Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-06-2016, 07:19 PM   #1
Bus Crazy

Year: 1995
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: All-American R/E
Engine: 8.3 Cummins
Rated Cap: 72
'01 ih

NY has the most stringent DOT requirements for a bus. I remember being sidelined for a rip in a seat. Rust on an interior panel, etc.

2001 International School Bus Bluebird Body T444E Engine Air Brakes | eBay

opus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2016, 07:35 PM   #2
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by opus View Post
NY has the most stringent DOT requirements for a bus. I remember being sidelined for a rip in a seat. Rust on an interior panel, etc.

2001 International School Bus Bluebird Body T444E Engine Air Brakes | eBay
That's a great price for the bus. NC wants $3750 for their surplus units. Question regarding buses from NY: as you mentioned, NY has very stringent maintenance and inspection codes for buses. Would this mean then that most buses being pulled from service for sale in NY have had a thorough inspection and any known mechanical issues fixed or noted? Barring expected rust, which is generally no big deal, you could expect to get a bus that is in better shape mechanically, possibly with lower miles, because of the stringent requirements than a bus from another state (such as NC) that they tend to run into the ground before selling?
Seems plausible due to the stricter rules but wanted to see if anyone knows if this is actually the case (better mechanical condition of the buses). Thanks.
dgorila1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2016, 07:58 PM   #3
Bus Crazy

Year: 1995
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: All-American R/E
Engine: 8.3 Cummins
Rated Cap: 72
I forget all the details but everything we got rid of was due to age. They wouldnt let anything slip. I've never seen a bus there that had any rust to speak of.

This was in upstate NY. Moral of the story, if you can find a bus just pulled out of service and it was operating that year, I would think you'd be good.

All the buses from our district went to Guatemala. I dont think we did anything regarding miles. I think they timed out first.

When I did my 10 yrs there we had just 2 gas buses left and had gone to new 9L buses. When I left, the DT360's with the automatics were coming in. Probably around '97.
opus is offline   Reply With Quote