Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-29-2017, 11:03 AM   #21
Bus Crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrandFatherTime View Post
Serpent and Cowlitzcoach,
I have located the build plate (job number). I was looking for something a little more substantial with a few more numbers, but this is it... 2105.
I then began thinking...
What is the VIN # listed on the title? It is 34859.
Any idea where I would find this number? Because the title is Arizona, and I am selling in New Mexico, I (or the new owner) will need to get a "VIN inspection" and probably need to know where to direct the inspector to look.
Thanks for your help and info!

I have sent a query to my friend who has lots of Crown information about who may have owned 2105 originally.

IIRC, the serial number (no VIN on vehicles as old as that Crown) is stamped in the frame rail just above the engine on the driver's side.

cowlitzcoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2017, 04:12 AM   #22
Bus Nut

Year: 1989
Coachwork: Crown Coach
Chassis: 40ft 3-axle 10spd O/D, Factory A/C
Engine: 300hp Cummins 855
Rated Cap: 91
10 speed pattern

Regarding that shift pattern you show. It appears indeed to be a 10 spd. If 4th and 9th are to the right and UP then it's NOT an overdrive, meaning 10th will be a direct drive 1:1, exactly like a 5spd or any other trans. in high gear. The tip off to Overdrive is when 4th and 9th are to the right and DOWN, reversed from normal 1,2,3, progression. This is built-in to the design of the Fuller (now Eaton-Fuller) Transmissions. Spicer's for instance use a different design and drive as if they were a two-speed axle with an air shifting splitter in each manual gear position, at least for their 10-spd version. Makes for more driver work and long term fatigue factor. That's why I prefer the Fuller RoadRanger design and may explain why they were used more often by Crown. They really had crack designers and engineers on staff. Their longevity and timelessness is proof enough of how well they were built.
Crown_Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2017, 12:12 AM   #23
Bus Crazy

I heard from my friend who has access to company records.

"This bus was delivered to Sanders PS with no fleet number. Serial is 34859.

It has a 220, a Fuller with full air shift, 91 passengers.

Interesting things - steel skins, dry wall pan to be filled with foam rubber up to 1" either side. 1/8" undercoating on under side of floor and side skins below floor.

Rear bumper guards must be tapered into body.

Washington-type rub rail at floor level."

That is some very interesting spe'c's.

I hope this helps.
Old 05-01-2017, 07:19 PM   #24

Year: 1964
Coachwork: Crown
Engine: Cummins NHH 220
Smile New Home for 1964 Crown Bus!

Hi there,

The Crown bus will soon have a new home! We are brand new to the bus world and are super excited. (And a little scared, my son will tell you, after he accompanied me on a quick test drive.) She is a magnificent beast and we will need to learn proper care and feeding.

I'm sure you will be hearing from us!

Looking forward to talking with you!
Rose Crown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2017, 07:54 PM   #25
Bus Geek

Coachwork: 97 Bluebird TC1000 5.9
Right back at you. We're all interested in seeing what you'll do with your Crown.
Old 05-01-2017, 11:06 PM   #26
Bus Crazy

Year: 1990
Coachwork: Crown, integral. (With 2kW of tiltable solar)
Chassis: Crown Supercoach II (rear engine)
Engine: Detroit 6V92TAC, DDEC 2, Jake brake, Allison HT740
Rated Cap: 37,400 lbs GVWR
In post 17 photo 3 is that a single axle drive? I've not seen a Crown exactly like that - the closest I've seen is my friend's 1955 tandem, the first ever three-axle school bus, that has what looks like a front axle for the front of the two rear axles, what looks like a military top-loader drive axle, and originally a belt-drive from each pair of drive wheels forward to the undriven wheels. Was your bus built as a school bus or was it a tour bus? The three-axle high-level tour buses such as the Atomics have only one driven axle, but until now I've never looked underneath one to see what the other rear axle looks like. (By this time next month I will however know for sure, because I'll be seeing my friend's Atomic up close for the first time. While everyone else is admiring Crowns from the outside, I prefer to put on my overalls and slide underneath with a flashlight to check out their nether regions!)

John
Iceni John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2017, 02:21 AM   #27

Hi John,
It is a dual drive axle setup with an IAD (inter axle differential) lock controlled by an air switch on the dash.
It was always a school bus before the conversion.
Thank you Cowlitzcoach (and friend) for the great info about the build

As you all have likely read, I have found a new family for this beauty. They are suuuuper excited to take her home and start tackling the learning curve.
GrandFatherTime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2017, 12:06 AM   #28

Hey Cowlitz (and anyone else who may know)
I have not been able to find the serial number "stamped on the frame above the motor on the drivers side". Does anyone have an idea if I am looking for a "big" (sizeable) stamp like the build number, or is it smaller? Position ( toward front of compartment or back)? I have attached pics of what I am seeing. There is a "shelf" (heat shield?) directly above the rear part of the motor that is mounted with screws to the frame, but I think it is factory and the number would not be likely to be under the flange? I guess if the number was stamped prior to the build it could be.
Ideas?
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0867.jpg   IMG_0866.jpg  
GrandFatherTime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2017, 01:22 AM   #29
Bus Crazy

IIRC, the stamped number was right about dead center in the frame rail as you look into the engine bay. Sort of directly above the center head of the engine.

The numbers were about one inch high.

But it has been quite a while since I looked in the driver's side engine compartment on any Crown.
Old 05-13-2017, 10:36 PM   #30

If I read your post correctly there are jakes on two heads the center and rear, because of a height problem, I couldn't see what the problem was in the pictures but when a 3 stage jake is set up they run the center head by it self or the front and back heads together and then all 3 heads, I would not run center and another head together, as stated above how to wire and operate them.
Aaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2017, 05:19 PM   #31

PLEASE tell me this is still available??
AmandatoryAdventure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2019, 02:32 PM   #32
Mini-Skoolie

The serial number or vin is located on the left or drivers side just above the engine on the frame rail. And mine is above the rear head of the cummins engine. It toward the bottom of the frame rail. The 5 numbers are only about 3/4" high. See if I can post a picture. It will be right where the white sticker is. This is a 1968 Crown
Attached Thumbnails
2016_0211_041427_001.jpg   2016_0211_041431_002.jpg  
HOGCAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2019, 09:09 AM   #33

Hi I’m actually newer to this site than you! I’m looking for a Crown because of the unique body as well as mechanical similarities to large trucks. I’m strictly concerned with the drivetrain and mechanics, conversion isn’t an issue.
Nightrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2019, 02:58 AM   #34
Bus Nut

Year: 1989
Coachwork: Crown Coach
Chassis: 40ft 3-axle 10spd O/D, Factory A/C
Engine: 300hp Cummins 855
Rated Cap: 91
Check out the twin Crown I have listed on Feb 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightrider View Post
Hi I’m actually newer to this site than you! I’m looking for a Crown because of the unique body as well as mechanical similarities to large trucks. I’m strictly concerned with the drivetrain and mechanics, conversion isn’t an issue.
I have listed on 2-1-19 the twin to the one you're discussing from early in 2018. It's the sequential VIN # twin to the previous one. Check the second and third pages in classified to find it, and the posting date. You should see it as '78 Crown etc.
I can't imagine how you missed the recent one, but found the older one.

The listing has info and my email which I suggest you use since it's better and more secure. This is just exactly as great a Crown as the previous one that sold. Contact me for details. Here mikemcc2k@yahoo.com
Crown_Guy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
40ft, conversion, crown, cummins, supercoach