Rated Cap: 60 bodies
I don't have pics of it but there is a local to me school bus that runs around to the food truck rodeos and flea market stuff pained as a bumblebee but they are actually a bake bottle and brew gig and at night there awning's on three sides are used as multi screen movie projectors.
But that's more for the brew consumers who should use the space to stay safely?
Jolly Roger bus 223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2017, 01:21 AM   #5
Mini-Skoolie

Hubby loves the blackout bus! I love the paint job!

You're right about the compromise. My idea waa to do exactly like what you said, like in the picture where some of the windows look shoji but are actually sliding blackout panels.

Man a coach would have been perfect for me, I love the huge windows. On this one we chose skoolie because it was the only vehicle we couls think of where we knew for sure it was safe to travel with kids.. once we looked up statistics on rv accidents we almost decided not to travel at all.

Speaking of which, has anyone here been in a skoolie wreck yet on the highway? What was the damage like?

We had a sleepy 18 wheeler slam into the kids' bedroom while we were getting snacks at Loves .. and weren't even sure what had happened because it just jiggled us a little bit and crunched up the back wheel well. And then while we were travelling the tornados loved us, we could tell there was a tornado passing because the bus rocked a little. Cool! Has anyone else experienced that? When travelling do you get out and run inside a building during tornado weather or just hide from the glass and try to find someplace least bouncy in case we go to Oz?

The brew bus is fantastic, I was thinking it would be awesome to do a dine in food truck one day!
Eden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2017, 12:03 PM   #6
Bus Crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eden View Post
Has anyone considered or tried putting shoji screens up and making a mobile teahouse here? I'm so scared to put it all up without any similar reference because my imagination sucks and I'm worried it will look nowhere near as cool as it seems like it should be and it's going to take forever to do all these windows.

Here's the kindof style of windows I was going for, anyone keep a lot of windows and want to plug their album so I can see how various layouts look like with tons of them? My husband wants No windows (messes with daytime gaming visibility) and I want all the windows ever for that sweet panaromauc view.

If i pull the wifey veto and it looks like **** I'm going to feellike a complete asshole. I know there's a million reasons they would be far more practical covered.. and only want them for cosmetics (and sunlight) .. so if it looks stupid you see my dilemma?

Anyone who can point me to feasible references would be our hero.

Sidenote: anyone else rocking a projector want to show us your layout? Just curious.
Quick tip: You can get shoji screen material in a zillion prints that's made out of stuff that looks like Tyvek (nonwoven plastic fabric/sheeting) when you get close. You can put holes in rice paper by looking at it; it won't survive a bus.

My thought would be to make frames out of some material-of-choice and cover them with the zen tyvek, then glue strong button magnets to the other side. You could put them up, take them down, and move them around at will.
dan-fox is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
asian, projector, shoji, teahouse, zen