Bus Geek

Year: 1992
Coachwork: Ward/AmTran
Chassis: International
Engine: dt466
Rated Cap: 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin97396 View Post
Anybody want to see pictures of the 3 1/2 rows of rivets I've chiseled off the interior roof panels so far? Or the, repeated, forehead injuries for walking into a hanging panel. Finally screwed them back up for now. You now how you have to stop doing work once in a while to get food. Well, most of you seem very married. Congratulations. Will you get 50%? Sorry, bad joke at the expense of women everywhere.
I actually love rivet removal pics, Robin!
Old 05-01-2016, 11:20 AM   #12
Bus Geek

Year: 1997
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: TC 1000
Engine: 5.9
Send a message via Yahoo to Robin97396
Well, as soon as I find my camera charger I'll get with it. I move into this bus in December and haven't been able to find the chargers for the phone or the camera since. I'm sure they're someplace safe.
I didn't get any pics while I was getting tires either. What is the world coming to?

CB, just for you; I got pics of about 2 1/2 rows of the rivets with my PC cam. I'll have to owe you a photo of the third row of rivets.

I keep busting off the tip of my air chisel while I'm pushing out the mandrels. I'm trying to do half the bus at a time until I get down to the empty shell. This is taking a terribly long time to show any progress on interior work. I'd much prefer to be putting a hitch on the bus so I can haul my trailer again. Every thing is a trade off.
Robin97396 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2016, 06:51 PM   #13
Bus Geek

Old 05-01-2016, 11:03 PM   #14
Bus Geek

Make sure the chuck is on tight, and the tool gets a few drops of oil per day.
How's your compressor, can it keep up with the air chisel?
Awesome to finally see who I'm talking to, man!

Your bus looks like the one I just de-riveted. The bluebirds have maybe half the rivets my Ward had. The Ward was ridiculous!
getting all that paneling and moldy insulation out felt great then I realized there was the tar, rust, and leaks to deal with.
Old 05-02-2016, 12:21 AM   #15
Bus Geek

It finally dawned on me that I could take pics with the laptop, but the laptop is on a wired internet link so it's got a short leash. Yeah, it would be interesting to do a little conference calling sometimes and put faces to the threads, but with this many time zones it gets difficult.

That tar on the inside of the exterior skin must have been their effort toward rust prevention or maybe an effort to control condensation. Mine has it. Now that I've seen them use tar I don't feel so bad about using blackjack on the floor of my first bus before putting ply back down.

This bus stuff is pretty cool because we don't have building codes and there's so many ways to skin a cat.
Old 05-04-2016, 10:11 PM   #16
Bus Crazy

Year: 1988
Coachwork: Crown / Pusher
Engine: 8.3 Cummins
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin97396 View Post
It finally dawned on me that I could take pics with the laptop, but the laptop is on a wired internet link so it's got a short leash. Yeah, it would be interesting to do a little conference calling sometimes and put faces to the threads, but with this many time zones it gets difficult. .
Hmmmmmm a Skoolie video chat room, Hmmmmmmmmm.
Stu & Filo. T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2016, 10:30 PM   #17
Bus Geek

Yeah, that would eat up my download allowance in about 10 minutes.
Old 05-04-2016, 11:02 PM   #18
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by EastCoastCB View Post
Make sure the chuck is on tight, and the tool gets a few drops of oil per day.
How's your compressor, can it keep up with the air chisel?
Awesome to finally see who I'm talking to, man!

Your bus looks like the one I just de-riveted. The bluebirds have maybe half the rivets my Ward had. The Ward was ridiculous!
getting all that paneling and moldy insulation out felt great then I realized there was the tar, rust, and leaks to deal with.
So far I've been very lucky with this bus. Not a bad buy at 2.6k, and the new rubber all around did double that. Didn't know about the 545 when I bought this but it's doing ok. These rivets are made from some really good quality steel. I'm impressed, but my air chisel set is tougher even though I have to sharpen them up now and then. The punch to get the mandrels pushed out is what I keep breaking off. I've ground off at least an inch by putting a tip back on the punch a number of times. I think I've got some method now but I haven't gotten back to working on the bus for a number of days. At this rate I'll need about 10 years to get this bus done but there are so many distractions. If I'm still driving this bus in ten years I'll be very happy regardless of its completeness.
I think that's the ticket. I just need drive more and go south during the winters.
Old 05-04-2016, 11:40 PM   #19
Bus Geek

Are you using a bit on the air hammer or a hammer and punch?
The second one in this set is what I've taken out the mandrels with on at least a couple thousand rivets with and it could easily do a couple thousand more.
Old 05-05-2016, 07:13 AM   #20
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International S3800
Engine: DT360
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
I still really dont understand the Hate for the AT545.. when i was driving busses all across the country as a teenager in the mid 80s.. wouldnt those have likely been 545s? at least the brand new Bluebirds?

my last bus was a 545 with a 454 engine that I beefed up and never exploded the transmission...

I think after seeing all the ceiling downing pics and tales of rivets.. I believe I have made the decision to leave my ceiling UP in my bus.. lolol

-Christopher
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote